Enemies
Embark Embrace

by Jacob Royal STAFF
May 30th, 2013 | 81 replies | 8,948 views

Release Date: 05/10/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A post-rock gem that shines brightest in the summer sun

Embark Embrace revealed itself to me in a way I never expected-- through a close friend’s recommendation. I start by mentioning this because we sometimes forget how helpful it is to just ask a friend what music we should pursue. After all, they not only understand the genres we enjoy, but the moods we’re looking to capture. It’s no secret that math rock has interested me over the last month, so is it a surprise I’d be so damned content with Enemies’ latest release?

Indeed, it's the kind of album one comes across rarely-- this much is obvious from its opening moments. When “Executive Cut” jubilantly kicks off the record, it’s clear Enemies is going for the cheery brand of post-rock record for which And So I Watch You From Afar aimed just a few months ago. But despite the similarities Embark Embrace holds to All Hail Bright Futures, though, the album differs in that it accomplishes all it sets out to. There aren’t loose ends or missteps here-- one song from the next is pure, unadulterated gold, ready to glisten in the summer heat if you permit it to.

The album resides in one particularly enlarged sector of post-rock these days, that being the whole tropical and math-oriented style Ireland’s specialized in lately. But this record still brings its own flair, because it utilizes the style’s eccentricities in a subdued manner. Instead of the expected utilization of more obscure instruments we perceive as ‘tropical,’ Enemies creates the sounds of the beach through its rock instruments. Whether achieved through fat guitar leads, infectious basslines or dynamic effect usage, the sonic palette Embark Embrace brings to the table puts the record miles ahead of its contemporaries, because it's summery without trying too hard.

It isn't just about the keen grasp the album has on summer, though. I consistently find myself enamored with the atmosphere Embark Embrace presents, and with the lively sense of musicianship at hand throughout. When I hear the steady pace of “Unit Shifter,” when the entire duration of “Indian Summer” plays itself off as a huge party anyone would want to be a part of, I’m reminded of why I ever thought music could solve anything in my life. Because once upon a time, before I ever thought anything of the ratings we gave to music, I was only interested in what I received from the music-- what it gave me.

Although it’s difficult to approach music from the same doe-eyed mindset I once did, there are records that rekindle that fire every now and then, and make me want to find the feeling this album gives me, but in every corner of music I possibly can. I’m positively convinced Embark Embrace was tailored exclusively for me, because much of this album seems to function with my expectations in mind. And it delivers-- when I hear that one part in “Love Unlimited,” other things simply don’t matter. My life’s problems still exist, but they pause for an instant, just long enough for the sunshine to pour in. The funny thing about Embark Embrace is that its light keeps flowing-- there isn’t an end to the process, but just more sunshine. And I’m still figuring out what I can give it in return.

Every Time I Die From Parts UnknownBaths Ocean Death
Closure in Moscow Pink LemonadeSOHN Tremors
SZA ZTycho Awake

May 30th 2013

This album's streaming here. If you really like it, you could even buy it. *gasps* http://enemiesmusic.bandcamp.com/releases

Also, this is a post-rock album with math influences. I didn't make that terribly clear in the review, because I was concerned with other things. But I just wanted to point that out for you guys. Hope you enjoy the album as much as I have.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

clercqie

I wish!

Looks like I need this.

Digging: Sully - Blue

May 30th 2013

Haha, it helps that I make music with a few of my friends. Because of that, they know my tastes pretty well.

Definitely, man. I'd advise you to look at the stream, and check out.. well.. honestly, the start of the album. It's a pretty good indicator of how the rest of it goes.

Tyrannic
May 30th 2013

I wish my friends could suggest something interesting to me god damnit.

Mindpos

May 30th 2013

I'M YOUR FRIEND, AND I'M RECOMMENDING SOMETHING THAT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL THINGS.

But thanks buddy, where u been? I've been missin me some Tyrannic.

clercqie
May 30th 2013

Fourth track and it's lovely so far.

Azn.
May 30th 2013

Really nice review, as always Omaha
This seems pretty sweet from the review, I'll have to give it a spin

Digging: Trophy Scars - Never Born, Never Dead

JS19

This *should* be my jam. It isn't

Digging: Sadistik - Ultraviolet

Iluvatar
May 30th 2013

This is incredibly okay, you're right Omaha spot on review

paradox1216

heeeeeyyy I liked AHBF a lot =(

this is amazing though, truly

Digging: Braid - No Coast

PunchforPunch
May 30th 2013

is it as good as we've been talking?

Digging: Horna / Behexen - Split

Tyrannic
May 30th 2013

I've been alright just got a new job fixing and testing welder generators. So essentially I'm getting paid to play with fire.

And boy this brings the feels.

May 30th 2013

I actually wasnt a big fan of that album, it felt too indistinct for my liking if that makes sense

ProjectFreak
May 30th 2013

omaha everything you like sounds like something i would like

Azn.

omaha everything you like sounds like something i would like [2]

sixdegrees
May 30th 2013

good band, I need to check this.

May 30th 2013

Shucks, guys-- you sure know how to make me blush!

sailSAway
May 30th 2013

I added this what, a month ago? also, AHBF goes hand in hand with this album.

great review sawyer. this is definitely one of my favourites from 2013

May 30th 2013

Thanks, freckles. Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself.

Is it just me, or has 2013 been the greatest year for music in quite some time? Maybe it's that I've been able to spend more time with quality records, but damn. I've been thoroughly pleased with so much of this year's output.