Escape the Fate
Ungrateful

by P.J. Quinones USER (35 Reviews)
May 7th, 2013 | 91 replies

Release Date: 05/14/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The newest radio metalcore addition.

Since Mabbitt has joined Escape the Fate, the man has sure been through a lot. Constant berating from a bullish man named Ronnie Radke, a miserable sob in Max Green, two mediocre albums, a new record label, an album made and destroyed post-s/t because he himself despised it, and a few big lineup changes other than himself, him and his crew are finally back for Ungrateful. It isn't an album to scrub clean their generic reputation, but one to do better what they tried to do in the last two records and place them on the mainstream rock radios probably for good. The hints of epic sound showcased in the more straightforward metalcore songs on Escape the Fate of 2010 have come full circle in this record on a very evident level. It's a welcome change from the disastrous self titled dejection, making Ungrateful clearly defined as a radio-fodder metalcore album.

In the most literal way possible, ETF has combined the formulas of album writing for This War Is Ours and Escape the Fate. The song structure of open, bridge, chorus, bridge, refrain, sometime a solo, end, similarly follows that of self titled, but has the more upbeat vibes of This War Is Ours. The guitar work doesn't directly follow either release directly, as that is probably the only thing that makes Escape the Fate interesting. Monte Money sometimes keeps the listener on edge with riffs, melodies, reintroduction of the breakdown which is actually not so sickeningly often as some bands, and his trademark solos. His brother, Michael, doesn't do too much to set himself apart as the group's official rhythm guitarist, and neither does TJ Bell, the new bassist, but they two and the talented Robert Ortiz on the drums make a predictable yet reliable foundation for Monte's instrumental spotlight. As for Mabbitt, he has abandoned his usual methodless whining and uttering for a true element of tact in his singing and while he hasn't really expanded much on his range, he's done well to use it. The screaming is used a good amount more than in self titled which is welcome, since he's been good at it throughout his career.

One strong downside to this record is a bunch of fodder. A few songs are good enough for radio consideration on their level of popularity, but songs that stand out with a unique sound whatsoever are few. Ungrateful is the aforementioned radio song, it, You're Insane, Chemical Love, Picture Perfect, and Desire are the only ones that ring with their own vibe, with Desire probably being the most enjoyable of that group for it's chorus. Those not mentioned all have a cliche structure of predictable guitars, builds, and choruses reminiscent of Avenged Sevenfold's newer efforts in some measure. And probably the most useless element of the entire album is the corny piano pieces thorughout. They're placed in some of the most awkward places on unfitting songs, and their presence brings down a record that would be much better raw of synthesizers in all ways. Craig has also taken a step back with some really really dumb lyrics. He was never a sterling example of lyricism but after some good lyrics before, his work on this album was disappointing to hear. The worst being "One for the Money":

It's my time
It's your time
Help me down,
Now it's don't give a f*ck time

The song is pretty useless in general, but the lyrics make it horrible. You'll hear it once and probably skip it every other time. The step away from creative control rampant in Escape the Fate has clearly not been made in full as the method of lyrics are now fully distasteful.

With some catchy tunes now under their belt to redeem of their old sins, Escape the Fate is ready to move away from experimentation and into the mainstream of metalcore. They'll never be considered a special band, as it seems like this is the fate they cannot escape now but they'll be on the radio without creative control helping, as they evidently wanted. Some elements of old will always stay as long as Monte Money is in the band, and that will be their redeeming factor to keep them at least slightly interesting as time goes on.

The Word Alive RealBlessthefall Hollow Bodies

Great read pj pos' d

Digging: Hail Mary Mallon - Bestiary

ButtsweatAndTears
May 7th 2013

Was About to review but you summed it up perfectly. Big Improvement from the self titled though.... Surprised that Monte is damn talented but is wasted in ETF

May 7th 2013

Falling In Reverse's new song makes this look good.

May 7th 2013

merpmerp I honestly wouldn't mind the song if not for the fucking stupid content of his rap. He needs to get over himself and then the rapping won't be bad at all. He's using rap as another way to seperate himself from the crowd because he's a piece of shit like that. The rest of the band's talent is going to waste. Rap about something good or let J Vincent and the crew do their thing. The band is now Radke and the other guys.

May 7th 2013

FourthReich and others who pos'd thank you all!

Sapient.

"Falling In Reverse's new song makes this look good." [2]

May 7th 2013

I pos'd btw, good review. But no, it's not only the shitty rap that makes that song suck. The screaming over the awful electronic music, the generic guitar work that could have been so much better considering the fact the "J Vincent" or whatever the fuck his name is actually pretty talented, and all around lack of effort. I mean seriously, Radke only had like 12 fans left... I'm surprised that he would come out with such a ballsy song.

May 7th 2013

Jacky Vincent is his full name I was just being lazy. The song really is catchy, its just the fact that Ronnie is completely self absorbed that annoys me. The change is welcome, at least to me, because I've been getting sick of so many post hardcore bands doing the same shit all the time anyways. I'll probably be more interested to hear the FIR album than I am in this album I just reviewed tbh.

May 7th 2013

Well yeah this album blows, but if FIR stick with that shit sound, their new album will be a 0.5

May 7th 2013

New to the genre obviously

ButtsweatAndTears
May 7th 2013

FIR last album was on par with Etf last album imo.
ETF progressed with this while FIR seem to have regressed

Sconza
May 7th 2013

I'm glad that FiR are going the Brokencyde route.

bestredsox
May 7th 2013

In my honest opinion this is by far 100x better then their self titled but it does have its flaws, but there isn't a track on this albums that falls flat on its face that i can not stand.

SingingInTheRain

The band are awful

BlackLlama
May 8th 2013

Almost went 2.5, but I'm actually enjoying this one quite a bit. So it garners a 3 for now. I appreciate the heavier (slightly) turn of the record.

theacademy

THESE

ISSUES

MMX

ARE IRRELEVANT NOW

Digging: Rancid - ...And Out Come the Wolves

somerandomusername
May 9th 2013

Listening to the stream now. "Ungrateful" didn't do a lot for me, but I'm digging "Until We Die".