Thirty Seconds to Mars
Love Lust Faith + Dreams

by Alex Beebe USER (126 Reviews)
June 17th, 2013 | 287 replies | 9,624 views

Release Date: 05/21/2013 | Tracklist

Whether you're a fan or a detester of his work both musically and in film, there's no denying that Jared Leto is an avid enthusiast of being ambitious. What the ambitious ideas he's incorporated into the styles his band 30 Seconds to Mars have tackled on their albums have always lacked is focus and guidance. The first two outings from 30 Seconds to Mars were both awkward amalgamations of space rock, post-hardcore, and alternative rock that could hardly be taken seriously in how slipshod the half-baked ideas were utilized, and despite the band’s best attempts to be outlandish, the music never fully developed into its own, and the forced artiness came off as pretentious more than anything.

30 Seconds to Mars’ work has seen slight but notable progressions into maturity. Even their third album, the U2-aping This Is War was undeniably a step up from the attenuated progressive emo they were going for with albums like A Beautiful Lie. Now returning four years later, it’s clearly apparent on the group’s latest effort Love Lust Faith + Dreams that not only has Leto found an identity amidst his abundance of experimental ideas, but he has also finally learned to employ discipline over the music of 30 Seconds to Mars. While Love Lust Faith + Dreams without a doubt contains the most mature music they group has ever produced, it’s ironically the album where the group embraces pop song structures the most. Heavy emphasis is put on earworm hooks here, but it all actually sound sophisticated and with intent. What’s matured the most is without question Leto’s vocal delivery, which sounds completely renewed in comparison to his whiny and shrill cries of past hits “The Kill.” The Coldplay-esque arena melodies are cranked out on nearly every chorus, but they actually take flight and soar to the rafters; having the ability to incite infectious chant-alongs instead of falling flat.

Love Lust Faith + Dreams also feels purposeful conceptually. It appears that Leto has finally learned to settle upon a single source of inspiration to take prominence on an album at its core, so that other music styles can then properly be incorporated comfortably. His inspiration? It would appear to be the classy progressive pop of Genesis. At its center this album is almost like a tribute to the forward-thinking rock scenes of the '70s. There’s arguably hints of inspiration taken from krautrock, and the atmosphere behind the symphonies are more reminiscent of new age music this time out, while the prominently electronic-based production recalls Kraftwerk if anything. Regardless, this is the smartest approach 30 Seconds to Mars have taken to constructing their music. No two conflicting elements are battling for dominance, or even to just be noticed on this album. That refinement shows a definite handle on their craft, and it makes this a better album than anything they’ve done before it. The vintage analog-synths wouldn’t glimmer as much as they do if the slick coat of poppy frost interfered as opposed to harmonizing.

The icy textures and wistfully cold atmosphere still play a key role here as they have with all of the group’s prior albums, but underneath that shimmering tundra is an evidently reignited flame at its core that's burning with hunger and determination. Though its appeal is tentative and may bring uncertainty to fans upon first listens, Love Lust Faith + Dreams is a fast grower, the most immediately satisfying and overall balanced music from the group to date, and possesses a sense of direction more keen than what most would expect. It’s clear that this all can be credited to how the group is now fully grown, and completely sure of where it’s going in the offbeat, yet rewarding little sub-world in neo-prog that 30 Seconds to Mars have etched out for themselves.

Les Claypool's Duo de Twang Four Foot ShackPeriphery Clear
Nickelback The Best of Nickelback Volume 1Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP 2
Active Child RaporJustin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2
2.3

June 17th 2013

Was meaning to review this a while back. It seems pretty hated by the rest of the site, but I honestly dig this so much more than anything else from this group, and that was the last reaction I'd expect myself to have when I first went into this album.

Digging: The Blood of Heroes - The Blood Of Heroes

Rowan5215
June 17th 2013

Disagreed with almost everything you said, but great review.

Digging: Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

SCREAMorphine

Great review man.

I've had my moments with 30 Seconds to Mars but always out grew them.

Gwyn.
June 17th 2013

Why is every single one of your ratings the same as Allmusic

Digging: diSEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence into the Peripheral

Gwyn.
June 17th 2013

ok that's still bugging me but the review was actually pretty good so there you go

Doesn't really read like a 3.5 tho, kind of a gush-y review for a rating like that which makes me wander even more about your ratings but whatever

fromtheinside
June 17th 2013

this is so bad how are you even able to defend this

Digging: Transcending Bizarre? - The Serpent's Manifolds

June 17th 2013

3.5/5s to me are albums that are above average but have one or two flaws worth noting that prevent them from being a 4. At the beginning of my second to last sentence in this review I talk about my one gripe with this. And yeah, it's pretty hastily thrown in there at the last minute in kind of a shitty way, my bad. And idk dude, I find myself agreeing with allmusic's ratings a lot lol. I wouldn't say it's ALL the time though.

fromtheinside

your def of a 3.5 then sounds like mine of a 2.5

June 17th 2013

Yeah it's pretty weird with me. I think that's why it seems to everyone that I can be too easy with my ratings. If I find something mediocre for the genre it's apart of, chances are I'll most likely just settle on a 3.

insomniac15
June 17th 2013

Great review. I always associate these guys with Muse (post-Black Holes and Revelations Muse). Also, I don't like Jared Leto, I don't understand all the people who say he is so great (I guess more girls than guys, but still). This is why I never really checked these guys out.

Digging: Amplifier - Mystoria

Thank you brudda. And yeah, whenever "neo-prog" is mentioned I think Coheed,
Muse, and then these guys lastly. Also, it's true, Leto's a pompus douche it seems.
Guy is pretty commited to his roles as an actor though, which I respect.

insomniac15
June 17th 2013

Yeah, it's better sometimes to be more pretentious and ambitious. I guess that's what made these guys famous (plus Leto's acting roles). This Is War aimed to be huge and I thought this was them collapsing under their own weight. I'll check it out.

Of all the neo-prog I've listened to (not much), Coheed and Cambria are the best and least diluted.

fish.

your def of a 3.5 then sounds like mine of a 2.5 [2]

gap between 3.5 and 4 is massive for me

Digging: Gesaffelstein - Aleph

June 17th 2013

Great review though I disagree with a lot of it. I really disagree about taking their first two albums seriously. Their s/t was incredibly impressive an theyre most mature work to date IMO fallen is a masterful song. Maybe it was because it didn't hav the pretentiousness of their third and fourth I love it so much.

VigorousDuck13
June 18th 2013

I honestly don't see how people think this is the worst of the band. It for me was an album I enjoyed all the way through with the band. The obnoxious screaming and way-ohs seems to be cut back, which I was thrilled about. Over all I think the album as well as the review is excellent. Great job.

June 18th 2013

@VigorousDuck13: Some reasons I thought it was bad was because I didn't like his vocals on this one and that the lyrics kinda sucked. I prefer they're previous releases. Though City of Angels is great and I do agree with you on the choruses being cut back.

VigorousDuck13
June 19th 2013

@Mongi123: I thought the lyrics were improved. Sure night of the hunter was a cool sounding song. But "Honest to god I will break your heart. Tear you to pieces and rip you apart." What's worse than that? I thought the vocals were improved too. End Of All Days was another least favorite by everyone but I thought it was flawless. One of the band's best song to date. The album isn't on the lines of The Joshua Tree, even though it takes after it in some cases. (City Of Angels.) I still think the album is more enjoyable throughout then the past work. I think this could have even been their best work if A Beautiful Lie wasn't in the picture. You're entitled to your opinion though!

June 19th 2013

@VigorousDuck Yea to each's own! I just love the poetic nonsense of their s/t. It's songs like 93 Million Miles and Fallen that make me love it so much. And I agree that line in NOTH is weird and stupid. Never really a fan of TIW which is prob why I'm not a fan of this.

Green Baron
June 20th 2013

19889 Comments

s/t = a beautiful lie >>>>>>>>>> this is war >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LLF+D

Digging: Royal Blood - Royal Blood