Glassjaw
Everything You Ever Wanted To Know...

2.0
poor

by yidnarc USER (18 Reviews)
May 14th, 2013 | 39 replies

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Have you ever been a dumped sixteen year-old kid? Did you make an album? Well you aren't Glassjaw then now are you!

While I'm on a little screamo kick I might as well take a look at one of the most popular underground bands in the genre right now and for a long time. Although they have a bunch of EPs that change up the sound a lot, actually sort of sounding like traditional hardcore most of the time, this is their debut album and the one that sounds the most like screamo and post-hardcore. That's not to say its bad though, the music is all well done and has some interesting lead guitar moments and some really cool rhythms. The drumming is really good for an album of it's kind and the vocals are pretty well done. Well...mostly. There are a few parts where lead singer Daryls's yell turns a bit sour, kind of like he's gurgling curdled milk. But other than that the vocals are pretty good, especially the emotional parts.

But there's one big area where this album falters and that's in the lyrics and melodramatic moments. I mean how old was the band when they wrote this? Twelve? Maybe thirteen if they're late bloomers. I admit that they ocassionally have a good metaphor going like in When One Eight Becomes Two Zeros, the singer being the eight and the girl in question being the zeros. It's a cool metaphor and a lot of songs do this to spice things up, but sometimes it just doesn't work. You can only sing your heart out about a girl so many times before it becomes a bit of a bore to listen to. The melodramatic moments are just way too much for the listener to handle as he or she is constantly barraged over and over throughout the album.

And it doesn't help matters that this album is unbearably long. I understand the epic closer being long but there's no reason for some of the others. A lot of the songs just kind of wander around and are too worried about getting to that next melodramatic moment to worry about the songwriting. If this had been tightened up by about 10 or 15 minutes it would probably be a 3 or 3.5 but as it it, it's definitely not a great album. My advice is listen to the first two tracks and then pick a couple good ones off their second album and make your own EP.

Defeater TravelsGlassjaw Worship and Tribute
Letlive. Fake HistoryWeezer Death to False Metal
Weezer HurleyWeezer Raditude

yidnarc
May 14th 2013

i know this is a loved band but i dont see it

shut the fuck up

DirEnRefused

shut the fuck up [2]

Kman418
May 14th 2013

"While I'm on a little screamo kick I might as well take a look at one of the most popular underground bands in the genre
right now and for a long time" omfg do you even know what screamo really is have you even heard of pg. 99 or orchid or
city of caterpillar holy shit

Digging: Teebs - E S T A R A

MunsuLight
May 14th 2013

shut the fuck up [3] It just come out as a rant on the lyrics and on the lenght of the album..

iamDIBBS
May 14th 2013

shut the fuck up [4] this album's amazing.

Crymsonblaze

lol

bach
May 14th 2013

You should leave and never come back.

Digging: Field Mouse - Hold Still Life

JumpTheF**kUp
May 14th 2013

using words like 'good' as an adjective is beyond stupid when it comes to music. read some books and increase your vocabulary, son.

May 14th 2013

OR he could just pos his own reviews with alts
speaking of alts, this is probably another skele alt

Captain North
May 14th 2013

This rating makes no sense for the review you gave. It should be at least a 3 with that review.

Also, I hated this right up until the moment I got dumped and shit happened. It's melodramatic but you tend to feel pretty fucking melodramatic in the moment

sixdegrees

have a well-earned pos

Digging: nano.RIPE - Namida no Ochiru Sokudo

DegausserGuernica24
May 14th 2013

Glassjaw took a dump on a sixteen year-old kid.

fukkkkk

Digging: Viper the Rapper - You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack

May 14th 2013

"My advice is listen to the first two tracks and then pick a couple good ones off their second album and make your own EP."

if you don't like this, make your own! some assembly required!

DinosaurJones

Nope.jpg

Calc
May 14th 2013

dood your ratio of negs to pos's is so large its gotta be some kind of record for someone who seemingly isnt trolling

Digging: Milo - A Toothpaste Suburb

Lol

Digging: Fugazi - Repeater

Gwyn.
May 14th 2013

This is the closest thing they ever did to screamo but lol still