Three 6 Mafia
Mystic Stylez

by oltnabrick USER (23 Reviews)
June 7th, 2013 | 157 replies

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Head spinning, lo-fi, occult hip-hop.

When Three 6 Mafia released Mystic Stylez in 1995 they were not able to make a huge impact on the hip hop scene. They were on an independent record label and were very far from being a part of the thriving and much larger hip hop scenes on the west and east coasts. But looking back on Three 6 Mafia's discography, this album sticks out as one of their strongest releases and also as a blueprint for the horrorcore style of hip hop that peaked among the underground scenes in New York during the mid-90s. It an album that was overlooked during its initial release but later became a cult classic many years afterwards. Mystic Stylez became a cult classic in horrorcore circles for quite a few reasons; the album's overall eerie tone, producers Juicy J and DJ Paul's Dirty South lo-fi beats (that the duo would later perfect on later Three 6 releases), and the group's overly-blunt lyricism. Throughout Mystic Stylez, Three 6 Mafia tells tales on one subject after another, often combining many subjects at once, mainly about violence, drugs, sex, and satanism.

All of this would seem to just be exploitation for the sake of shocking the listener if not for the way the members of Three 6 Mafia are able to perfect their craft, especially with the production. If you want proof that there's more to Mystic Stylez than sheer shock value then listen to the third track, "Da Summa," a suprisingly calm moment in the midst the often overwhelming chaotic occultism that covers the rest of the album. But for the most part, Three 6 Mafia is in their rawest, violent and satanic form here and that in itself was enough for its time. Years later, in during the Dirty South explosion of the late-90s, you can trace back the influence of Mystic Stylez and Three 6 Mafia, as many Southerner rappers and groups began embracing taboos left and right. The effect that Three 6 Mafia left on Mystic Stylez is still felt with newer rappers like Spaceghostpurrp and Lil Ugly Mane who owe much of their style to the Triple 6.

Yung Lean Unknown MemoryDemilich The Four Instructive Tales... of Decomposition
James Ferraro Suki GirlzPink Floyd Ummagumma
Xavier Wulf and Bones ダサいYung Lean Unknown Death 2002

HolidayKirk
June 7th 2013

Spaceghostpurrp jacked his whole style from the album cover alone.

no doubt

this looked way longer on my computer. short and to the point lol

Digging: Drexciya - Neptune's Lair

June 7th 2013

what?? its a great album lol

wacknizzle
June 7th 2013

Dang, had no idea these guys have been around this long

Digging: This Gift Is A Curse - I, Gvilt Bearer

June 7th 2013

yeah and they are still doing it

wacknizzle
June 7th 2013

Will check, been jamming tons of Botch and other angry white ppl shit. I need some hood up in me.

SOMEBODY GON GET THEIR ASS KICKED
SOMEBODY GON GET THEIR WIG SPLIT

only song I know

June 7th 2013

that is not on this album lol

Buzzkillr
June 7th 2013

yo wouldn't a 4.3 round up to a 4.5 instead of a 4?

DominionMM1

NIGGA LIVE BY YOU REP
BUT I AINT TAKIN SHIT
WHEN I BLAST ON YO ASS
IM GON EMPTY THIS CLIP

Iluvatar
June 7th 2013

one of the most underrated groups

Iluvatar
June 7th 2013

influenced 90% of the shit hipsters on the internet freak out about and they wont even give it the time of day smdh

Tupik
June 7th 2013

Bump this at least every week, just perfect.

June 7th 2013

"wouldn't a 4.3 round up to a 4.5 instead of a 4?"

I guess lol, I'll fix that

Hep Kat
June 7th 2013

"And then three six break up and every day I wake up and somebody got a problem with me" - Michael Rocks

kingsoby1

so good

June 7th 2013

I didn't say it was on this album lol just that it's the only song I k ow

June 7th 2013

I didn't say it was on this album lol just that it's the only song I know but Im gonna get this fer sure

June 8th 2013

dam triple post

but yeah you should check this out