Master Musicians Of Bukkake
Far West

by Raul Stanciu STAFF
June 14th, 2013 | 22 replies | 3,599 views

Release Date: 06/11/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A change in direction and spirituality.

After finishing the Totem trilogy, which saw Master Musicians Of Bukkake going to great lengths to convey the listener into an ethereal world, the band is now free to create a different universe through their ritualistic journeys. The Totem records were characterized by labyrinthine sonic experiments combined with several Eastern influences, using a multitude of exotic patterns and instruments to create an authentic musical mix. There are few moments where MMOB's boundless psychedelia can be called conventional and for the better of it.

However, their latest output, Far West, is, as the title suggests, a significant turn in vision and atmosphere. The band is trying to recreate, in their own vision, the shamanic ceremonials taking place for millennia in the western part of the world. There is an enigmatic atmosphere surrounding the record, peaking at the most representative track, the centerpiece 'The Cave Of Light: Prima Materia'. With its' cinematic Gregorian chants and monastic vocal delivery, is one of the most focused tracks the band has churned yet. Not much is revealed about the overall theme, leaving the listener to discover its' brooding, arcane origins. The ritual ends with the stark, drone counterpart, 'You Are A Dream Like Your Dreamer: The Dark Peace', feeling like a pagan burial soundtrack.

Even though, Master Musicians Of Bukkake change direction, there are remnants of the original Eastern influences. They can be best heard on the first couple of tracks, 'γη-νομος / Gnomi', and to a certain extent on "White Mountain Return", feeling like the beginning of the journey to the western world. The latter, however, tricks the listener with the pulsing electronic percussion and noisy modular synthesizers, before switching to a more familiar ground. These experiments are welcomed, as they are carefully included and arranged with the rest of the segments. In fact, this ability to take such different sounds and successfully piece them all together is a major positive aspect of MMOB, keeping them a constantly unpredictable band.

Unfortunately, as with other MMOB records, Far West lacks substance, feeling somewhat incomplete. Yes, there are many interesting passages and transcending moments, but there is not enough "tangible" material left underneath. For example, 'Arche''s minimalistic approach takes four minutes to rise, only to fade the same way it started, without culminating at any point. Also, much like the records preceding it, but taken separately, Far West feels like a part of a bigger picture, a beginning of a new journey. The band took three years to craft the Totem records, so it would be logical to further expand the current sonic palette that flourishes towards the end of the album.

In the end, Far West is another solid effort that only deepens the misty path Master Musicians Of Bukkake have taken, always pushing the music in front and never revealing its' true origins. These guys are great musicians indeed, but their charm needs certain moods to bloom and an open minded approach to the discography. This record, however, might be the easiest to digest yet, as it's best moments are both career highlights and less dense, focusing instead on the atmosphere without overcrowding with unnecessary additions. Also, there is more focus and coherence overall, thus hinting towards the possibility of a magnum opus in the near future.

Causa Sui Pewt'r Sessions 3Karma To Burn Arch Stanton
Yawning Man Nomadic PursuitsSeven That Spells The Death And Resurrection Of Krautrock: IO
Tim Bowness Abandoned Dancehall DreamsWo Fat The Conjuring
good

June 14th 2013

Dig it. Constructive criticism appreciated as always.

Cave Of Light - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCjH2bcd5Vg
White Mountain Return - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zof_tW4HrT0
Gnomi - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDnlztE9Yog

Digging: Amplifier - Mystoria

breakingthefragile
June 14th 2013

Quite the eye-grabbing band name. Will check these guys out.

Digging: Lonely the Brave - The Day's War

sixdegrees

bukkake

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

breakingthefragile
June 14th 2013

Is that really what the name is reffering to or is my mind just too far gone into perversion lol.

June 14th 2013

It's a spoof on Master Musicians Of Joujouka, but yeah, it's bukkake, lol. The name's what made me check them out too.

SgtPepper
June 14th 2013

Great review as always, man. I haven't heard these guys yet, so I'll give them a try tonight maybe.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

Iamthe Nightstars
June 14th 2013

What else would it be referring to?

Digging: Few And Far Between - Three

June 14th 2013

Thanks. I think you'll dig them Hernan, it's unconventional psychedelic stuff. Definitely check out the Totem trilogy as they are even more experimental.

JamieTwort

20464 Comments

Excellent review.

Need to check this.

SgtPepper

@insomniac
I'll check it out, thanks.

Thanks Jamie.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Oh, my.

Digging: Orange - Orange

alachlahol
June 14th 2013

kinda contradicting yourself by sayin this album lacks substance n feels incomplete then in the last paragraph sayin theres more of a focus on coherence

alachlahol
June 14th 2013

insomniac have you listened to any of the previous totems??

June 14th 2013

I was thinking the material here is more focused than before. Overall there is a lack of substance (maybe the short length of the album is the main reason), but the songs are more settled (I hope it makes sense). I listened to the Totems and I enjoy them, but they are more chaotic and exhaustive than Far West IMO.

AdolfChrist
June 14th 2013

i just listened to a few songs from these guys and im wondering how the fuck 3 of their albums only
have a 3.3 average.

June 14th 2013

I don't know man. I'm considering rising my 3.5 to a 4 soon. It's slowly growing on me and it's a slightly different affair from the other records released before.