P.O.D.
Satellite

good

by Ben Thornburgh CONTRIBUTOR (127 Reviews)
May 14th, 2013 | 33 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Their beliefs may not be universal but their passion is.

Lets face it. Nu-metal was bad.

A gaggle of lunk-heads rising up from Kurt Cobain’s ashes like a sh*tty phoenix, bypassing the emotional anguish lying at the heart of grunge and heading straight for the distortion pedals.

Lets face it. Christian music is bad.

Religion had a good run musically, heavenly inspiration is the basis for history’s greatest composers, but CCM is constantly two steps behind, insufferably bland or both. Right now a suburban mom is plunking a CD of god-sponsored dubstep on some poor tween’s desk.

But combining the two makes perfect sense. Nu-metal lends Christianity a much-needed shot of energy while the Christianity gives nu-metal a reason to be aggressive beyond getting grounded from the computer. Plus, when P.O.D’s Satellite was released it felt relevant. Nu-metal was clogging the airwaves with a sound so annoying it made anyone musically discerning pine for silence. As someone who was raised in a private Christan school it was, well, a godsend. My parents allowed me relative freedom in my musical selections, trusting my judgment, and I stayed on the straight and narrow. We had a subscription to Focus on the Family’s Plugged In magazine that detailed the objectionable material in new music releases. I obsessed over every issue as a peek into a culture I couldn’t participate in. I knew all about the naughty stuff in Hail to the Thief (“a measured, sleepy sound that might narcotize teens, but sure won’t do anything to inspire them”) long before I heard it. So when Satellite got a passing grade I had all I needed to get my parents to pick it up for me from Best Buy.

P.O.D. on the pulled off the tricky balancing act between message and music perfectly. Unlike many Christian bands that flirt with the mainstream (Paramore, Underoath, Switchfoot) they never shied away from what they were, they were a Christian metal band operating in a genre that desperately needed some optimism. Opener “Set it Off” features front man Sonny Sandoval crying out “Let your spirit fly!” over a massive guitar chug. Heart on sleeve lyrics like these crops all over the album but the band leans into them so hard you can’t help but be swept up in their passion. “Alive”s call to seize the day sounded spectacular on modern rock channels full of angst and it still packs a wallop. “I think I can fly!” sings Sonny, it may read corny but it sounds positively epic on record.

Sonny Sandoval might just be the best nu-metal MC ever. A dubious title to be sure but when he’s unleashing tricky rhyme schemes on “Set it Off” or pulling off Rasta flavored flow switches on “Ridiculous” his styles are certainly superior to the typical half assed bars spewed from the genre. On album highlight “Youth of the Nation” he personifies a school-shooting victim with the kind of confused reasons a juvenile might come up with for why a classmate would murder him (“Maybe for a moment he forgot who he was, or maybe this kid just wanted to be hugged”). Guitarist Marcos Curiel often forgoes power chord riffing to lace tracks with an Edge inspired atmospheric rip. His ominous guitar lines on “Youth of the Nation” carve out miles of space and put a knot of terror in the stomach.

The album falters when Sonny over utilizes his weak singing voice. “Ghetto” and “Thinking About Forever” are both tuneless ballads that crush the albums momentum. Elsewhere, “Without Jah, Nothing” is a bit of silly hardcore thrashing that sounds like it’s going to be interrupted by mom bringing down some snacks. At 52 minutes the album is too long, axing a few of the redundant cuts and slower numbers would have done wonders for the records pacing.

P.O.D. are an example of right place, right, albeit unfortunate, time. Their breakthrough record, Satellite was released on September 11, 2001 and it’s epic tidal wave of hope and love was what people needed. Despite a few flimsy tracks and being 10 minutes too long it has held up admirably. It’s deft blend of nu-metal rage and reggae grooves creates a record that burns with passion, one that can be felt by the devote fanatic and godless heathen alike.

D'Angelo Black MessiahThe Futureheads The Futureheads
Eminem SHADYXVOne Direction Four
Mylo Destroy Rock And RollThe Streets A Grand Don't Come For Free
3.3
YesImThatGuy (3)
Not the best, but not the worst....

Psyclone (4.5)

May 14th 2013

I still go on Plugged in Online from time to time, its interesting to read all the filth I'm polluting myself with. Suggest edits pretty please!

oltnabrick

HERE COMES THE BOOM

DinosaurJones
May 14th 2013

This album was pretty sweet back in the day. It holds up pretty well now too.

SGGreenman
May 14th 2013

Pretty good review. Never cared for these guys though.

pizzamachine
May 14th 2013

yeeeeaaahhh gotta love this album

Acanthus
May 14th 2013

"Alive", "Boom", "Youth Of The Nation", and "Satellite" are still really fun.

Digging: MO - No Mythologies To Follow

20325 Comments

one of the better nu-metal bands out there. review is spot on. pos'd

Omaha
May 14th 2013

Nice write-up, man. I've always enjoyed your reviews-- you have a distinctive writing style, which is a nice change of pace on a site like this.

Only tip I'd offer is to maybe be more subtle with your hooks. Like, in the beginning you succeed in grabbing my attention, but at the same time it's pretty unprofessional to say things like "nu-metal was terrible," etc. If you'd be more interested in toning down the extreme statements like that, or at least phrasing them in a more reasonable manner, then reviews like this would be consistent gold. And I'd really like to see that from you, because you're one of the most promising writers I've seen on here in awhile. Keep up the good work.

Digging: Thou - Heathen

DinosaurJones
May 14th 2013

Side note, I thought Marcos was the guitarist, and Wuv played drums?

May 14th 2013

^Those 4 songs are the ones I still listen to. Can't stop loving them.

@Omaha

Thanks for the advice!

@DinosaurJones

You're right, review hath been fixed, thanks.

May 14th 2013

"Set it Off", "Ridiculous" and "The Messenjah" are the best deep cuts.

Mongi123
May 14th 2013

Nu-Metal isn't bad if you listen to the right bands.

Digging: Rishloo - Living as Ghosts with Buildings as Teeth

MisanthropicElf
May 14th 2013

Just came to say the guy with the Ratchet icon is automatically awesome.

omnipanzer
May 14th 2013

Average album is average.

Irving

HERE COMES THE BOOM

I laughed.

StallionMang
May 14th 2013

Probably my biggest guilty pleasure, but this is their only good album.

Digging: The Smith Street Band - South East Facing Wall

Mad.
May 14th 2013

Youth of the Nation is a great song, almost picked this up but then I obtained music taste.

Excellent review btw, pos'd.

The one thing that always pissed me off about this band is how they failed to evolve their sound from here. They're still making the same, now lifeless, shit they did 10 years ago...