Rishloo
Eidolon

by Nick Mongiardo CONTRIBUTOR (74 Reviews)
April 28th, 2013 | 37 replies | 2,263 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An excellent experience that stayed with me upon my first listen.

For those of you who has never heard of Rishloo, they are a fantastic Progressive Rock band that came from Seattle. They sound like Tool at some points in Eidolon and their vocalist, Andrew Mailloux, sounds a lot like Maynard. However, both bands are extremely talented and they both have qualities that distinguishes themselves from the other band.

Let's talk about why this album is so great. Eidolon has a sense of flow that most albums do not have. Every song is perfectly placed and no song on the album I would ever skip over. Most tracks demonstrate (most notably Eidolon Alpha) exemplary musicianship that is well beyond their years. Guitarist David Gillet, bassist Sean Rydquist and drummer Jesse Smith all show considerable talent that really makes me wonder why that were never discovered by ANYONE. They broke up recently. Frowny face.

The most unique track off of Eidolon, which is preceded by the very ambient opener Prosag, is Freaks and Animals. Oh boy what a song this is. It is the perfect starting track that is a parody of all of the perceptions made by people about the entertainment industry as a whole. It also informs us about the incredible listening experience we are about to have. The lyrics are both send chills down my spine and makes me chuckle at the same time which is hard to do. Andrew's unique vocal delivery is breathtaking as well is the perfect instrumentals accompanying Andrew.

The next notable song is Pandora. It is quite melancholy but that is far from a bad thing. It covers an incredibly thought-provoking view on depression with metaphorical lyrics and a climax in the last minute that you won't soon forget. The same goes for Alchemy Alice but this incredible song suggests that Alice was high. Disco Biscuit seems to be talking about drugs too but there is nothing very imaginative about this song and it is the weakest of the album. Zdzislaw can be about anything you want but it Drew gives a very weak performance towards the end and To Tame The Temporal Shrew does not give the other band members a chance to shine. That said, still listen to these tracks. They are excellent nonetheless.

Then we come to Eidolon Alpha. This track is by far the best on the album. Every band member gives it their all and Drew really shines on this album. His chanting in the beginning is haunting and once again contains an incredible climax. The same can be said for Omega. The closing track is also amazing but the ending of the song is when Drew is at his weakest because wailing just does not fit his voice. The hidden track is also useless.

This album is a must listen to any fans of progressive rock. Seriously, do not pass this gem up. It has very few flaws and I think you will be amazed.

Agalloch The Serpent and the SphereAnberlin Lowborn
Greg Edmonson Uncharted 3: Drake's DeceptionDeftones White Pony
Deftones Around the FurDeftones Adrenaline
Dunpeal (3.5)
Eidolon is a journey. Where that journey takes you is essentially up to you. Although, if the rich g...

Fugue (4)
Eidolon is a grown-up and improved sophomore album from a band quickly maturing into one of the best...

Peridon (4.5)
This is an epic and multi-layered album resulting from the unique and artistic visions of its creato...

Feathergun

Terras Fames

YoYoMancuso
April 27th 2013

nice review man, i don't like this nearly as much as you do but it's solid. First half of this is really good.

Scoot

they sound like tool

Digging: Unjust - Glow

yea

Digging: Ishq - Orchid

Scoot
April 28th 2013

every time i see this album on my ipod i think yeah i could listen to this or i could just listen to tool

April 28th 2013

Before we get down to the basics of this incredible album they have created let's get the obvious out of the way: they sound undeniably like Tool at many points in Eidolon and about 95% of the time their vocalist, Andrew Mailloux, sounds like Maynard.

stopped reading. The only album that's even remotely similar to Tool is the debut, and that's merely because Mailloux sounds like him at a few key points. This and Eidolon are nothing like Tool and Mailloux's voice doesn't sound like Maynard's at all after the debut. God damn.

April 28th 2013

yea Omega sounds nothing like tool

Mongi123
April 28th 2013

This is my first review so I'm open to criticism so feel free. These are my OPINIONS of this album and not fact. And MichaelSnoxall I respect your opinion but you left out the part about how I said that they both have qualities that distinguishes each other from the other.

Dunpeal
April 28th 2013

agreed. Terras Fames is the only album in their discog that can be closely linked to Tool's sound

Mongi123
April 28th 2013

Thought about it a little more and I over exaggerated the Tool part and I still think he sounds like Maynard. Though Maynard is still better than Andrew in my humble opinion

Dunpeal
April 28th 2013

doubt anyone would disagree that maynard is better

if he sounds like maynard to you in this album. who am i to say? for me he really doesn't.

April 28th 2013

he sounds like maynard (in parts) to me too

Curse.
April 28th 2013

He sounds like Maynard more than half the time

TheSpaceMan
April 28th 2013

hes better than maynard more than half the time

April 28th 2013

for me he really only sounds like Maynard at like a few points in Terras Fames and that's about it

TheSpaceMan
April 28th 2013

yeah same, but you still cant deny the influence

April 28th 2013

i mean it's easy to distinguish him (and Rishloo), but Omega is a straight up Tool song idc

Mad.
April 28th 2013

Review is great for a first but you use far too many short sentences which makes it unengaging.

Digging: Dwellers - Pagan Fruit

April 28th 2013

Omega does sound Tool-ish in the guitar work, but not vocally.

April 28th 2013

i'd say he does in the more intense parts. that's usually when he sounds like him anyway.

April 28th 2013

Maynard's more of a crooner and he sounds a bit heavier. Mailloux is too operatic compared to Maynard. In the end I think I like Mailloux more, but then again I'm a massive Rishloo fanboy.