Sort Vokter
Folkloric Necro Metal

by Passname USER (9 Reviews)
May 10th, 2013 | 6 replies | 566 views

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Do you REALLY want to experience nature?

This was the question that was presented to my mind after listening to the album Folkloric Necro Metal, which was released in 1996 from cult black metal musician Ildjarn and friends.

Sometimes I thought of just escaping it all, society, family, school, work, and the various daily pressures. Escaping it all to the idealized safe haven of nature; living freely and witnessing firsthand the majesty of snowcapped mountains, golden pastures, mossy greens, listening to the calming sound of running rivers, recording black metal vocals in the caverns of luminous caves, and walking under the trees of awe-inspiring forests not unlike those shown on the cover of this very album. But is this notion of paradise realistic?

Yes and no. Yes there is an inherent beauty to be found in nature… but nature can also scare the living *** out of you. There are animals and insects residing there that could kill you without a thought of remorse. I’m sure getting lost in a forest is not a very relaxing experience for the human psyche. Nightfall probably wouldn’t help there either. What if you were simply just living in a house on a mountainside? Mother Nature could send you mudslides, avalanches, crazy thunderstorms, blizzards, hobos with shotguns. You like hiking? Well here’s a wolf or bear that is going to *** up your day. I could go on and on about the terrifying things of nature just as I could spend time relishing in its beauty. But one thing is for certain; either way nature does not give a fuck about you.

In the liner notes it is stated that the album was created under the influence of THC. It is certainly not the first album made in this fashion, but if the musicians here decided that it was something worth noting, then I am of the opinion that it is not a bad idea to listen to this under the same influence.

Ultimately it is up to you whether to embrace nature or learn to enjoy commuting in traffic. Give this a listen and find out where you stand.

Luciferion Demonication (The Manifest)Ras Algethi Oneiricon - The White Hypnotic
Summoning Old Mornings DawnPyrexia Sermon of Mockery
Pathfinder Beyond the Space, Beyond the TimeHuman Fortress Defenders of the Crown

RangDang
May 10th 2013

Not a good review, you don't even describe the album

May 10th 2013

The description of the album is in the review.

JS19
May 10th 2013

No it really isn't. You say nothing about the music

Digging: This Will Destroy You - Another Language

May 10th 2013

You say nothing about the music

What I talk about in the review is a metaphor for what the albums sounds like and the message I
strongly feel Ildjarn was trying to communicate to the listener. There are moments of indescribable
bliss and moments where I was truly scared in real life from what was coming out of the speaker. The
fact that they do it through pulsing darkthrone and burzum-esque rhythms, hypnotic keyboard synths,
and uniquely eerie screams is not necessary to mention imo.

none