Deep Purple
The Book of Taliesyn

by ElectricFuneral9719 USER (43 Reviews)
June 22nd, 2013 | 16 replies | 437 views

Release Date: 1968 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Turning The Page

Deep Purple, while being away from what would become their signature sound on 'Shades Of Deep Purple', still stood out for their brilliant musicianship on the album, and 'The Book Of Taliesyn' shows signs of progression for the band: the original songs are more ambitious, there are several musical experiments (like the drum sound on 'Shield'), the covers are more morphed into their own sound, the performance is much better and the production is far cleaner than on the début. Unfortunately, this album gets continuously underrated, as it has the misfortune of being in the middle of 'Shades Of Deep Purple', a fairly safe album with a raw charm, and 'Deep Purple', a progressive and polished album. This leads to many people either preferring one or the other and dismissing this one as a transitional album. Although it is in fact bridging the gap between 'Shades Of Deep Purple' and 'Deep Purple', it has some top quality material.

'Shield', for example, is a masterpiece; full of subtlety, great melodies and originality. The opener, 'Listen, Learn, Read On' is also a stand-out, as it is the most similar to a Mark II era song (it is the most similar to 'Highway Star') out of anything by Mark I, although 'Wring That Neck' is quite close as well due to the virtuosity and dynamics contained within. The original songs on here are undoubtedly a step up from the début's.

The covers, however, are still fairly numerous (though they are not half the tracks) and are very similar in to the covers on the previous album; 'Kentucky Woman' resembles 'Hush, 'We Can Work It Out' is another Beatles cover and 'River Deep, Mountain High' gets a similar treatment to 'Hey Joe', though it is less awkward sounding in the transitions from original material to the cover. The musical additions to the covers, just like on 'Shades Of Deep Purple, sounds great, but it may make the listener wonder why they didn't just make original songs out of them.

Each member of Deep Purple has improved greatly over the six month gap between 'Shades Of Deep Purple' and this album, as they all are forging an identity for themselves. Even Rod Evans, who wasn't all that distinctive before, starts to show off impressive range and dynamics here which adds to the liveliness of the overall performance. Ritchie Blackmore is also beginning to show what he is really capable of, with memorable riffs, flashy solos and a nice guitar tone.

Overall, 'The Book Of Taliesyn' is a fair improvement from Deep Purple's début, but hasn't quite got rid of the covers that hurt that album in a major way, However, this would soon change when they made their self titled album.

Megadeth EndgameMegadeth United Abominations
Megadeth The System Has FailedMegadeth The World Needs a Hero
Megadeth RiskMegadeth Cryptic Writings
3.3
Matthijs van der Lee (3)
Mark I ditches some of the pop, writes some more covers, and meanwhile move closer to the sound that...

June 22nd 2013

Not a fan of this album, but the band would improve so much

Digging: Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

awesome fuckin album dude cmon 2.0? turn the page and read the book bro

great review too, pos'd

June 22nd 2013

The album is good but the songs were totally different live. Wring That Neck is one of my favorite live jams by Purple.

Digging: Jan Akkerman - Tabernakel

June 22nd 2013

opener is seriously the best song ive ever heard

lol

June 22nd 2013

sorry i dont like it at all, except for a few moments here and there but poor overall imo

June 22nd 2013

dude im not surprised given your taste, i mean do you even rock at all?

like how in fuck can someone really think painkiller is the best priest album

not trying to be a dick im just utterly confused here

June 22nd 2013

Painkiller is easily my fav Priest album, and I'm not ashamed of it, its a gem. Plus, im sure im not the only one, but then i dont give a fuck, cause my taste wont change. I prefer to stay true to myself, and I enjoy Painkiller the most, better than Sad Wings and any other shit by them.

I might have shitty taste, yeah, but who cares dude let me tell you something i prefer virtual XI over BNW or Dance of Death, so.

June 22nd 2013

lol you're entitled to your own taste bro im just struggling to understand it

i guess what i meant was it seems you arent much of a classic rock guy which explains why you arent to big on 70s priest and shit

and yeah ive never heard 90s maiden so that last sentence is irrelevant to me

June 22nd 2013

you're right im not much into classic rock, but I like judas quite a lot, but for example, sad wings is a solid 4 or even 4,5 for me, but i will always regard Painkiller as a 5 (also my first priest album so)

I admit i have strange taste bro but its like that i cant change it

btw virtual xi is a great album if you ask me idk why is so underrated

June 23rd 2013

Facundo, listen to Wring That Neck live and you will become a classic rock fan.

Seriously, best live act ever.

ViperAces
June 23rd 2013

i always wanted to lsiten to this purple era because of the artworks and album titles

JamieTwort

Wring That Neck is one of my favorite live jams by Purple. [2]

The super long version on Scandinavian Nights is probably my favourite live performance of that song.

Digging: Benoit Pioulard - Hymnal Remixes

June 23rd 2013

35 minutes of awesomeness.

will check