Rudimental
Home

by Davey Boy STAFF
May 1st, 2013 | 87 replies

Release Date: 08/06/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Soulful Drum ‘n’ Bass that is as captivating as it is flawed… David Guetta, this is not!

Nowadays, it is so commonplace for musicians to seemingly appear out of nowhere and reach the top of the charts, that the feat itself feels meaningless. The more relevant question would be whether such acts are a flash in the pan, or long-term prospects. With the recent proliferation of featured artists, one tell-tale of those in the former category uses what could be termed “piggybacking”. However, no such accusation could be directed toward relative unknowns Rudimental or John Newman when ‘Feel the Love’ shot to #1 in the U.K last June. If anything, this was the rare occurrence of two sets of musicians simultaneously achieving the misnomer that is becoming an “overnight success”. And for those playing the “flash vs prospect” guessing game, you may already have your results; with the two teaming up together for subsequent top 20 hit ‘Not Giving In’, while Rudimental again climbed to the peak of the charts (with the help of nineteen year old vocalist Ella Eyre) with ‘Waiting All Night’.

On the surface, all three of these singles deliver an accessibly catchy Drum ‘n’ Bass sound which seemed specifically created for the mainstream market. Dig a little deeper, however, and the triumvirate reveal that they may actually be more substance than style. There is a rapturous vibe permeating each tune, with both the sonic layers and unheralded vocalists contributing equally. Furthermore, the English quartet never allow the frenetic breakbeats to overwhelm, instead choosing to inject soul influences, trumpet breaks and near gospel like backing vocals to play a role in the climactic build-ups. A testament to the varying influences of the four young songwriters/producers/musicians, their debut LP was always going to be an interesting proposition which could have gone either way. Unsurprisingly (for those who did dig beneath the surface), ‘Home’ is a sometimes captivating, occasionally flawed, but always intriguing release.

Right from the get-go with the soulful funk of the title track, Rudimental alert listeners that these soaring smash hits will not necessarily foreshadow ‘Home’ as a cumulative whole. One of many – maybe one too many - female-led slow jams, these arresting tunes brandish impressive vocal performances from the likes of young British singer Foxes (‘Right Here’), Disclosure collaborator Sinead Harnett (‘Hide’) and The Voice alumni Becky Hill (‘Powerless’). Furthermore, the quartet bravely – and wisely – choose to hand two under-stated songs to the most familiar name here: Emeli Sande. Far from adhering to a formula, the group unite with fellow up-and-coming producer MNEK and get a little more ambitiously creative on the gurgling synths of ‘Spoons’ and the ultra-groovy ‘Baby’. The only track which does feel a little ill-fitting is the still solid excursion into hip-hop that is ‘Hell Could Freeze’, featuring Angel Haze; the Michigan born rapper best known for her diss tracks against Azealia Banks.

While pundits are often loathe to label such a collective of electronic music producers as a band, Rudimental truly feel as if they are one. The converging influences of each member results in a diverse amalgam of styles, even if D’n’B purists are likely to champion the compromising “Jack of all trades, master of none” argument. Drum ‘n’ bass, urban house, garage, dubstep and R’n’B are just some of the genres dabbled in, with throwback nods to the likes of Massive Attack, Morcheeba and Soul II Soul merging with acknowledgements of modern contemporaries such as Disclosure, SBTRKT and even James Blake. While this back-loaded fifty-six minute album undoubtedly has some sequencing and editing issues, it is a meticulously crafted debut which should be just as effective on a good pair of headphones, as it is played live in a club or at a festival. At the very least, ‘Home’ is that rare commodity which is chart attractive dance music that actually contains substance… David Guetta, this is not!

Recommended Tracks: Feel the Love, Not Giving In, Waiting All Night & Powerless.

Emmure Eternal EnemiesThe Pretty Reckless Going to Hell
Broods BroodsThe Jezabels The Brink
Fanfarlo Let's Go ExtinctAbandon All Ships Malocchio
3.1
good

DB is D’n’B

These guys put out some quality music videos too.

Feel the Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

Not Giving In: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9-Lwpgfd1E

Waiting All Night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M97vR2V4vTs

Spoons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9iZh5lV13M

Baby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tveH9jg1FRA

Unsure if 'Baby' is an official single, but it has a video.

May 1st 2013

feel the love and not givin in can smd

smd - satisfy my day

Not feelin the love there TG?

May 1st 2013

but yeah davey lives! sweet

Thought it was gonna be Deviant from the summary

Digging: Friendzone - Collection 1

May 1st 2013

don't mind em mate but as you know they are fuckin everywhere in australia for the last six months just got sick of em pretty quick!

20858 Comments

Well, someone had to fill the void whil Dev was away. Those that had money on the 20-1 odds of me being that person would be pleased right now.

Dev will probably 2.5 this & never speak to me again for even mentioning SBTRKT & James Blake.

20858 Comments

Know what you mean Tommy. I think the videos have something to do with that. And I reckon they were quite wise in spacing out their singles as much as they did.

Are these guys even known in The States?

klap
May 1st 2013

"Nowadays, it is so commonplace for musicians to seemingly appear out of nowhere and reach the top of the charts, that the feat itself feels meaningless."

^daveyboy's current life on sputnik

Digging: Charli XCX - Sucker

May 1st 2013

I always appreciate how many related albums you put for each review

20858 Comments

Come on RudyMental, I've always been at the top of the Sputnik charts.

Stop interrupting me Trebor... I'm trying to add more.

StolenIdentity
May 1st 2013

Must listen to this. I really enjoy everything I've heard from them so far.

20858 Comments

Just don't let the style of the singles dictate how you think the rest of the album will be.

That goes just as much for people that don't like the singles, as much as those that do.

Deviant.
May 2nd 2013

You're implying that I'll be listening to this!

Digging: Theo Parrish - American Intelligence

Aids
May 2nd 2013

but look at that rec'd by reviewer section, how can you not!?!?!!!!

Digging: Mitski - bury me at makeout creek

clercqie
May 2nd 2013

Not heard this in full, but based on their live shows I'm guessing this is pretty bad.

Sanders

"smd - satisfy my day"

legitimately thought this meant suck my dick

fish.

22059 Comments

Thought it was gonna be Deviant from the summary

If this had been deviant he wouldn't have made the genre that easily identifiable

Digging: Andy Stott - Faith in Strangers

"smd - satisfy my day"

legitimately thought this meant suck my dick

it does and that's how i meant it, davey is just a true gentleman!

Sanders
May 2nd 2013

on first sight I thought it said smh, which confused matters even more