The Mothers of Invention
Over-Nite Sensation

by col-trane USER (73 Reviews)
June 7th, 2013 | 32 replies

Release Date: 1973 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Can Zappa prove to be an Over-nite Sensation? I figure the odds be fifty-fifty...

In the massive discography of Frank Zappa, stuff of comedic influence with touches of jazz and avant-garde music is highly common, with the subject matter of his albums spanning from simple instrumentals to rock operas about black-faced stage actors and sex dolls. Obscenity and bizarre events are the norm. With “Over-nite Sensation”, it features obscene lyrics and is bizzare, but for a different reason than usual. In this third and final incarnation of The Mothers of Invention, “Sensation” is highly accessible from first listen unlike the rest of M.O.I.’s discography while keeping the raunchy and quirky lyrics ever present while criticizing the culture of the then-present day. And with the backing vocals of Tina Turner and the Ikettes, and the support of the late Ricky Lancelotti on vocals for “Fifty -Fifty” and “Zomby Woof”.

With “Camarillo Brillo”, “Dirty Love”, and “Dinah-Moe Humm”, the subject matter is about sexual situations, with “Dirty Love” being about intercourse with a poodle, while “Dinah-Moe Humm” is about the narrator’s attempts to make the titular character orgasm. Meanwhile, “I’m the Slime” openly criticizes the media and how it controls one’s actions and mindset: "Your mind is totally controlled, it has been stuffed into my mold, and you will do as you are told until the rights to you are sold." The latter half of “Sensation”, like the first half, incorporates the funk-oriented rhythms of “Dirty Love” and “Fifty-Fifty”, with the presence of Tina Turner and the Ikettes increased. “Montana”, the highlight of “Over-nite Sensation”, focuses on the tale of a man who moves to Montana to grow and profit off of dental floss, in which he has a profound affinity for dental floss.

Overall, “Over-nite Senstion” makes for an excellent record, while having a saddening outcome as well. Lancelotti would have a falling out with Zappa not long after the recording of this album and after an incident where Lancelotti showed up to rehearsals intoxicated, Lancelotti would refuse to go on tour, accusing Zappa of using him only to learn how to sing. Lancelotti would die from injuries sustained in a car accident in 1980. He was 32. Even with the rarely-known legacy that Lancelotti left behind, his efforts on “Over-nite Sensation” are truly remarkable, and with the influence of Zappa, helped make the album become one of Zappa’s most eccentric, making for a fun and interesting listen.

The Beach Boys Pet SoundsDeakin Sleep Cycle
The Enid DustThe Enid White Goddess
Sensory Deprivation SNSRY DPRVTNThe Stooges Fun House
Kingadamx (4)

Chrisjon89
June 7th 2013

The Tina Turner on backing vocals? wow that's news to me. gonna check this next as far as Zappa material goes - i got The Grand Wazoo last week.

Pos'd

Good review.

manosg
June 7th 2013

Keep 'em coming Frip. Great album, Dirty Love and Montana are my favorites from this one.

Sweet review too, pos.

Digging: Gehenna - First Spell

oltnabrick

or noooooooooot

Jips
June 7th 2013

I enjoyed this review. Clever phrasing throughout.

This was the first Zappa record I got into and still one of my favorites.

dannyboy89
June 7th 2013

Nice review. Feels a tad like a tbt, but good job all the same. Pos'd.

Digging: Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile

ButteryBiscuitBass
September 10th 2013

I AINT GONNA SING YOU NO LOVE SONG HOW MY HEART IS ALL SORE!

September 10th 2013

This is definitely one of Zappa's easiest listens.

Yazz_Flute
December 29th 2013

Zomby Woof is so good

Digging: Thank You Scientist - Stranger Heads Prevail

December 29th 2013

I am the Slime is a dirty little fucker too.

mark7477
March 14th 2014

I respect the overall musicianship not to mention the whole fusion of styles heard on this album..However the songs itself don't really do that much for me except for a few good moments moments on occasion.

tef
June 5th 2014

Nice review! I'm The Slime's guitar solo is amazing, as is the rest of the album. Classic.

smaugman
August 23rd 2015

I love Montana

Fifty/Fifty is tits

wow this review is bad

Digging: Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

ur mama

November 30th 2015

Oh wait u wrote this lol

making yourself look like a fool since 2013 congrats

u still love me

It is probably the same feel I have about my Yezda Urfa review

November 30th 2015

you'd be right about one of those