Andrew McMahon
The Pop Underground

by Atari CONTRIBUTOR (111 Reviews)
June 7th, 2013 | 34 replies

Release Date: 04/30/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Andrew McMahon's first solo effort makes a few tweaks to the Jack's Mannequin formula, but it's packed with the same kind of sunny pop-rock fans have grown to love.

Pop-rock musician Andrew McMahon has been putting all his blood, sweat, and tears into his musical projects for well over a decade. From his first pop-punk band Something Corporate, to his more ambitious Jack’s Mannequin, he has toured the world extensively. This is enough to take its toll on anybody, let alone somebody who has suffered through and survived Leukemia at such a young age. However, despite the fact that so much hard work could exhaust his musical inspirations, McMahon sounds as passionate as ever on his first solo effort entitled The Pop Underground.

Although this time around McMahon’s music is backed by the delicate use of electronics, it’s not as much of a departure from his previous works as one might expect. The opening track ‘Synesthesia’ sounds like something that would have fit nicely on Jack Mannequin’s last album, People and Things. The subtle use of synths help add flavor to the song, but it’s still the same kind of sunshine-filled pop we have come to expect from McMahon. With only 4 tracks crammed into the EP, the remaining tunes can’t quite stack up to the opener, but ‘After The Fire’ comes pretty damn close. It’s sure to become a fan favorite with its upbeat piano and sing-a-long chorus.

The other two songs take more time to digest, but due to the outstanding lyrics they aren’t any less rewarding. ‘Learn to Dance’ hits hard emotionally as McMahon sings powerful lines such as “I see the eyes of my unborn children, and I’m filled with the love I will give them.” It’s this kind of honesty that makes McMahon such a fantastic songwriter. Whether you have kids or not, it’s hard not to appreciate his sincerity. He just has a way of really connecting with his listeners through his songs, and thankfully this EP is no exception. Many musicians in his shoes would break under the pressure, but The Pop Underground proves that Andrew McMahon isn’t planning on dying down anytime soon.

Fall to November Sky... A Little Sounds for an Empty WorldNew Found Glory Resurrection
The Residents EskimoTrvth Approaching
Agalloch The Serpent and the SphereThe Byrds Mr. Tambourine Man
Nathan Flynn CONTRIBUTOR (3)
The sixth stage of (Andrew Mc)Mahon...

Point1 (3.5)
Successfully fusing some of his previous works' more poppish tendencies with electronics, Andrew McM...

20158 Comments

Just a short review for Andrew Mcmahon's new EP. I wrote this like a month ago over at this location: http://meltingalbumreviews.com/2013/05/02/ander-mcmahon-the-pop-underground/

The other 2 reviews already covered this nicely just figured i'd copy mine over : )

Digging: Johann Sebastian Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D major, BWV 1050

toxin.

good review atari!
had to bump this down, colors rocks and i really enjoy learn to dance despite a somewhat disappointing chorus. the other two are solid... just not enough for a 4 imo.

20158 Comments

thanks man yeah i can see it being a 3.5 but no lower than that ;)

is this a user project?

are u joking? lol

June 7th 2013

no? cuz this person I think is on my facebook feed taking annoying pictures and i dunno who it is.

20158 Comments

this is the singer of jack's mannequin get with the times ;)

June 7th 2013

the guy from something corporate?

YES lol

June 7th 2013

ohhhh....I never listened to either of them hence my ignorance lol

20158 Comments

2nd sentence of the review....

"From his first pop-punk band Something Corporate, to his more ambitious Jack’s Mannequin"

: P

20158 Comments

dude wtf start with something corporate they rule

June 7th 2013

I didn't read the review obvs lol.

Cygnatti

Smh calculon.

Digging: Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club, Hamburg

20158 Comments

well u don't have to read the review lol just go listen to this guys stuff. everything in transit is a near perfect pop-rock album

Ecnalzen
June 7th 2013

I never really enjoyed Something Corporate, but I haven't heard his other projects.

Good stuff, Atari. I still haven't quite figured out how to write a short review and still be informative like you can do.

Cygnatti
June 7th 2013

Ec, I'm pretty darn sure you'd dig this guy's stuff. Take a listen.

Ecnalzen
June 7th 2013

I will not argue with you there, Cyg. That was a pretty damn good song. Thanks for the link!

20158 Comments

thanks for the compliment ecnal. honestly i don't have a certain format i follow i just write lol but EPs are easier for short reviews that's for sure. I agree with cyg i think you'd really like jack's mannequin

20158 Comments

that's not even close to the best song on that album lol listen to 'Bruised' or 'Dark Blue'