The Used
Lies for the Liars

2.0
poor

by Scott M. Baldwin USER (90 Reviews)
May 7th, 2013 | 20 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I'll tell you the name of the game, we call it "Riding the Gravy Train".

Sure, when The Used broke out onto the scene back in 2002, they were a force to be reckoned with; they were able to make up for their hopeless trend-hopping (and subsequently back themselves up as a band) with some absolutely beautiful song-writing; songs like "Noise and Kisses" and "Blue and Yellow" are but examples. 5 years later and Scr/emo begins the eventual decline it was destined to succumb to (much like Nu-metal before it) and almost every band in the genre sound like parodies. So there's one thing you have to give The Used some credit for in their third album; they try to stand out above the rest and shake things up a bit. Sadly, there's a moment when the band become victims of their own intentions, and The Used allowed that to happen to them all too easily with Lies for the Liars, but it doesn't stop there- they simultaneously became victims of their own success too.

It's pretty loud and clear on the first two tracks of the album; "The Ripper" and "Pretty Handsome Awkward". Both are catchy, fast-paced and have some tasty riffs and choruses, but after awhile, it becomes all too evident that they picked the path that could lead to their eventual musical demise. "The Bird and the Worm" is only notable for its heavy use of strings; but take those away and and the song sounds pretty weak. It's already a pretty weak song with cringe-worthy lyrics and lack of fun riffs. Which sums up most of the album; it's full of hopelessly mainstream crap. "Hospital", "With Me Tonight", and "Wake the Dead" all seem as if they're tailored specifically for radio play; same chords over and over, verse/chrous/verse/chorus song structures and somewhere between 3-4 minutes long; then there's "Liar Liar", which is bar none one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my life. Not only does it sound like Fall Out Boy wrote it, but check out the lyrics:

Liar liar, pants on fire
Liar liar, stop your soul from catching
Fire, fire, god and maker
Liar liar

Any song that uses the words "Liar liar, pants on fire" needs to stay away from my ears, and this isn't even all of the bad lyrics. One of the lines in "Pretty Handsome Awkward" goes something like, "You bleed just like you puke while crossing a line". I'm sorry, WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN? Or this masterpiece from "Paralyzed":

Paralyzed by the same old antics
Back and forth like some walking spastic
How could a fistfight be romantic?
Thinking back now will you ever feel the same?

It thankfully isn't all doom and gloom and disappointment. "Earthquake" is a beautiful power ballad with gorgeous lyrics and lush musical arrangements. Bert sounds amazing on it as well, and "Smother Me" has a nice sound to it that sounds a bit like their first album. But those songs aren't enough to redeem the album. And while I respect that The Used tries to distance themselves from the trend that emo became at the time, sadly they chose a direction that just didn't work. Though, to be fair, at least someone was able to take "The Bird and the Worm", amp it up a bit and use it to make the 2010 remake of Clash of the Titans seem like a badass movie.

Steely Dan Pretzel LogicSteely Dan Gaucho
Opeth Pale CommunionSoundtrack Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1
Hans Zimmer The Amazing Spider-Man 2Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker Advanced Basics
3.1
good
Ryan Lizotte (4)
The Used might have "Used" up a bit of their gas on the first two, but they had JUST enough left in ...

VicariousIntent (4)
The Used's most mature effort yields some of the band's best material, but isn't without it's flaws....

Michael Roberts (4)
The Used come correct incorporating news aspects and instruments to their sound, in turn creating a ...

Fort23 (3.5)
The Used grow up, but don't make Post-grunge their new genre....

May 7th 2013

Decided to keep this one short and sweet. Been a while since I listened to it until today.

YoYoMancuso
May 7th 2013

nice Floyd reference, pos just for that (review is good as well)

i heard the lead single off this and was not impressed in the least

nice review, have a pos
this is a nostalgia album for me but I quite detest it now

Calc
May 7th 2013

I love this album, but i could care less about lyrics.

Digging: Jizue - Shiori

May 7th 2013

The Ripper is still an excellent song imo

May 7th 2013

I particularly love the chorus of The Ripper. Bert's voice when he sings "So WHY AM IIIII not just living for today?" Is just so powerful.

Calc
May 7th 2013

the slow songs on this are fuking beautiful, like all of them.

and i love quesadillas

Pretty Handsome Awkward

Transformers was a shit movie

May 7th 2013

I liked or at least tolerated the first and third Transformers movies, I mean, they gave me what I expected. Just, robots fucking shit up left and right. That's all I wanted.

Second movie took itself way too seriously and focused too much on the humans and some conspiracy theory plot.

yeah the 2nd was wayyyy convoluted
the kicking out of megan fox gave me a laugh though, although I wish they kept her in because changing out a major actress is weird

CK

Definitely their worst album. I thoroughly enjoy Hospital and Liar Liar, though

May 7th 2013

Thing is, Bay isn't necessarily a bad DIRECTOR. He has shown before he's perfectly capable of editing together a nice looking scene and he's got a good eye for a shot. It's the scripts he chooses, which are problematic to say the least. I haven't seen Pain and Gain, but if there's a dead period in the next few weeks and the cinema is slightly anemic, I'll check it out.

special effects tho

i enjoy songs off this

Digging: Tragedy - Vengeance

DrGonzo1937
May 8th 2013

Beisides Handsome Awkward, I thought this album was pretty poo. The one after this was much better.

DrGonzo1937
May 8th 2013

Really? haha Dunno, I just felt there were a lot more songs with some good groove to them in Artwork. Plus the singers voice can piss me off.

fromtheinside
May 8th 2013

artwork is their best so no surprise there

SingingInTheRain
May 8th 2013

First two albums were the only ones I actually cared about by these guys