Beyond Creation
The Aura

1.5
very poor

by Michael Snoxall USER (47 Reviews)
May 9th, 2013 | 110 replies | 5,080 views

Review Summary: Worse than holes in socks.

More and more nowadays is modern technical death metal becoming a meaningless non-entity, less and less bands are pushing the boundaries of creativity and are instead letting their mainstay be the technicality itself, pushing the fold of who can sweep, shred and blast the fastest. Whereas some listeners would like a band to use technicality as a means of developing the experimentation of sound, many use it as a crutch to make up for a lack of decent songwriting skill. Beyond Creation are one of these many bands who remain to do nothing different, and rather just pull out another boring hour of same-y riffs and shreds with their debut album, The Aura. It’s 2013, the album has been re-released through the record label Season of Mist. The album lacks no real extra features, the production remains the same and the only noticeable difference is a bonus demo track, more and more this re-release feels like a waste of time for a band who were already popular enough in the modern death metal circuit as it was.

That’s not to say The Aura is all bad, the band does an admirable job of blending some very likeable riffs in with some half-decent ambient-esque segments, in between all the sheer fret board lovery. In fact, it’s not even all the over-the-top technicality that bothers me most about this album; it’s the production. Everything on this record is produced to a high plastic sheen, and the band seems to want to let the most light shine on their bassist: Dominic Lapointe. Lapointe’s use of a fretless bass seems to have garnered attention from every young metalhead around the globe, his technical quality shining obnoxiously through the music so loudly that it even takes preference over the lead guitars half the time; and it’s not used in the same groovy way Primus utilises the bass forefront, it’s used solely for the purpose of showing off the immense amount of bass wank there is on this record. And it doesn’t help that the bass tone sounds god-awful. I mean, really, it’s pitiful. In the opening track, there are parts where the bass sounds like a moaning woman--so much so that I had to pause and rewind just to make sure it was actually part of the music--and half the time otherwise it sounds like wet rubber stretching to breaking point.

Bass rants aside; Beyond Creation’s music veers dangerously to the border between technical death metal and deathcore. The use of more hardcore-oriented guttural vocals and at times, pig squealing, shrieking deathcore highs and breakdowns that just don’t feel like a classic death metal romp and more like a deathcore chugdown lets the music down, in between all the useless soloing and immensely over-produced drumming which leaves just about everything to the imagination. The vocals just lack any kind of solid death metal aesthetic and feel hollow and lifeless at the forefront of the hollow and lifeless music. The demo track for ‘Injustice Revealed’ sounds more or less exactly the same, just not quite as polished as its final form as The Aura’s fifth track. It sits as a pretty useless add-on to this re-release and serves as nothing if not a detriment to the record.

The Aura sits as another hour of soulless nothingness, feeling rather dull and because of its long run-time, its disengaging music leaves the listener to their own devices. It’s flat, it’s mediocre, it’s plastic, it’s an empty husk of death metal that uses its technical ferocity as a gimmick for nothing less than utter mediocrity. Beyond Creation have a vibrant and promising career ahead of them.

Momentum HerbivoreImmolation Kingdom of Conspiracy
Illuminati The CoreSatan Life Sentence
Aosoth IV: An Arrow in HeartJunip Junip
Subrick (1.5)
A masterpiece this is anything but....

LoneWanderer (4.5)
Astounding technical skill and top notch songwriting allows Beyond Creation to enter the technical d...

May 9th 2013

album is so goddamn horrid

Eclecticist
May 9th 2013

Of all the technically inclined death metal bands out there these guys are one of the best. Your
criticism reads like you copied and pasted your opinion from a Brain Drill review.

May 9th 2013

read the review and maybe you'll see

May 9th 2013

never listened to brain drill in my life but i'm sure they suck too

Voivod
May 9th 2013

I remember enjoying this back in the day, although it was nowhere near groundbreaking.

Digging: Lisa Gerrard - Twilight Kingdom

oltnabrick

posd

Digging: Ariana Grande - My Everything

Mewcopa0
May 9th 2013

I'm not a fan of tech death at all, and I still think this album isn't half bad.

DrHouseSchuldiner
May 9th 2013

Pos'd,although disagree with the rating

MO
May 9th 2013

nah this is a good album

listen to Augury for something fresh snorlax

Digging: Immolation - Dawn of Possession

Madbutcher3
May 9th 2013

This album's pretty good, but I do admit that there's a bit too much chug for my liking at times.

listen to Augury for something fresh snorlax

I like Augury much better, the bassist doesn't make me want to kill myself when he's playing with Augury

you're getting neg'd snoxall, would you like me to pos you?

only if you mean it

TheSpirit
May 9th 2013

this is a good review people need to stop being so sensitive

Digging: Venus Star - Nigredo Expulsion

Metalstyles
May 9th 2013

There are some telling facts to be found here regarding what you were doing when you listened to this.

Good review. I don't agree with it (I don't love this album but I think it's decent), but it's well written.

Scoot

wat

snox this is an example of good tech death when there really isn't much nowadays

xist
May 9th 2013

I really liked your "So you want to Death Metal" list as a handy stepping stone for people interested in DM, but your criticism of this album seems a fair way from objective. It seems to boil down to you not liking the clean production (which is ok by Tech Death standards), not liking the bass playing (which is a weird complaint in a way as bass is absent from DM a lot of the time) and that the vocals aren't generic Death Metal enough. Also that last sentence is terrible.

I know reviews can't help but be a little subjective but where possible it's best to remain as objective as possible, and this one doesn't really read in that way.

Metalstyles
May 9th 2013

Also that last sentence is terrible.
I gotta agree with this. I thought I'd let it go at first, but it really is a horrible conclusion.

May 9th 2013

This isn't that bad. It isn't nonsensical like 90% of the genre.

Digging: Messiah - Choir of Horrors

foxblood
May 9th 2013

wtf this is one of the few recent albums in the genre that isn't nonsense

how can you be serious

Pestiferous

tehe

Shuyin
May 9th 2013

Was this Review Well Written?

Digging: Integral - Sercosa