Knife Party

by Will Robinson STAFF
May 5th, 2013 | 42 replies | 5,481 views

Release Date: 05/06/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Well, fuck

Ladies and gentlemen, Knife Party has done it. The house duo has managed to take a floundering EDM world and sucked whatever life it had left out of its spirit. The Haunted House EP is an example of everything wrong with an already controversial market of music, and everything contained within is on principle abhorrent. Though at one point Knife Party was acceptable (their 100% No Modern Talking EP was at least decent), their style of “sounds-like-everyone-else” electro house has started to wear thin, as evidenced by their second release, Rage Valley. The solution? Apparently, the duo consisting of Rob Swire and Gareth McGrillen has decided to produce four shameless ripoffs of many electro house songs released recently - and it’s a rather poor solution.

Now, these songs individually aren’t necessarily the worst things in the world. “Power Glove” sounds like something a relative producer newbie would come out with after hearing “Internet Friends” a couple times, and LRAD is pretty much any “let’s f**king rage” progressive house anthem which’ll shoot to the top of the charts on Beatport for a week and then abruptly fall off. Rather, it’s the idea of the EP that’s so horrific. The mere thought that these men who at one point turned the drum & bass world on its head would become practitioners of the so-called “EDM corporate bulls**t” which detracts so much from genres so fraught with stagnation as electro and progressive house would have been inconceivable some time ago. However, it’s clear that times have changed. I have to tip my hat to Knife Party at this point for releasing something which is so dumbed-down and machine-produced that there’s legitimately no life whatsoever left within. The songs themselves aren’t so much abominations in that they reach crunk-core levels of terrible, but rather they take an incredibly safe sound that’s guaranteed to sell, especially under a big name like Knife Party, and run with it over four songs. The approach here is so soulless and profit-hungry that the end result is almost terrifying to listen to. Every song here sounds so much like every single electro house song on the main radio rotations that it’s virtually impossible to look at the EP as anything other than a flagrant derivative of everything “marketable” in the EDM world, and as a result it embodies everything wrong with the market.

So, here’s to Knife Party. They have utterly destroyed any last vestige of respectability with Haunted House, both in terms of their own reputation for decent house and in terms of the hope they brought to the EDM community only a year or two ago. They’ve gone out with a whimper, and will most likely continue to whimper for some time, maybe with more fetid EPs, maybe with popular live shows. Whatever they do, though, they most likely won’t be able to top the abhorrence of this EP. Finally succumbing to the commercialization of electro and progressive house, Knife Party have gone down quite a ways. Here’s to hoping that status will change soon.

Todd Terje It's Album TimeSkrillex Recess
NickBee Empty Your MindDisney Soundtracks Frozen: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
We Roll Like Madmen The Kids Must DieThe Glitch Mob Love Death Immortality
2.2
poor
Scott M. Baldwin (1)
"In the future, nobody drops the bass."...

Rage Valley

100% No Modern Talking
recommended by reviewer
Just stop
This is bad

May 5th 2013

And the Internet Friends VIP basically changes nothing except the tempo and beat structure.

First 1 review, feedback appreciated greatly

Digging: Todd Terje - It's Album Time

Spec

BBBBONFIRE

BUH-BUH-BUH-BUH-BON-BON-FIRE!

Insurrection

19528 Comments

i liked both of their eps a bit. will prob check this out to see how bad it is

Digging: Cult Leader - Nothing for Us Here

May 5th 2013

I enjoyed their first, never really liked their second, but both are better than this by about a factor of 10

Spec
May 5th 2013

This one is terrible yeah.

breakingthefragile
May 5th 2013

Electronic EP of forever, eat your heart out Kindred.

This kicks Kindred's ass mothafuckas

Omaha

Ooh will listen

Very nice work, Will. Upon the quick first read, only thing if say is that your conclusion lacks that bit of punch your final paragraphs usually have.

Digging: Koan Sound - Dynasty

Eloriaz
May 5th 2013

I thought "EDM Death Machine" was the most "fun" to listen to, but unfortunately that's not saying
much...
Well, too bad =(

Digging: Source Direct - Exorcise The Demons

fromtheinside
May 5th 2013

i like their facebook song.

Digging: Lord Mantis - Death Mask

Eloriaz
May 5th 2013

"Destroy Them with Lazers" is my favorite from No Modern Talking. Catchy!

mindleviticus
May 5th 2013

that album title is scary ooooOooOoOOOOOOOOOoo

May 5th 2013

Modern Talking was good, but my favorite from that was probably Internet Friends

NeoSpaz

brutal review Brostep, nice job

Metalstyles
May 5th 2013

Good review in general, though I agree with Jacob that the conclusion is kind of weak. It seems to be a bit over the place in the sense that, to me, you sound like you don't know exactly what you want to say in the end, as you fluctuate between writing them off and holding out hope for the future.

I hope that makes sense to you, because it did in my head, but now that I put it into words, I'm not so sure anymore haha.

Digging: Metsatoll - Karjajuht

TheMoonchild
May 5th 2013

Hasn't even been up for 3 hours an already it's getting slammed. Hoo boy.

May 5th 2013

Thanks for the positive feedback. Metalstyles, I know what you're saying. I may fix it but it might just be best to leave it be and wait for my next review.

fromtheinside
May 5th 2013

oh yea lazers is fun too

Deviant.
May 5th 2013

That's typically all VIP's tend to do - change one aspect of the song, be it tempo, key tone etc

Also maybe this is just me being cynical, but in your first paragraph you seem to condemn this release for containing aspects that you've applauded in other works

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days