Frank Zappa
Lumpy Gravy (Capitol Version)

1.0
awful

by Thing-Fish USER (37 Reviews)
June 22nd, 2013 | 59 replies | 2,681 views

Release Date: 1967 | Tracklist

Review Summary: No commercial potential indeed...

There are times when two completely different things do not mesh well together, like smothering ketchup on a medium rare steak, ruining the whole meal. Another grouping that doesn’t work at all is the mix of Frank Zappa and “bad music”. On the original version of ‘Lumpy Gravy’, these two extremely polar opposites come together to make one of the, if not the most, disappointing piece of music Zappa has ever produced.

‘Lumpy Gravy’ contains several ideas from Zappa, and with this album, those ideas fail to gel, and in comparison to his work with The Mothers of Invention and his later work, make his work on ‘Lumpy Gravy’ look extremely unprofessional. From first listen, there is absolutely nothing enticing to the ear, which is unlike Zappa, whose use of odd instruments and quirky dialogue, made for a fun experience. On here however, none of those are present, making for an emotionless experience. ‘Gravy’ somehow manages to be sterile as well, with nothing lively coming out of the woodworks, making the extremely short album, all twenty minutes of it, seem as it was rushed with no aspirations of making any influence whatsoever on the buying public.

Not long after the original release of ‘Lumpy Gravy’, it would be pulled from retailers after MGM filed a lawsuit, claiming that the release of the album on Capitol Records violated Zappa’s contract with the label. The album would be re-edited and re-released the following year with new music and dialogue split into two parts. Considering the big difference between the two version of ‘Lumpy Gravy’, it was for the best that a superior version came along.

‘Lumpy Gravy’, unlike any of Zappa’s other material, manages not only to disappoint, but also to bore the listener as well. It is only essential for a hardcore Zappa fan looking to absorb every single note of his discography. Zappa named his project, which included this album, “No Commercial Potential”. When looking back at it, there is no potential in this album in any way.

The Mothers of Invention Uncle MeatOctobre Octobre
St. Vincent St. VincentThe Uniques From The Dust
The Enid Something Wicked This Way ComesDry Satire Demo
1.7
very poor

June 22nd 2013

I might as well get ready for the ghost negs considering I already got one.
I'd like feedback though.

Digging: Molecular Corporation - Ambient Sputnik and The Dancing Government

sanic

not bad

dannyboy89
June 22nd 2013

Since there's another album with the Lumpy Gravy name, perhaps you
could point out, with more detail, why this is a weaker version of it.

I pos'd anyway.

Also:

when you try mix incompatible chemicals
paragraph)

Digging: Radiohead - Amnesiac

June 22nd 2013

I flat out listed it was the original version, but thanks.

StallionMang
June 22nd 2013

So... why didn't you just review the original album?

Digging: Panda Bear - Person Pitch

I did.

Ire

zappp

tommygun
June 23rd 2013

when you pair two polar opposites together.

opposites attract do your chemistry homework frippman!

June 23rd 2013

spoiler: not doing chemistry until I'm a senior in high school-- three more years. Damn double
negatives!

lol what

Digging: More Than Life - What's Left Of Me

June 23rd 2013

(Capitol Version). I know you are reviewing the original album, but I'm curious to know what the difference is :/

wait. are you 13?

ksoflas

Pos'd cause you are 13!

^

wtf?

June 23rd 2013

@ Viper I'll 16 in October; @Dr. Gonzo the original has completely different pieces, is lacking in the quirkiness of other Zappa releases, it seems like it doesn't go anywhere with its themes, and is just bland in every sense of the word. It has to be his worst release, and is quite unfortunate. You're better off with the 1968 edited release.

Link to the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw2NvS9BPwg

June 23rd 2013

Cheers man, I'll check it out.

June 23rd 2013

did you stay a few classes?

what do you mean?