You, Me, And Everyone We Know
I Wish More People Gave A Shit

by Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (108 Reviews)
May 31st, 2013 | 19 replies | 2,593 views

Release Date: 05/07/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Almost a decade later and still nobody seems to give a shit.

Back during my initial exposure to the upbeat, bi-polar music of Say Anything, I was also intrigued by a similar sounding band by the name of You, Me, And Everyone We Know. Sure, they sounded like a Say Anything worship band, but that didn’t make their music any less enjoyable. They’ve always managed to produce witty lyricism and undeniably catchy tunes, so when I saw the title of their latest EP I couldn‘t help but chuckle. After all, does anybody give a ***? The band had practically diminished with all the drama surrounding the members and their conflicts with vocalist Ben Liebsch, so the fact that he’s still making music under the YMAEWK name is an accomplishment in itself.

I Wish More People Gave A *** is essentially a reflection on the existence of the band and Liebsch's life experiences as he refers to his mind taking a “decade long walk“. It doesn’t find him treading new ground, but instead contains exactly the kind of high-energy tunes fans have come to expect from the band. This isn’t a bad thing, though, as his performance is as spastic as ever and the lyrics retain the intelligence of their past efforts. The first 3 songs are among some of the best of the band’s career and they’re generously filled with gang vocals, bouncy guitars, and huge choruses. ‘Big Mistake’ is a definite sing-a-long track while ‘Better Men’ showcases some of Liebsch’s most accessible vocals to date. However it’s the reflective opening track ’I’d Contribute More Dead’ which finds the band at their very best with Liebsch’s vocals jumping all over the place and at times sounding eerily similar to Max Bemis. Unfortunately, the same can’t be said for the final track, ‘The Winds Won’t Change’ which is Liebsch’s attempt at a stripped down number with just him and a ukulele. It’s not terrible, but unlike the previous tracks it may come across as more grating than enjoyable for some listeners.

At the end of the day, this is another solid outing from YMAEWK, but if Liebsch and his crew want people to truly start giving a ***, they’re going to have to do better than coming up with a 4-song EP once a year. In their defense, the songs are pretty damn good, but it’s just not enough material to keep listeners busy for very long. Either way, it continues to prove Liebsch’s talent as a musician and adds to the long list of enjoyable pop-punk releases of 2013

Trvth ApproachingAgalloch The Serpent and the Sphere
The Byrds Mr. Tambourine ManSomos Temple of Plenty
Fireworks Oh, Common LifeA Slow Descent On Ganymede

Some Things Don't Wash Ou
recommended by reviewer
Say Anything ...Is A Real Boy

19497 Comments

just a short review but good EP check it out.

also, originally posted here: http://meltingalbumreviews.com/2013/05/31/you-me-and-everyone-we-know-i-wish-more-people-gave-a-shit/

Digging: The Who - Tommy

SadAndHolyGlow
May 31st 2013

Great review. I've been jamming to this a lot recently, too.

Digging: Jacobi Wichita - Bonez Malone

19497 Comments

thanks man. glad to see somebody else enjoyed it, birds were starting to chirp in here lol

also forgot to mention but this is streaming on spotify

May 31st 2013

I liked Some Things Don't Wash Out, doubt I'll give this a listen though. Pop punk hasn't been doing it for me lately. Except for Misser of course

19497 Comments

really? my love for pop-punk has pretty much resurfaced because there's been so much good stuff this year. New wonder years, TSSF, Captain, we're sinking, Man Overboard, etc.

May 31st 2013

That's the problem really, I loved the last albums by TWY and TSSF but I couldn't get too into their latest albums

19497 Comments

hmmm that sucks. i thought both bands continued to impress this year

May 31st 2013

Yeah I think its just me, both albums sounded great I just wasn't hooked

19497 Comments

well how many times did you listen to them? TWY's new album actually took me several listens before I started to really love it.

May 31st 2013

I've listened to the new TSSF album a few times, its good but not as good as Under Soil. I only listened to The Greatest Generation once and I didn't really feel like listening again, I took that as a sign

June 3rd 2013

19497 Comments

bumped so people can continue to not give a shit

June 3rd 2013

19497 Comments

it's on spotify if you have that. i like it just as much as a great big hole

pepster50
June 12th 2013

checking out now im likin hte first song

19497 Comments

glad you like it. I think the other songs are just as good except for the closing track

pepster50
June 12th 2013

ya awesome EP... ya the closing track is good for what it is.

brandontaylor
July 23rd 2013

pretty good EP, about on par with their last one, I hope the band (or is it just Ben Leibsch now?) can get a second album out sometime soon

MuhNamesTyler
July 23rd 2013

Cool, I've liked most of the other stuff they've done so I'll be checkin this out.

Crawl
September 8th 2013

Love the first track. Big Mistake is a bit over-the-top imo and the final song is kinda pointless.

DaveyBoy
October 21st 2013

20855 Comments

"7 years, 11 members, 5 EPs & a full length. Still here. Not done yet" reads a header on You, Me, and Everyone We Know's bandcamp site. It's telling, since the band has never settled into a routine... So much so that the lone survivor is quirky front-man Ben Liebsch. With instrumentation from producer Trevor Simpson, Liebsch is near his best here, picking bits & pieces of previous releases for this 4 track EP. The Say Anything comparisons still hold, while the relatably witty lyrics also appear. The acoustic closer is a bit throw-away, but the other 3 tracks are as good as the moniker has produced! Recommended Tracks: I'd Contribute More Dead & The Big Mistake.