Immolation
Kingdom of Conspiracy

by Michael Snoxall USER (47 Reviews)
May 12th, 2013 | 194 replies | 6,755 views

Release Date: 05/10/2013 | Tracklist

Seminal death metal act, Immolation, have had one of the most consistently impressive discographies in death metal. From their debut masterwork, Dawn of Possession, in ’91 to their ninth and particularly impressive Majesty and Decay, Immolation have spent the last twenty-five years creating some of the most impressive and well-loved technical death metal in the scene. Defined by Robert Vigna’s unique and atonal riffing, the use of drums that emulate the guitar styles to forge a tight and impressive sound, and with Ross Dolan’s eloquent and powerful vocals, Immolation has long-outshined many of their contemporaries with nary a hitch in their long career. While some albums were not as exciting or as groundbreaking as others, the band has arguably never made a bad album, and 2013’s Kingdom of Conspiracy doesn’t see that changing any time soon, even if it does see the band settling into a comfortable niche.

While it is true that Immolation have hardly changed an atom since their previous album, Kingdom of Conspiracy doesn’t let the listener down when it comes down to what Immolation do best: heavy, riff-laden death metal. Vigna is as on-point as ever, pulling out an arsenal of memorable jams that won’t disappoint, even if it is all a little familiar. In fact, one could wager that some of his best moments can be found scattered throughout the record. A personal favourite is at 3:41 in ‘Indoctrinate’, where the song was once a usual affair of brutally fast and unrelenting dissonant riffs, it breaks down into a slow-running technical riff and a melodic solo, Dolan eventually chanting alongside, ”The sadness of wasted life/the sadness of silenced dreams/sorrow for these unwary victims/witness the loss of all identity.” The lyrics tackling the album’s noble (if rather cliché) theme of a society in shackles, supported by Dolan’s powerful vocals, which sound just as good as they usually do, but I can’t help but feel Kingdom of Conspiracy lacks any classic hooks that Dolan usually whips out with each album. Instead, the vocals are steady, coherent and enjoyable, but seem to really lack a certain flavour that the listener has come to enjoy, or expect.

The album’s production is a cause for concern. As with most modern music, the production techniques here leave the music brick-walled, everything too loud for its own good, and the music suffers from it. The over-produced drums sound plastic and steal the shine away from the strong songwriting, everything else in the mix warring to be heard. But as it stands, the production doesn’t really ruin the music, rather it just holds it back. The music lacks a certain atmosphere that Immolation usually has in spades, and before you know it, the album has careened by in a collection of tracks that all stand quite well on their own, but do little to serve as a coherently constructed body of work altogether. Immolation know their own styles too well, and as a whole have created an album that does its best to hold up those styles, but really fails to breathe as flawlessly as an album like Close to a World Below.

All in all, Kingdom of Conspiracy is a solid set of songs by Immolation. The riffs are there; at times they’re massive, off-kilter and encompass everything a fan loves from Immolation’s music. The band’s musicianship is as strong as ever, everyone falling into one another’s niche. The drums read the guitars perfectly and Dolan’s vocals provide the harrowing voice of ruination beside them. But aside from a few key moments that really see the band at their highest moments, the rest is the old Immolation we know and love, and as a result is something we don’t really need to hear again. The album sits comfortably within the band’s discography, but it does nothing to contest the classics that came before.

Momentum HerbivoreBeyond Creation The Aura
Illuminati The CoreSatan Life Sentence
Aosoth IV: An Arrow in HeartJunip Junip
trainofconsequence (4.5)
An astounding accomplishment in death metal, showing more progression from the band with some of the...

Jacquibim CONTRIBUTOR (3)

May 12th 2013

Originally posted here: http://meltingalbumreviews.wordpress.com/2013/05/12/immolation-kingdom-of-conspiracy/

BigPleb
May 12th 2013

Good review dude, agree with most of your points.

I think the title track brings the riffs harder than anything else.

Vakarian12
May 12th 2013

been meaning to check these guys out for a while

and nice review. pos

Digging: Sepultura - Arise

i thought you left

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

i thought you left

Yeah, but I didn't stop writing reviews. I'll keep posting reviews here, but other than that, I won't be part of the community.

damn!!

FrozenVain
May 12th 2013

Great review, man. I mostly agree even though I don't see the production as a problem. I do, however, really agree with the lack of atmosphere. pos'd

Motiv3
May 12th 2013

need to listen to this again, it was great on first listen.

Digging: Punch - They Don?t Have To Believe

Voivod
May 12th 2013

Well written review, pos.

One suggestion:

even if it is all a little familiar

albeit they all sound a little familiar

Digging: Troldhaugen - Obzkure Anekdotez For Maniakal Massez

May 12th 2013

i hate to sound ignorant due to my lack of knowledge on the genre, but my god, i've heard almost every album from this band and there is such little variance to keep me interested. i run into this problem with most death metal. same production, same vocals, same song structures, same exact atmosphere and overall sound across an entire discography.

Anthracks

underwhelming

Digging: Devangelic - Resurrection Denied

Wizard

19329 Comments

Well written review and I agree. I can't help but feel them returning to their Harnessing Ruin days which to say it best was weak sauce when put up against the rest of their discog. Album totally lacks the huge swinging hooks that made Majesty... repeatably awesome.

Deaf, not ignorant : ).

onto the actual review:

discographies in death metal

remove the commas

Defined by Robert Vigna’s unique and atonal riffing

remove 'and'. i mean, it's the atonal riffing that makes it unique, right?

the use of drums that emulate

emulate is probably the wrong word here, as it's typically done by imitation.

record.

i'd get rid of the 'one could wager' bit.

non sequitur, but you could easily fix this by changing 'tackling' to 'tackle'

The album’s production is a cause for concerns, as with most modern music, the production
techniques here leave the music brickwalled

concern* full stop after concern. brick-walled*

The over-produced drums sound plastic and steal the shine away from the strong song writing,
everything else in the mix warring to be heard.

songwriting is one word. 'warring to be heard' that doesn't make any sense in the context you used
it.

but do little to serve as a coherently constructed body of work altogether

omit 'altogether' - it's extraneous

idk if breathe is the word you're looking for. idk, i'd rework this

everyone falling into the one another’s niche

obvious fix

May 12th 2013

good review overall, just a few kinks to work out.

wiz: edit: misread your comment. in all seriousness though i'm a very avid fan of music. i listen to
it, i play it, i write about it, and i know a lot about the actual formula death metal follows, but
maybe it's just not for me.

remove the commas

No, I'm grammatically correct there.

remove 'and'. i mean, it's the atonal riffing that makes it unique, right?

Not necessarily.

emulate is probably the wrong word here, as it's typically done by imitation.

Nope, it's the exact word I'm looking for. The drumming in Immolation's work was always a direct imitation of the guitar work in the way the drum patterns follow it to a tee.

i'd get rid of the 'one could wager' bit.

I wouldn't.

non sequitur, but you could easily fix this by changing 'tackling' to 'tackle'

Danke. Will fix.

concern* full stop after concern. brick-walled*

Whoops, typo. Danke, will fix.

'warring to be heard' that doesn't make any sense in the context you used
it.

It does in the way I meant it, all the instruments are warring for the top spot in the mastering because of the bad brick-walling.

idk if breathe is the word you're looking for. idk, i'd rework this

It was the exact word I was looking for.

obvious fix

Not so obvious to me, reads fine (perhaps I'm too daft?).

Otherwise, thanks for reading!

Wizard

19329 Comments

maybe it's just not for me.

Hahahaha I know you're a cool user, just playing around. In all seriousness, don't compare this to the rest of their discography because I'm finding this to be so damn boring throughout. The atmosphere on Close to a World Below is an absolute marvel in the dm genre which hasn't been focused on since. I find some of their latter albums - this as well - to be way to clean cut in it's execution. Also, try some Arghoslent if this is too brutal or whatever it is you don't like about this band.

TheNotrap

Album's solid.

Good review, have a pos.

Digging: Savage Grace - Master Of Disguise

TheSpirit
May 12th 2013

you already know how i feel about this but p good review

Digging: Venus Star - Nigredo Expulsion

Mewcopa0
May 12th 2013

A lot of run-ons. Very hard to follow the flow of information at some points. I won't neg tho, it's not a bad review.