Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin IV

by AchillesLastStand7 USER (1 Reviews)
March 17th, 2006 | 12 replies

Release Date: 1971 | Tracklist

Led Zeppelin IV, the nickname for the Untitled album of Led Zeppelin, which is indicated on the cover as four symbols, one of them looking like the word "Zoso." This is an amazing and popular album, mainly because of "Stairway to Heaven" and "Black Dog," but the album contains much more warm chocolatey goodness. Composed of 8 tracks, because of the popular 8-track players at the time, this album is relatively small, but full of great songs.

1. Black Dog: This is great rock tune here, immediately recognizable by Robert Plant wailing out "Hey, hey, mama, said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove," at the beginning. There's some nice guitar work in here, with a cool riff, and this is just a grooving song that moves along, with plant singing wonderfully, and yes, it is Plant, so there are bound to be alot of Ah's, Oh's, Yeah's, and Baby's. This song finishes out with a groovy guitar solo fading out to the end.
4.5/5

2. Rock and Roll: This is probably the fastest and heaviest song on the album. Another immediately recognizable one, because it starts out with the classic drum riff. Right after that come the powerful guitars, with a rocking riff, and Jones's bassline is groovy, in my opinion. You may know this song from a recent Cadillac commercial featuring it, while the cars are driving around, this song is playing. In comes the piano for the verse as well, which is pretty classy, and the guitar solo is hard to pick up at first, but it's lightning fast and tasty. 4/5

3. The Battle of Evermore: This is a tradition folk song that Led Zeppelin covered, NOT STOLE!! Sandy Denny is in on this song, and sings with Robert Plant, but the other voice parts are sang by John Paul Jones live. John Paul does a great job with the mandolins in here, but the real highlight of the song is Plant and Sandy's wonderful singing.
4/5

4. Stairway to Heaven: This song is regarded as one of the greatest songs in rock history, and it is also the most played song on FM radio to the day. The beginning starts with a beautiful accoustic guitar and than is later accompanied by recorders, and than after, by Plant's singing. The first minute or two is fully accoustic, and slow, and than the song picks up a bit, with the same verses, but with a new section in between ("Oooh, it makes me wonder,"). At 4 or 5 minutes, the song picks up and the drums come in, with a new verse and than after 2 verses, comes the bridge, and finally, an amazing guitar solo. The song builds up in energy, and at the end is fast and intense, and likely to have you totally hooked. The end slows down, and Plant sings the infamous "And she's buying a stairway to heaven..." 5/5

5. Misty Mountain Hop: This is a so-called "Hippie satire", with a groovy keyboard riff, which is joined by guitar, and groove-a-licious singing. Not too much to say about this song, because it needs to be listened to for the full effect, but a great song. 4/5

6. Four Sticks: A very underrated song, with a nice simple guitar riff at the beginning, electric of course, doubled by Jones on the bass. But plant's singing is amazing on this track, and there is also some accoustic guitar. There is a synth bridge later on, which totally hooks you into the song. A rather abtract song, not really about anything, but amazingly groovy. 4.75/5

7. Going to California: A slow, and very beautiful accoustic song. The accoustic guitar is beautiful, and the mandolin work by Jones is truly superb. This is the kind of song that I would want to be my wedding song =). Plant's singing is truly amazing, delivering a powerful message, with a great voice. 4.75/5

8. When The Levee Breaks: An awesome way to close the album. Another Memphis Minnie cover, of course, but an awesome blues song. Page comes in at the beginning with some powerful guitar, and Plant comes in with an awesome harmonica solo. Plant's singing is once again wonderful, with a wonderful story about the levees in New Orleans breaking, and "Goin' to Chicago," because he has lost his home and everything he has. An amazing blues song, and an excellent finish to the album. 4.75/5

tom79
March 18th 2006

Pretty Good for a first review. This is an awesome album. Misty Mountain Hop is one of my favorite Zeppelin songs.
This, Physical Grafitti, and HotH are my fave Zeppelin albums.This Message Edited On 03.18.06

Digging: Business Models - Room

sgrevs
March 18th 2006

Brilliant album, despite being only 8 tracks. 'Black Dog' is such a kick ass song it's rediculous.

Paul13

This album is the shiznit. Rock and Roll kicks ass :D

The Jungler
March 18th 2006

I used to be ubsessed with these guys. Things change though. Not a bad reveiw, you described the tracks fairly well.
In no way is black dog better than rock and roll

JohnXDoesn't
March 18th 2006

Decent first review. And although I am not a big fan of track by track, it is a good place to begin for a new reviewer, and I have one track by track review under my belt as well. As Spat Out said though, this review needs a conclusion. Something in your own words and thoughts to wrap it up. You can always edit one in.

I like this album, although I never listen to it anymore. It was a turning point of sorts for Zep. And also a bit of a return after III. Going To California, Rock n Roll, Misty Mountain Hop, Black Dog, solid tracks, one and all. And When The Levee Breaks is a good closer.This Message Edited On 03.18.06

atheistpeace
March 18th 2006

BLASPHEMY! you stopped listening to this album! its thee zeppelin you cannot get better than the zeppelin in the terms of rock. good review as well. and john your wrong about when the leevee breaks its a great closer.

JohnXDoesn't
March 18th 2006

Gee, I don't think I've ever been scolded for liking an album before.

MidnightRider
March 18th 2006

My 4th favorite Zep album, Going To California is my favorite track.

AxlGrese
March 18th 2006

Kool review i mean ive read a whole load of crap reviews written half the time by guys who don't know jack about the album theyre writing about an even less about actual music but this one sounded like it meant somat Coukld do with less description of the instruments and the song structure an a bit more poetry about the overall sound instaed but your review still kicks ass.
My fav song is obviously Stairway but aside from that i like the Battle Of Evermore i think the vocal tracks are truly fantastic. Dude i agree! You cannot just stop listening to this album its like... the peak of all rock n' roll the eptimome of all music ever! oh an i think three was an ace abulm (of course not as good) its always seemed very folk/bluesy an some of the static acoustic riffs... you just have to get up an move to! all except for Since Ive Been Loving You... ... words can't even describe the guitar. Jimmy Page... what a legend. l8rs

blue3
March 19th 2006

Nice review. I used to listen to this album every day, not anymore though. Rock and Roll is my favorite. Misty Mountain Hop is sweet too.

Two-Headed Boy
March 19th 2006

I agree 100% with SOP. There are a few good songs, but the quality is rather bad. When The Levee Breaks is awesome, though.

Tusk
April 18th 2006

HA JXD, owned. :p

(kidding)

I enjoy this album from time to time, but is by no means my favorite by Zeppelin. I did think they did a great, creative job of fusing together all the styles that they toyed with in I, II, and III.

Too bad Cadillac killed Rock and Roll. I absolutely love When the Levee Breaks.. Black Dog is technically speaking rather neat (start/stop is fun too), and Four Sticks has impressive drumming. Going to Cali isnt exactly bad either. Ill have to agree with SOP that the vocals in this one aren't as impressive as they could be.. The Battle of Evermore, Going to Cali and Stairway being high points.

Your 5 nearly hits the spot.. ill have to sit on this rating for a while. Thanks for an interesting read.