The Custodian
Necessary Wasted Time

by Jacob R. STAFF
June 22nd, 2013 | 21 replies

Release Date: 06/18/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One success of many to come.

When looking up information on The Custodian, I found this particularly illustrious biography:

“No long-winded, awfully self-indulgent biography available. We are simply here.”

This is why The Custodian stands out from the rest of the progressive rock crowd, because they aren’t trying to. For starters, look at the band name-- it’s inconspicuous, and there’s something admirable about that. The group could’ve gone with something more flashy, but they simply didn't desire to do so.

And considering the style of the group’s first album, its name fits the bill rather well. Necessary Wasted Time is a melodic breeze, tasteful and sensible, and this was The Custodian’s goal for the record. They draw influence from the progressive rock of the seventies, by forming the music's basis through tight songwriting, and filling in the gaps with instrumental interplay.

There’s one thing in particular that’s written all over Necessary Wasted Time-- how much these guys care about the music they write. The Custodian just wants to find an addictive melody, and work with it in as many ways as possible. The group understands structuring, and how to successfully introduce new elements while maintaining particular motifs. Through the cycles, though, the music maintains a consistency that makes every song something special. At each turn it knows exactly what it wants to express, and that message happens to be more simple and heartfelt than most of the group’s contemporaries. There isn’t an obvious influence on The Custodian from today’s progressive, but if I had to guess somebody I’d say Steven Wilson, and his rather straightforward take on progressive. Still, though, Wilson hasn’t ever given me the impression that he’s crafted his work to a dependable level. Necessary Wasted Time doesn’t miss a beat, and it’s all the more impressive because of it.

There are obvious places where The Custodian can improve. Richard Thomson, (despite his vastly different work with progressive metal group Xerath,) sometimes sings too similarly to Mikael Akerfeldt, and his lyrics are sometimes a bit vexing (like in the title track and its vague technology theme.) But for a such a promising debut from these guys, such petty types of grievances seem to miss the point. Regarding Thomson, the familiar vocals he offers work very well for the music at hand-- considering that, after all, the group isn’t going out of its way to sound unique. Necessary Wasted Time is refreshing because, well, it just is-- there’s nothing more to it. And The Custodian wouldn’t bother convincing you of anything else.

The Contortionist LanguageMaybeshewill Fair Youth
Fallujah The Flesh PrevailsEvery Time I Die From Parts Unknown
Baths Ocean DeathClosure in Moscow Pink Lemonade

"Stop Talking" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYUoesSRBM0
"Other People's Lives" (my favorite) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xhcn9b2-HA
"Necessary Wasted Time" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDSKSU40qak

Purchase the album here, if you like what you hear:

Also, this review came a little slowly to me. I find it harder to write about new bands, since there's much less of a
context. But these guys are very impressive, and they deserve all the attention they can get.

Rev
June 21st 2013

Great review man, doesn't seem like quite my thing though

June 21st 2013

Thanks Dylan. I honestly don't dig this review as much as I'd like-- it was a hard one to write. I may start writing about electronic releases more, as I think my Gold Panda one came to me really naturally.

Speaking of, have you heard the new Jon Hopkins album?

Calc
June 21st 2013

will read when eventually featured.

Nomos
June 22nd 2013

Really liking this so far

Catatonic
June 22nd 2013

This isn't my preferred genre but I am digging it.

PostMesmeric
June 22nd 2013

I heard this album a while ago. It's really different in that, like what was said in the review, it's steady and doesn't indulge itself. Very organic and natural-sounding prog music. Nice.

Acanthus
June 22nd 2013

Very organic and natural-sounding prog music.

A little too much so for my tastes sadly, laid back too.

Digging: The Knife - Deep Cuts

June 22nd 2013

Yeah, there's certainly an argument for this album being too natural and easygoing. It never really cries for your attention, and I can see that detracting from some peoples' experiences with it.

RuanCSC
June 22nd 2013

This sounds very interesting.

TheSpaceMan
June 23rd 2013

Solid review man, so the band sounds like a Porcupine Tree fronted by Mikael Akerfeldt? That sounds like a lack-luster amalgamation but I'll definitely give it a listen

Ecnalzen
June 23rd 2013

Listened to the first two of the three tracks you posted and didn't really get much out them. Nice review though; it got
me to listen to give them a try.

June 23rd 2013

Spaceman, I wouldn't rely too much on my comparisons. Those names ring a bell for me, but I'm not as well-versed in flat-out progressive as I could be, so I can't guarantee the same results for you guys. I'd advise you to just listen to a song or two and see what you think.

And thanks guys.

theacademy

is this modern metalcore

Digging: Jessie Ware - Tough Love

Willie
June 24th 2013

I liked the music, but couldn't get into the vocals.

xopethx
June 24th 2013

How the fuck is this 'organic' at all? EZDrummer + everything on a grid = programmed inorganic music. And if these are real drums, well they went to a lot of trouble to make them sound fake.

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

Well ok!

mindleviticus
June 25th 2013

Lol who the fuck cares

It's great music and it's a great review

beefshoes
June 26th 2013

These guys followed me on Twitter a couple of months ago. Sweet stuff. There's definitely a bit of a Prog Rock revival in London these days.

Digging: Devin Townsend Project - Z2