Imagine Dragons
Night Visions

by Green Baron USER (99 Reviews)
April 29th, 2013 | 29 replies | 3,771 views

Review Summary: A solid first half can't make up for the absolute snooze-fest that is the rest of the album.

2012 was the year that many indie and alternative artists hit it big. It was the year we saw artists such as fun., Gotye, The Lumineers, Of Monsters and Men and Mumford & Sons crack the upper half of the Billboard Hot 100. Among those lucky groups included Imagine Dragons, a four-piece group from Las Vegas. With four solid EPs under their name (including the excellent Continued Silence) and a catchy and infectious first single "It's Time", Imagine Dragons' debut LP Night Visions was highly anticipated.

Sadly, the album was not as good as their previous songs would suggest. Night Visions relies on the quality of their Continued Silence EP, and it shows. The albums best moments are clearly the first four songs, and three of them are from the aforementioned extended play. "Radioactive" opens the album on a strong note, with its heavy uses of dubstep and powerful vocals by Dan Reynolds, while "Tiptoe" lures you in with its addictive synth riff, and is the album's clear highlight. It sounds relatively darker when compared to some of the album's bouncier tracks. Reynolds' vocals also dominate the smash hit "It's Time", along with the mandolin riff, making up for the fact that the lyrics are rather cryptic (what the hell does "giving the commodities a rain check" mean?).

It sucks to see an album with such great potential like this one crash and burn, but for the most part, that's what happens. "On Top of the World" is too cheery and boring to be catchy, and "Amsterdam" clearly rips off "Tiptoe", synth riff and everything, but fails to capture any of its catchiness or emotion. "Fallen" channels stadium rock with its heavy drums and overblown vocals, but isn't catchy at all and just ends up being inane. The only highlight in the second half of the album is the nine-minute "Nothing Left to Say / Rocks", and even that can get a little tedious at times.

With all the passion and emotion that Reynolds brings to the first four tracks, you would expect a solid debut from these Las Vegas alt rockers. Unfortunately, after the first half settles in, the second half is full of boring, repetitive and redundant indie rock garbage that is nowhere near the quality of the first. Beneath all the hand-claps and cheery whistles are layers of stale and recycled ideas, slapped together at the last minute. See ya later, Gonad Migraines. Better luck next time.

Anberlin DevotionNothing More Nothing More
Rise Against The Black MarketBad Suns Language and Perspective
Bomb the Music Industry! To Leave or Die in Long IslandBayside Bayside
2.7
SuaveDino (3.5)
Imagine Dragons have exploded onto the scene with "Night Visions." The band adds an unexpected touc...

teslabarrier (1)
indie trash...

I want to see Jigglypuff fuck the shit out of a Gyarados (2.5)
Repetitive Gimmicky and annoying at times...

SowingSeason STAFF (2.5)
So polished that it slips right in one ear and out the other....

Green Baron
April 29th 2013

I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in an album ever before.

Also, stuck between a 2.5 or a 3. A 2.5 would be because of the lazy second half, but damn, the first
four tracks are just that great.

Digging: Rise Against - The Black Market

April 29th 2013

agreed. I'm glad America wasn't included on this because that track is so much better than anything on here.

Digging: The Avalanches - Since I Left You

NeoSpaz
April 29th 2013

I keep getting told to listen to these guys by my friends but I never got the appeal of it.

Nice review btw.

[i]Night Visions[i]

Might want to clean that up

seriously guys, this rules: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiO2-R8yKjE

Green Baron
April 29th 2013

damn cyg that actually is great.

now i wish they actually did include that on the album. would have made it so much more tolerable.

TheSpirit
April 29th 2013

Everyone is fapping so hard to these guys lately and I feel like I should be too but they are kinda not that great at all.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

Propose
April 29th 2013

every girl loves this band
like band
become girl
???
get pussy?

April 29th 2013

be labeled as "indie rock"
actually be overproduced pop
profit?

Digging: Trophy Scars - Never Born, Never Dead

April 29th 2013

I don't know anyone who would ever call then indie rock when they have always been indie pop. Clear difference. But I'd argue this album was more overproduced alt pop/rock tendencies than their earlier stuff.

imagine fagons

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

April 29th 2013

maybe I'm just dumb with genres but I still think it's just regular pop with a (not significantly) different sound palette

but yeah apparently most people label these guys as "indie alternative rock"

good one lakes

if I could pos your comment I would

April 29th 2013

To be fair, most modern indie pop are just as vapid as most pop or pop punk bands are. Throw In some cheap horns, synths,
or banjos, have some foreign or breathy accent, add in some gang vocals and pseudo-meaningful or charming lyrics. And
now you're all set for you're crappy indie pop bands that the mainstream will just eat up.

lol

April 29th 2013

being hipster is mainstream now guise :P

April 29th 2013

i listen to mumford and sons lol arent i soooo hip

don't even go there...ugh

April 29th 2013

mumford and sons is at the bottom of the barrel stuff

entry level pleb folk

April 29th 2013

it's not even entry level, it's just plain shit level pleb folk