Knife Party
Haunted House

1.0
awful

by Scott M. Baldwin USER (91 Reviews)
May 5th, 2013 | 56 replies

Release Date: 05/06/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "In the future, nobody drops the bass."

I'm still trying, at this point, to comprehend why exactly Knife Party's latest EP left me feeling cold. I mean, I knew exactly what I was in for; generic house/EDM beats mixed with annoying as hell voice samples and synth riffs laden with effects that can cause a headache if listened to at the right volume (and if loud enough, a migraine). However, having listened to their previous EP, Rage Valley (which I also hated), at least there was some novelty in it. Here, I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would enjoy music that sounds as if Swire and McGrillen got super lazy and just let their computers do the work. While I streamed the EP on SoundCloud, the comments that kept popping up included stuff like: "amazinggggg!" "epic!!!" "the wait is over!" "knife party r da best!", and the majority of those comments came from the first ten seconds of the song(s) alone.

Of course, it's easy to see why Swire and McGrillen went for this type of market; it's the "in" thing nowadays, and even the boys themselves blatantly admitted it. That, right there, should be an immediate red flag. And as lame as Rage Valley was, at least that album has some variety. Not very much, of course, as the songs often were split between dubstep and electro house; but at least the last song was mildly fun to listen to. Not much of the same can be said here. All four songs sound exactly the same and blend into each other at once; none of them sound even remotely compelling or "fun". They're all boring as hell, uninspired, and so obviously produced on machines. The intro to "Power Glove" shows some promise, but then suddenly begins repeating over and over before the migraine synth kicks in almost half way through and delivers an uninspiring riff that loops over and over until your head explodes. And this is the album as a whole; uninspiring, exhausting to listen to, only appeals to the lowest common denominator.┬*

The only thing else mildly amusing about Haunted House are the voice samples at the beginning of "Internet Friends". They're pretty hilarious and consist of a woman asking questions such as "Do you think I'm hot?" "Why won't you talk to me???" "You're probably ***ing some other slut, aren't you?" "Are you gay?". And of course, you've heard the story; it goes downhill and doesn't evolve. Which sums up my feelings about Haunted House as a whole. It's clear evidence that Swire and McGrillen just don't care anymore. All they seem to have going for them is begin another duo of musicians sacrificing talent for the type of sound hat will get them played on every top 40 station nowadays.┬*I'd close this review with hope for a Pendulum reunion, but we all know that's not gonna happen for at least ten years.

Donald Fagen Sunken CondosSteely Dan Pretzel Logic
Steely Dan GauchoOpeth Pale Communion
Soundtrack (Film) Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1Hans Zimmer The Amazing Spider-Man 2
2.1
poor
Will Robinson STAFF (1)
Well, fuck...

May 5th 2013

What a crock of shit album. Sadly though, I'm only just giving Swire and co more power.

Brostep
May 5th 2013

Yep, basically my thoughts. Nicely written, have a pos

Epicenter
May 5th 2013

Recommended by the Reviewer was funny.

May 5th 2013

I'm just really fucking tired of these guys, honestly. If someone punches them in the face and tells them to get some sense into then, I'll send said person a gift basket.

NeoSpaz

nice one mate, pos'd

May 5th 2013

This is really bad but their intention is pretty clear and they seem to be aware of it. It's just harmless party music, and if it garners way more attention than it deserves, they aren't necessarily the ones to blame.

Don't get me wrong I don't disagree with the negative opinion of this, but rating this 0.5 or 1 just seems to me like a reaction to something more than just the actual content on the EP.

May 5th 2013

But it's just so LAZY and dull. I love my party music, some of it's nice. But this would kill my buzz if I heard it at a party.

What tmobotron said

Digging: Freddie Gibbs and Madlib - Pinata

May 5th 2013

if you heard this at a party you'd probably bop your head or do something with it

May 5th 2013

Exactly, I typically really dislike this kind of music but with this I found myself thinking that it at least could get me to move to it a bit.

Derivative and a bit lazy, sure, but overall pretty inoffensive dance music.

How's that dig BTW fish? I really liked Desolate's first full-length but never bothered to check the follow-up.

May 5th 2013

I REALLY wanted to like that album but it just sounded so uninspired. The first album's good though!

I could dance to this

I really like my dig, haven't heard his d├ębut in full yet but I usually struggle to find downtempo/dark ambient stuff which creates that atmosphere I love whilst remaining interesting and meaty on a directly musical level, and this manages it really well. Giving a quick skim through the d├ębut, it's probably worth giving this a go if you like it. They sound similar, although it isn't actually grabbing me as much as CLB does. Actually, if you have any recs in that area I'd be interested. Should probably give Apex Twin a full go

fromtheinside
May 5th 2013

these reviews really make it sound like i'm gonna love this

Digging: Devin Townsend Project - Z2

22014 Comments

Weird that the one album in that kind of music I ended up getting really into is the one a lot of people are iffy about

fromtheinside
May 5th 2013

youre right that is weird
we should all flat out hate this

22014 Comments

We're not talking about knife party anymore, not worth it

treeqt.

LAZY

Digging: Emmanuelle Bertrand - Dutilleux / Ligeti / Bacri / Crumb / Henze

May 5th 2013

Yeah I just don't see how "lazy" makes this a 1. I think a lot of people are rating out of spite.

May 5th 2013

trust me there are a ton. you just gotta look in the right places.

May 5th 2013

oh wait you wanted recs? I could post some on your shoutbox if you want