Dc Talk
Supernatural

by Bchop13 USER (22 Reviews)
March 21st, 2006 | 13 replies | 13,814 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Dc talk's Supernatural came with expectations that could only be understood if you were well Supernatural. The band's hit album exercised the growing industry of Alternative Christian music. The second album had just as catchy songs and was a more mature sounding album. Even though it had just as many memorable songs, it had songs that aren't so memorable as well.

The first track "Intro" leads perfectly into the next track, the track is just restating the album's name it is nothing special, but it really sets the tune for a more mature and distughshed album by the Christian Trio. "It's Killing Me" is what got me into the album, and is why the band should have never gone solo, because they can't make this kind of energetic and great music by themselves, but no one in the Christian world can. The track features one of my favorite lines from the band "Love never dies, when you wanted to run you always hide" I think the whole song builds momentum just from that one line, which leads to a very energetic chorus and some rocking guitar riffs. A great song that vividly paints the picture of where this album is going. 5/5

The third track "Dive" is one of the tracks I often forget about on this album. But when I listen to it is also one of my favorite tracks on this album. The songs lyrics are very powerful and it is basically talking about how this nation is so centered on money. The trio all contributes vocals on this song, which make it a great experience and one of my favorite tracks on the album. 5/5

The Fourth Track is entitled "Consume Me" and it is a magnificent track. The whole band wrote the song, which normally the band just writes songs on their lonesome and decide which one's are the best and make an album. I think this album separates itself from the others because their is more of a chemistry between the band members and it makes the album stick out from lets say "Free At Last" the bands first album. Back to the song it has some great surrounding lyrics to the chorus, and we know Dc Talk can put together a chorus any day. That's what makes the song great. 5/5

My Friend [So Long] starts out with an acoustic beat that eventually turns into a rocking song and again the subject manner was enough to make a good song but dc talk went above that with compassionate lyrics and a rocking beat. The song lyrics if you listen closely are about the cost of fame. And dc talk is trying to point out that even if you have all this fame and money it's still not going to make you happy. A great song with a great subject manner. 4.5/5

Fearless is where I thought the album was going to slow down, sure their are slower songs but the songs are still original and catchy as proven in Fearless. The song has again a great subject to it, and it experiences radical instrumental changes. All this makes another great song. 4.5/5

Godsend is a song talking about all the bands blessings. The song is a good song but I've never been able to get into it like other people have. The lyrics and instrumentals are decent and the song is a disappointment compared to the other tracks. 3/5

Wanna Be Loved is another attempt to get the party started by the band and it features a great chorus and surrounding lyrics. Even though it doesn;t really fit in with the albums concept that doesn't mean you can't give it an occasional listen every once in a while 4/5

"The Truth [Will Set You Free]" is a song that has a great chorus but also has some garbage surrounding lyrics as well. The guitar riffs in this song are pretty clean and action packed though which makes it a cool experience, it is also an overlooked song on the album. 3.5/5

"Since I Met You" is honestly a great song for the album. It is a we don't care if you don't like our music, or don't think Christian music is cool intro, but then develops into a good praise song but at the same time a Christian punk song. I'm not saying this is Relient K [and thank god it isn't] but the song has a punk feeling to it, and a great chorus. 4.5/5

"Into Jesus" is one of my many favorites on the album. The song has a laid back waves in the ocean theme to it but it works beautifully with the instruments. Another thing you can see dc talk did is work harder on the instruments to give the album a realistic and sometimes perfect sound. This song has the perfect sound, and along with breathtaking lyrics, and of course a great chorus. Dc talk gives us a 3 course meal with "Into Jesus" 5/5

"Supernatural" is one of the most rocking well-written songs on the album. The song takes you in with an inspirational but yet instrumentally powerful chorus and it never lets you go. It is MY FAVORITE on the album. The band also shares the lyrics well on the song and well on the album. The song the album was named for is also the best song on the album. 5/5

"Red Letters" I never could understand. It's an alright follow up to Supernatural but Iíve never really been able to get into the song, it's alright but it's long and it carries on for a little to long. 3/5

There Is a Treason at Sea doesn't have any signing but it words perfectly sum up the album and the message it is trying to send across. A nice and perfectly done closer to the album. 4/5

In conclusion dc talk's second HUGE release was just as good and moving as there first, the band really put it all together on the album and it is well done.

Brand New Your Favorite WeaponTaking Back Sunday Louder Now
Radiohead The BendsNewsboys Thrive
Cartel ChromaDc Talk Jesus Freak

Bchop13
March 21st 2006

I couldn't because someone had already added the album by itself

Bchop13

got it

NOTINTHEFACE
March 21st 2006

Holy crap I haven't listened to this in years... I used to listen to it all the time when my Dad would drive me to hockey practice. Lol, I knew every note of it, every word of every verse. I think I'll get it back out and give it a whirl.... nostalgia-central.

Good to see Dc talk getting a little attention around here. Great review, but I don't think this is quite a 5.

thunderzstruck

excellent cd

wanna be loved, its killing me. and my friend (so long) are amazing tracks

Patrick
July 1st 2006

I have a cd called commited2rock which has supernatural on it and I'd have to say its one heck of a song!

MediocreAtBest
January 12th 2008

I love this album and still listen to it. The first 5 tracks, Since I Met You, the title track and Red Letters are all great songs...actually this album has more memorable songs on it than Jesus Freak, but as an album I don't think it's as good.

thejared
May 25th 2008

I love this stuff... its some good shit

Eliminator
May 25th 2008

2067 Comments

IAmInsect
May 26th 2008

lol

MentalityOfA
January 22nd 2009

This was my favorite album when I was ten. Hard to believe I could still like something from so long ago.

Parallels
May 21st 2010

"their name should be JC Talk these motherfuckers represent our lord with sweet riffs and catchy hooks"

lol perfect. i agree

Asiatic667

DC actually stands for Douche Cunts, because these douches suck

Parallels
May 21st 2010

i believe the name stands for "decent christian talk"