Misery Signals
Mirrors

by Flut USER (17 Reviews)
June 22nd, 2013 | 26 replies | 1,020 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

A new singer, and a change of direction in their sound. Misery Signals released their next album. Jesse left and Karl joined in. A new producer which helped changed the sound more, even if the change wasn't that good or made the new sound worse. The one thing this album sounds like to me is that they tried to reach a goal with this new minor direction and wasn't able to achieve it, while Controller does sound like what they were originally reaching for.

The band starts to focus a lot more on dynamics and progressive elements. More time signature changes, more clean guitar and more heavy with melodic sections. The guitars bring i think even more to the table than Of Malice did, in regards to variety and how well it flows together. They drop the chaotic song structure and go for a more sensible structure. The clean guitar sections build up better than before. Almost in a post-metal sort of way. A lot of drum building up and bass work with the clean guitars are well written and put together. The Failsafe is a perfect example. With a fast stop into the clean, then builds back into the distorted guitar into a breakdown. All with one great build up. Then the song builds down to more clean guitar in the outro, then closing with two clean guitars harmonizing with the bass guitar adding some nice work underneath it all. In Something Was Always Missing, But It Was Never You starts off with a relaxing clean section, then the guitars rise into a melodic chord part with leads. The guitars and bright, and heavy across all the songs. A lot of the tracks have great chords either melodic or heavy, you don't get much regular boring riffs you always here in the genre. Something this band does great. A lot of post-metal influence in this record.

The new producer does a lesser job than Devin did, the bass sounds flat. You can still hear it though, but the guitars don't really sound punchy. Its just a bit bland overall, it doesn't even have a raw sound like the last album. Another reason this album just didn't fully deliver. That being said, the production doesn't ruin the album at all. But i found that it feels and sounds strange compared to the other albums produced by Devin.

The new vocalist Karl still brings the home hitting lyrics like Jesse did. Though a lot are about the bigger picture of things and can be less personal than Jesse's lyrics were. But he brings a lot of strength in his voice. His dynamic isn't all that good. A lot better here than Controller. He stays in a low, mid range though. Sounds like a cannon going off, so it makes up for the lack of variety in his voice. On One Day I'll Stay Home Patrick Stump makes a guest appearance. He sings great in the chorus and before the last chorus. In a part where he builds up with the guitar until in explodes going back into the chorus. Giving some variety in the vocal department.

The drums and bass still do great, the bass does great work under the guitars. Especially in the clean sections. In Anchors there are a few moments where the bass does some nice technical work. The drums still hit hard, and manage to do some fancy work without being too much.They help the guitars build up, or change the flow and really help more things forward with the progressive elements. But I find if the production was more bright and thicker sounds it would have really helped with the double bass tone and the bass guitar tone.

Overall this album is a great bridge to Controller. But for some this might be better. The writing has post-metal influence and less of overly clean production. Its heavy, diverse and progressive.