Attack Attack! (US)
Someday Came Suddenly

by Garrett Stump USER (4 Reviews)
May 15th, 2013 | 34 replies | 1,313 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: With an open mind, is this really as bad as I hear a lot of people complaining?

I'm going to start this review off by saying something about Attack Attack!. I had only become a fan of theirs a year ago at the time of typing this and have never seen them live. With their announcement of the Back In Action Tour being the band's last before the break up, I'm naturally very disturbed. I can only imagine this feeling is much worse for long time fans, especially those who have followed the band since they first formed back in in 2005. Now, with 2013 being the year they end it, we have three albums (hopefully a fourth if the band release's the one they have already recorded) to remember them by. So, let's dive into the debut album by Attack Attack!, Someday Came Suddenly.

Released: November 11th, 2008

Track Listing:

1. Hot Grills And High Tops

2. Stick Stickly (single)

3. Bro, Ashley's Here

4. Shred, White & Blue

5. Party Foul

6. What Happens If I Can't Check My Myspace When We Get There?

7. Interlude

8. The People's Elbow (single)

9. Kickin' Wing, Animal Doctor

10. Dr. Shavargo Pt. 3 (single)

11. Catfish Soup

John Carlo-Bass

Johnny Franck-Guitar/Vocals

Andrew Whiting-Lead Guitar

Caleb Shomo-Keys/Synth

The first album from Attack Attack! is a very unique listen. Mixing harsh breakdown's with techo-bits, screamed vocals and clean auto-tune. I know a lot of people would be automatically turned away by this, but once you give the entire album a listen, it's really not bad. The whole album starts off with a short intro track resembling a very hip-hop sound. This leads right inot what many will say is the best part of the album, the song Stick Stickly. this was the first single from the album and remains one of AA's most popular songs. The lyrics are very religious with lines like "this is the time to let yourself go Lord pick me off the ground". The religious theme is constant through the whole album, so for some AA may be a Christian-Metal band. While the actual member's don't view themselves as such, it's easy to see why some fans do. Going back to these first two songs, they do a very good job of getting you pumped for what's to come and then getting you up and moving. This is especially true for Stick Stickly, as it's nearly impossible to not want to mosh to this song. Or at the very least head-bang until you pass out.

This awesome opening is followed by another three songs which, while still quite mosh worthy and fun to listen to, don't measure up to the level of Stick Stickly. One of these songs (Bro, Ashley's Here) contains the line from which the album's name come's from. This song is among the best on the album, containing a good rhythm and beat, as well as lyrics which again have a slightly religious theme. Once you get to track 7 all the moshing and screaming and head-banging takes a break to make room for a techno medley. I have mixed feeling's about this. Sure, it's a nice techno song, but it clashes with the overall stance AA is trying to make with the other songs. However, it does give the keyboardist, Caleb Shomo, a chance to really show what he can do. So points to him.

After the interlude we get to my personal favorite from the album, The People's Elbow. This one takes a turn as the lyrics are more about a broken relationship and the struggle within oneself to overcome the pain. While the writing isn't exactly the best, it's done in a way which feels honest, something I feel the band did with all the songs. The final four songs follow the same pattern of being good, but lacking that special "hook" to make them really memorable. the very last of these four is a short outro track. Now this is a piano ballad. Odd? Yes. But hauntingly sweet, if lacking that hook. After the rest of the song's though, it does offer a very peaceful end to the whole barrage of sounds.

Moving onto the performance of the band members themselves, Austin has very good screaming, able to perform high's and low's in the vocal fry style with precision. The clean vocals, despite being auto-tuned, don't clash with the rest of the song's. The guitar/bass work is very metalcore-ish, with many breakdowns and riffs throughout. The only two area's which don't really shine through, except on a few song's, are the drums and keyboards. Not to say they aren't present, for they surely are, it's just you won't really notice them as much.

For what it is, Someday Came Suddenly accomplish's what Attack Attack! set out to do. Sure, not all the song's really stand out, but when the band get's something right it's quite enjoyable. Perhaps that right there sums up this entire album: quite enjoyable.

2.2
poor

Aids
May 15th 2013

Click-clack, click-clack, click-clack. The sonic pattering of tiny feet on weathered shale benignly arises from a British Columbian shoreline; the sound of hundreds and hundreds of decapod crustaceans -- specifically, crabs. Bobbing their exoskeletal heads to a distant beat, the congregation of crabs - ranging in size from the miniscule pea crab to the legendary Japanese spider crab - are amassing together under a common purpose: to boogie to Attack Attack!'s crab-tastic single 'Stick Sickly', the anthem of Crustacea. Frantically waving their kinetic legs in the air and slamming their monstrous claws down to the ground in time with the infectious beat, the throng of crustaceans were gathered to celebrate their freshwater emergence in popular music and to memorialize the dawn of a new, wild genre of music.

Crabcore.

hogan900

Awful album.

Artuma
May 15th 2013

"I'm going to start this review off by saying something about Attack Attack"

no no no no no, not like this

"The first album from Attack Attack! is a very unique listen. Mixing harsh breakdown's with techo-bits, screamed vocals and clean auto-tune."

unique?

"One of these songs (Bro, Ashley's Here) contains the line from which the album's name come's from."

ok

"Perhaps that right there sums up this entire album: quite enjoyable."

no it doesn't sum it up, the rating is for that sentence

neg'd

Digging: Nails - Abandon All Life

sspedding

this review is hilarious

BigPleb

Instaneg Came Suddenly.

Nocturnal
May 15th 2013

With an open mind this is terrible. The world never needed bands like this abandon all ships or i see stars, and you know it.

Digging: The Contortionist - Exoplanet

NapalmCrusader
May 15th 2013

Lol, with open mind this is insulting.

FearThyEvil9

Fucking neg

EvoHavok
May 15th 2013

I disliked this even in those times when I was listening to BMTH all day...

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

May 15th 2013

Heard a song by Attack Attack once. I needed a long two years of therapy after.

Digging: Opeth - Blackwater Park

May 15th 2013

Also I see this is your first review so you'll get better at it. Don't contradict yourself in your reviews. You said he uses clean auto-tune, but number one: if he uses auto-tune than it's not his true voice and number two: auto-tune is not unique. At least in my eyes.

Omeggia
May 15th 2013

"With an open mind, is this really as bad as I hear a lot of people complaining?"

ZilbelPing

"Released: November 11th, 2008

Track Listing:

1. Hot Grills And High Tops

2. Stick Stickly (single)

3. Bro, Ashley's Here

4. Shred, White & Blue

5. Party Foul

6. What Happens If I Can't Check My Myspace When We Get There?

7. Interlude

8. The People's Elbow (single)

9. Kickin' Wing, Animal Doctor

10. Dr. Shavargo Pt. 3 (single)

11. Catfish Soup

that rating chart

Digging: Future - Honest

ZilbelPing
May 15th 2013

This entire review can be answered with "ok".

PunchforPunch

YAAAAA NEVER SAAAAAID THAT THIS WOULD BE EASSSSSEAAAYY

Digging: Vril - Torus

RosaParks

ILJ
May 15th 2013

I'm going to destroy this review

"I'm going to start this review off by saying something about Attack Attack!."

Never open with something like this. We know you're going to say something about the band, you're writing a fucking review on the album. I would sure hope that you're going to say something about them.

" I had only become a fan of theirs a year ago at the time of typing this and have never seen them live. "

Unnecessary

"With their announcement of the Back In Action Tour being the band's last before the break up, I'm naturally very disturbed. I can only imagine this feeling is much worse for long time fans, especially those who have followed the band since they first formed back in in 2005. Now, with 2013 being the year they end it, we have three albums (hopefully a fourth if the band release's the one they have already recorded) to remember them by."

Needless fluff, could've been seriously condensed.

Your inclusion of the tracklisting and release date is redundant. That's what the "tracklist" and "release date" headings above the review are for.

You don't need to include a list of personnel (which you spelled incorrectly by the way, grammar is your friend.) These should be included throughout the review as you talk about the album.

Second sentence is a fragment. Join these with a comma.

"This leads right inot what many will say is the best part of the album, the song Stick Stickly."

Rephrase, and proofread. Song names should be in quotes. Also, album name should be italicized.

"this was the first single from the album and remains one of AA's most popular songs"

Try not to include unnecessary information. Long reviews are okay but only if they are also concise. Being short and to the point is sometimes a much better route to take.

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There