10 Years
Minus the Machine

by Nick Mongiardo CONTRIBUTOR (80 Reviews)
May 10th, 2013 | 14 replies | 1,862 views

Review Summary: 10 Years is done feeding the wolves.

After listening to Minus the Machine, it's quite evident that 10 Years decided to go back to their roots. Feeding the Wolves was an attempt to please their record company, but now that they created the album under their own label, 10 Years really brought back memories to the fantastic Autumn Effect. Is Minus the Machine as masterful as The Autumn Effect? The truth is nothing could measure up to their breakthrough album. However, their latest album comes very close and some songs on Minus the Machine sound like they could fit right in on The Autumn Effect. Even with that said, the album is more flawed than The Autumn Effect.

The biggest gripe I have with Minus the Machine is that some of the songs seem incomplete. Forever Fields is a beautiful song with thought-provoking lyrics, but the song ends out of nowhere. Sometimes it's awesome when a song ends like that, but the way Forever Fields ends is downright awkward. Dancing with the Dead suffers from an awkward ending as well. The band also has some screaming vocals on a couple songs, but for the most part they do not pay off. There is one part in Knives where "wake up, wake up, wake up dead fly" is screamed and judging from this lyric screaming really doesn't suit them. They should really stick to what they do best and that is when Jesse delivers emotional performances and hits high notes with surprising ease.

The bands performance as a whole on Minus the Machine is masterful as always. One aspect that has gotten remarkably better is the drumming. Some of the beats and rhythms on the album are quite intense. The guitar and bass work is well done, but there is nothing too complex in the guitar work. However, you do not need complex guitar work for the bands performance to pay off. Each riff is perfect for each emotion that is trying to be conveyed. Jesse is the other piece of the puzzle used to convey these emotions and his singing is incredible as always. Jesse has never disappointed me on any of their past albums and this album is no exception. Sleeper really showcases is excellence.

Sleeper, one of the standout tracks, delivers a compelling performance about confusing something for a cure when it is really a curse. However, that curse is open to your own interpretation. Jesse shouting "martyr, martyr, martyr" is breathtaking. Tightrope is the most emotional song on the record and it is also the most beautiful one. It is quite thought-provoking and amazing instrumentals accompany Jesse on quite a ride. A somber instrumental song leads into ...And All the Other Colors, 10 Years best closing song by a mile. The lyrics are quite empowering and features an incredible final minutes. The drums are the standout in this one.

Minus the Machine is definitely a huge turning point for the band because they are on their own now. There is no label to guide them so they do not have to "feed the wolves" anymore. It showed excellent musicianship that really brought 10 Years back to their roots. Though it may not be flawless, it is quite exceptional most of the time. It's definitely a step up from Feeding the Wolves that really impresses. It's just too bad that 10 Years is often overlooked.

Tracks I recommend:
-Sleeper
-Tightrope
-...And All the Other Colors

Low Roar 0A Slow Descent Secrets of a Melting Moon
Opeth Pale CommunionDeftones Saturday Night Wrist
Deftones DeftonesA Bunny's Caravan Draining Puddles, Retrieving Treasures
Caleb C. (3)
Too much throwing at walls, and not quite enough sticking....

Alex Beebe (2)
A mind-numbingly boring, and ultimately forgettable affair....

Kyle Boucher (3.5)
A solid release that combines the sounds of an overlooked band's career....

May 10th 2013

Not bad, but you often compare this album to "Feeding the Wolves" and "The Autumn Effect" quite often, especially the first paragraph. Though I do like the summary.

Also, I'd much like it if you put quotation marks or something else that indicates the song titles. Sorry, it's just me with that. :P

Digging: Olafur Arnalds - ...And They Have Escaped The Weight Of Darkness

May 10th 2013

Thanks I take that into account next time

benkim

2094 Comments

Agree on most points especially about Jesse's best work being when he puts out emotional lines and effortlessly hits high notes. Disagree about Forever Fields though, the lengh is perfect. Have a pos

skoopy48
May 11th 2013

Good review, I really like this album for some reason.

June 15th 2013

Haha do u really need one? Some songs and albums just speak to you for some reason you can't explain.

Omio
March 13th 2014

I liked the album, and will probably give it another listen after reading this review. But for me, nothing can really beat The Autumn Effect. Really liked that song on Division, "So Long, Goodbye". Amazing ballad.

March 13th 2014

Damn this rev is an oldie :D But yea nothing beats TAE. Masterpiece.

March 13th 2014

You might as well fix it.

March 13th 2014

In the future I wanna go through a lot of my old reviews but I wanna focus on improving more and reviewing in the now before I do that.

What you think of All the other colors?

March 13th 2014

It was good but not very memorable honestly. I've heard better.

March 13th 2014

Aww ok I fucking love this song along with sleeper and tight rope

March 13th 2014

I know you do. Aw well, maybe this might grow on me after a while. That's usually what happens to me anyways.

Underflow
May 10th 2014

Battle Lust is a great tune.

May 10th 2014