The Knife
Shaking the Habitual

by nig USER (37 Reviews)
June 2nd, 2013 | 72 replies | 3,475 views

Release Date: 04/08/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: In comparisons to the duo's other efforts, "Shaking the Habitual" both excels and fails in bettering them...

When highly anticipated albums are announced these days, there’s always hype surrounding it. Going into The Knife’s “Shaking the Habitual”, there was a massive amount of hype, with the expectations soaring, only to come crashing down. However, "Shaking the Habitual" makes up for it with its criticisms of the royal family and the music industry, while bringing attention to the inequality of families who are wealthy and people in poverty.

Despite that, “Shaking the Habitual” is plagued with several problems, such as the length of the album. Ninety minutes seems understandable for concept albums and instrumental records, but for an IDM group heavily inspired by avant-garde styled music, it doesn’t work. Another issue is within some of the songs and/or “pieces” such as “Crake” and “Old Dreams Waiting to Be Realized”, with the former being a waste of space with it consisting of feedback and electronic fodder, fitting of something like “Metal Machine Music”. The latter, while a nice composition, drags on for fifteen minutes too long and fails to capture the attention of the listener, with it failing to gel as it goes on, and makes it look as The Knife is trying too hard to be experimental and avant-garde; it simply drags down the duo and the quality of the album itself.

Other songs, such as “Networking”, “Full of Fire”, and “Wrap Your Arms Around Me”, make for the highlights of the album, with it managing to entertain the listener with the exotic lyrics of Karin Andersson layered among the keyboards that make those tracks so great, making for a perfect pair. Even with the length of “Shaking the Habitual”, the album manages to get stronger near the end like the duo had been given an adrenaline rush, and makes for some of the best electronic music out there.

Even with the issues on “Shaking the Habitual”, it is a good album, but fails when attempting to be consistent. While it may take several listens to fully understand the duo’s ideas and what they were doing on this album, it makes for an enjoyable experience. Go see for yourself and see what all the hype is about, you’ll be sure to understand it.

The Mothers of Invention Uncle MeatOctobre Octobre
St. Vincent St. VincentThe Uniques From The Dust
The Enid Something Wicked This Way ComesDry Satire Demo
Hamid Waheed (4.5)
The best type of a pioneering album: a controversial one that shakes things up....

robertsona
June 2nd 2013

crazy that this didn't have a review yet. will read. great album imo

AliW1993
June 2nd 2013

Woo finally a review for this. I was thinking of doing my own once I get the time. I still might, since my score is a lot higher.

neg'd this is a 5

greg84
June 2nd 2013

This definitely should've had a staff/contrib review by now. Decent effort.

Digging: Floor - Oblation

Insurrection

19559 Comments

about time this got a review

Digging: Cult Leader - Nothing for Us Here

June 2nd 2013

i'm really not digging the review though fripp

Cygnatti

20137 Comments

really good album.

Digging: Lo-Fang - Blue Film

June 2nd 2013

I'll probably listen to it again, so it'll possibly go up to a 4. If it were for "Old Dreams" being shorter, it'd be a solid 4.

Digging: The Flaming Lips - 7 Skies H3

June 2nd 2013

i won't neg due to your m/ as fuck avatar, but that intro paragraph needs some serious revisions imo

June 2nd 2013

I usually edit my stuff after I post, so I'll probably go over that.

ILJ
June 2nd 2013

You contradict yourself a little in this review. When talking about "Old Dreams Waiting to be Realized," you mention that it fails to capture the attention of the listener, but in the last paragraph, you say that the album demands the attention of the listener from the very start, and i don't know if it's just me, but the way you worded this makes it seem as though you're implying this is consistent through the album.

Also the intro paragraph is really weak. You imply with the opening sentence that there was a great deal of hype surrounding the album, but then go on to say that this was "just another album by The Knife" and that there wasn't much expect from this. But to me, something having hype inherently means that there is a lot to expect from an album, whether good or bad.

You were also very brief with actual musical discussion. I applaud your effort on trying to review this, but it's best to avoid reviewing an album if you aren't sure what to say about it (which is precisely why I haven't reviewed this.)

I don't mean to lambast your review, I'm just trying to give you some tips.

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

June 2nd 2013

Holy hell, how didn't this have a review yet?

June 2nd 2013

fripp should be happy potsy retired

ILJ
June 2nd 2013

Also the review requires some proofreading, there are some left-out words here and there

June 2nd 2013

I'd definitely get this edited, but the forum isn't much of a help and the person I have read over my stuff never responds.

June 2nd 2013

fixed for now, probably will go over it again. I redid the intro and the ending for the first edit.

June 2nd 2013

Hey Fripp, would you like me to give you a reworked version of your review so you know what to look out for next time? I've done that a few times, and it's been really beneficial to people

June 2nd 2013

sure, that'd help tons. I guess reviewing older material is more suited for me as of now. I'm seriously surprised that there wasn't a staff review of this.

June 2nd 2013

I might do my own review of this in a little bit :]

CrazyDiamond7
June 2nd 2013

This is a real tricky album to write about, so I see why it took this long for someone to write a review. Decent attempt here,
though you really should get into into more detail about the music. And that first paragraph definitely needs some work

I've been trying to write a review of this for weeks, but my laptop is at the the shop ATM so itll be a while before I finish it.