The Mothers of Invention
Over-nite Sensation

by nig USER (37 Reviews)
June 7th, 2013 | 14 replies | 1,674 views

Release Date: 1973 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Can Zappa prove to be an Over-nite Sensation? I figure the odds be fifty-fifty...

In the massive discography of Frank Zappa, stuff of comedic influence with touches of jazz and avant-garde music is highly common, with the subject matter of his albums spanning from simple instrumentals to rock operas about black-faced stage actors and sex dolls. Obscenity and bizarre events are the norm. With “Over-nite Sensation”, it features obscene lyrics and is bizzare, but for a different reason than usual. In this third and final incarnation of The Mothers of Invention, “Sensation” is highly accessible from first listen unlike the rest of M.O.I.’s discography while keeping the raunchy and quirky lyrics ever present while criticizing the culture of the then-present day. And with the backing vocals of Tina Turner and the Ikettes, and the support of the late Ricky Lancelotti on vocals for “Fifty -Fifty” and “Zomby Woof”.

With “Camarillo Brillo”, “Dirty Love”, and “Dinah-Moe Humm”, the subject matter is about sexual situations, with “Dirty Love” being about intercourse with a poodle, while “Dinah-Moe Humm” is about the narrator’s attempts to make the titular character orgasm. Meanwhile, “I’m the Slime” openly criticizes the media and how it controls one’s actions and mindset: "Your mind is totally controlled, it has been stuffed into my mold, and you will do as you are told until the rights to you are sold." The latter half of “Sensation”, like the first half, incorporates the funk-oriented rhythms of “Dirty Love” and “Fifty-Fifty”, with the presence of Tina Turner and the Ikettes increased. “Montana”, the highlight of “Over-nite Sensation”, focuses on the tale of a man who moves to Montana to grow and profit off of dental floss, in which he has a profound affinity for dental floss.

“Over-nite Sensation” marks the triumphant return of both The Mothers and Zappa after his accident at the Rainbow Theatre not long before the previous breakup of the Mothers.

Overall, “Over-nite Senstion” makes for an excellent record, while having a saddening outcome as well. Lancelotti would have a falling out with Zappa not long after the recording of this album and after an incident where Lancelotti showed up to rehearsals intoxicated, Lancelotti would refuse to go on tour, accusing Zappa of using him only to learn how to sing. Lancelotti would die from injuries sustained in a car accident in 1980. He was 32. Even with the rarely-known legacy that Lancelotti left behind, his efforts on “Over-nite Sensation” are truly remarkable, and with the influence of Zappa, helped make the album become one of Zappa’s most eccentric, making for a fun and interesting listen.

The Mothers of Invention Uncle MeatOctobre Octobre
St. Vincent St. VincentThe Uniques From The Dust
The Enid Something Wicked This Way ComesDry Satire Demo
Kingadamx (4)

Chrisjon89
June 7th 2013

The Tina Turner on backing vocals? wow that's news to me. gonna check this next as far as Zappa material goes - i got The Grand Wazoo last week.

Digging: Elizabeth Rose - Elizabeth Rose

June 7th 2013

Yeah, she isn't too bad. Ike didn't like it though, and notably said "What is this shit?". He also asked Zappa to pay the Ikettes $25 per song, and asked for Tina and the Ikettes to not be credited. Despite that, it's one of my favorites.

Digging: The Flaming Lips - 7 Skies H3

Pos'd

Good review.

manosg
June 7th 2013

Keep 'em coming Frip. Great album, Dirty Love and Montana are my favorites from this one.

Sweet review too, pos.

Digging: Jan Akkerman - Tabernakel

oltnabrick

or noooooooooot

Digging: Ju Sei and Utah Kawasaki - ??????

Jips
June 7th 2013

I enjoyed this review. Clever phrasing throughout.

This was the first Zappa record I got into and still one of my favorites.

dannyboy89
June 7th 2013

Nice review. Feels a tad like a tbt, but good job all the same. Pos'd.

Digging: Agalloch - The Mantle

ButteryBiscuitBass
September 10th 2013

I AINT GONNA SING YOU NO LOVE SONG HOW MY HEART IS ALL SORE!

September 10th 2013

This is definitely one of Zappa's easiest listens.

Yazz_Flute

Zomby Woof is so good

Digging: Anekdoten - Vemod

December 29th 2013

I am the Slime is a dirty little fucker too.

December 29th 2013

just got the 2013 vinyl remaster, it sounds even better. even comes with a nice poster too.

mark7477
March 14th 2014

I respect the overall musicianship not to mention the whole fusion of styles heard on this album..However the songs itself don't really do that much for me except for a few good moments moments on occasion.

March 14th 2014

yeah, It is a bit hard to take, despite it being probably his most accessible LP.