Guns N' Roses
Appetite for Destruction

by Daniel Dias USER (66 Reviews)
June 24th, 2013 | 127 replies

Release Date: 1987 | Tracklist

I want to write a personal and more intimal review this time. I mean, you all know "Appetite For Destruction", whether you like it or not. If you go to a stadium or an arena, or if you're watching hockey, "Welcome To The Jungle" will be playing. "Sweet Child O'Mine" is always on the radio. I could go on... It's irrelevant reviewing this album in the "ordinary" way. It can actually be a little silly and dumb. Besides, I have a very special relationship with this album. Therefore, let me tell you my story.

In 2004, I heard "Appetite For Destruction" for the first time. I was probably in the 5th or 6th grade and I loved it. I thought it kicked ass! And, just like a little kid, I listened to it over and over again... In two weeks, I thought it was the best album I would ever have. Evidently, with the course of time, I started to hear and dig other bands and musical genres, but "Appetite For Destruction" continues to be a landmark. To the world of music and to me. It continues to be one of my favorite hard rock albums of all time. People often say that I'm too young to like or to "understand" the Guns n' Roses. When I mention Axl's name, my friends tell me he's a a drunk and a junkie who does not deserve the recognition he has. Be that as it may, though, I think he's an awesome, incredible singer. I also think "Appetite For Destruction" defined my kind of music. It had a major impact in my life. As I grew up, AfD represented "the soundtrack of my life".

Last year I listened to AfD again. It had been a long time since I got the chance to listen to it. I wanted to see if anything had changed. In that same year --2012-- AfD celebrated 25 years of existence. I dropped by a newsstand and AfD was in the cover of a music magazine. I purchased it, and I read the album's review. The reviewer claimed that it marked a generation, but he pointed out "major flaws" and a "lack of cohesion in the record as a whole". I disagreed at first but then I started to think: "What if it's true?". "I may have an exaggerated opinion". Since I was a little kid, when I heard it for the first time, I could have developed a biased opinion. I tried to clear my doubts, giving it another spin.

As we all know, the first song of the album is "Welcome To The Jungle". This thought was runnin' through my mind: "How can this guy say that it's overrated? This rules!". "Welcome To The Jungle" is undeniably awesome. You can't help it but sing along with it. It was so overplayed... But it continues to be a defining moment in the scene of hard rock. I continued to defend my stand and my opinions. "Nightrain" helped me even more. When I first listened to AfD, "Nightrain" was one of my favorites. After 8 years, it remained as one of the best highlights of this masterpiece. Axl's work on "Mr. Brownstone" was phenomenal. His semi-rapped bridge always caught my attention back in '04. I didn't care about the chorus when I was younger, but now I started to enjoy it. Don't even make me mention "Paradise City". It doesn't need presentations at all. AfD still deserved my 5/5. Top notch!

There was one difference... I started to notice flaws myself. I can now recognize fillers and minor details that make a big impact in the product as a whole. "Out Ta Get Me" is purely bland in my non-biased opinion. "You're Crazy" looks a lot better in the acoustic's "GnR Lies" version. "Anything Goes", although being an OK song, is not as good in comparision... I considered my 5/5 for just a bit. But then I started thinking... "This was an album that marked me in many, many ways. With AfD, I discovered my inner-me, music wise. Because of the impact that it had in me, it is completely, perfectly worthy of my 5/5". Plus, when AfD hit the stores, it had a monstruous impact. It is a classic!

That's my side of the story, people. Probably, though, some of you might hate it. I know it's not a proper review, but "Appetite For Destruction" doesn't need a review. It doesn't need a presentation at all. I wanted to take advantage of that fact, writing a personal story. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did --Please don't screw my approval's percentage--

Recommended Tracks: