Scorpions
Fly To The Rainbow

by John Marinakis USER (26 Reviews)
April 27th, 2013 | 23 replies | 926 views

Release Date: 1974 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Progressive, ethereal and mystical, Fly To The Rainbow is a superb album and the first collaboration between Uli Roth and Scorpions.

By the time Scorpions had released their debut Lonesome Crow in the early 70’s, they already had 7 years under their belt. Starting as an obscure Pop cover band and with Rudolf Schenker handling both the rhythm guitar and vocal duties, they wasted their first years covering pop songs. Things didn’t start coming together until 1970 when Schenker’s younger brother Michael and vocalist Klaus Meine joined the band. Their debut was released two years later and it was nothing like their forthcoming material would sound. Heavily influenced by Psychedelic Rock and Krautrock and with a little bit of Jazz to add to the mix, Lonesome Crow derived from a band that focused on deep, dark, Sabbath-esque melodies with very few harmonic elements. During their tour, Scorps served as the opening act for a prominent and promising British outfit, UFO. Members of the band witnessed Michael Schenker’s playing and decided to invite him to the squad and acquire his services. Michael’s departure led to the breakup of Scorpions. Shortly afterwards, Rudolf gave a rebirth to the band, keeping only Meine from the previous line up. Jurgen Rosenthal took his place behind the drum kit and Francis Buchholz undertook Bass duties. Uli Roth filled in Michael’s position and the new line up recorded Fly To The Rainbow.

Roth’s arrival marked the beginning of a fruitful period for him and for Scorpions alike. His advent provided the band with potential and a specific character. As for his amazing guitar playing, it can only be said, that with Roth’s contribution the compositions were enriched to the maximum. However, on this album, his songwriting presence was confined due to Michael Schenker’s deal with his former band to “help” them with the songwriting of the new album before he departs. Schenker kept his part of the bargain and wrote three songs. So Fly To The Rainbow is the only Scorpions album featuring those two great guitarists.

As a whole, this album can be scoped as a demonstration of the band’s mixed up influences. Even though they are still in search for a musical identity, it is on this album where Scorps begin slowly to establish their trademark Hard Rock sound while at the same time they abolish their remaining Psychedelic musical remnants. Of course you can still spot some Psychedelic tendencies but the eerie elements are gone for the sake of a much stronger Bluesy Rock ‘N’ Roll vibe. With the opening song the listener is invited to meet the new, revitalised Scorpions: Speedy's Is Coming is a fast and surprisingly straightforward Hard Rocking track and it’s the first and the last moment of this record where the band explore these safe and sound territories. As soon as it ends the listener is fully exposed to the Progressive side of Scorpions. And what a pleasure this side really is. Uli Roth’s style brings much more than any other guitarist who has served this band as a lead guitar player. During those years Roth’s playing style was still based on the Blues and Minor Scales and his approach was somewhat different from the last two albums he recorded with Scorpions. Nevertheless, this depthless, one-dimentional method bestow a sad but beautiful and smooth melody to the songs, instantly conveying multiple emotional eruptions to the listener, which can only be a plus. His exceptional soloing is present in tracks such as: They Need A Million, Drifting Sun, This Is My Song and Far Away. Roth always likes to build some tension by using a combination of a wah pedal and an attack with his tremolo bar, so this specific style is also present here.

Another important aspect of this album are the acoustic parts. You’ll hear a lot of acoustic guitars on this record. From the Spanish-influenced They Need A Million to the nine minutes epic title track, the acoustic guitars share a great deal from the entire record. Rudolf Schenker’s rhythm guitar playing is as solid as it ever was while the synchronization between Rosenthal’s drum beats and Buchholz’s bass lines provide the rest of the group with a durable and steady rhythm section. Klaus Meine has vastly improved his vocals but hasn’t reach yet his full potential.

Despite all the positives, the album leaves the listener with an overall impression that he/she experienced something which is inconclusive or without an identical characteristic. This is mainly because of Michael’s contribution in the songwriting, which is important and flawless but very different compared to Roth’s. The two great guitarists had their share on this album and the only logical conclusion is that things would inevitably get messy because their style was different. In addition, the band was still trying to exorcise some habits of the past. So it makes sense as to why this album lacks character and it doesn't have a specific direction. But don’t let yourself down by this clue, Fly To The Rainbow is an excellent album, an important documentation of Scorpions’s on going global domination and a must-have for every fan of 70’s Hard Rock. The band displayed only sheer improvement with the following year’s In Trance.

Recommended tracks:

Windhand SomaWindhand Windhand
Candlemass Candlemass - LiveCandlemass Tales Of Creation
Avatarium AvatariumScorpions Blackout
Daniel Dias (5)
Uli Jon Roth makes his stand....

DLT (4.5)
"Fly To The Rainbow" is a terrific CD by Scorpions. This is a record that is more tie-dye than lea...

April 27th 2013

Glad i'm back to Greece and back to reviewing. I had 9 months since i last wrote a review and this was
really tough. I can only hope I didn't fuck it
up. Of course i'm open to any constructive criticism.

April 27th 2013

I wrote this review because I felt the other one is a little bit inconclusive and it is almost a tbt
review.

More Scorpions reviews will follow.

RunOfTheMill

OH YES LOOK WHO'S BACK IN THE GAME

TheNotrap

Welcome back Rock.
Good work, have a pos.

Digging: Savage Grace - Master Of Disguise

RunOfTheMill
April 27th 2013

Heheh, you're a bit rusty, but you'll get back into it soon enough. This is a better review than the other one, more descriptive and gives us a good impression - and for that I'm pos'ing - but it's disorganised.

This Is My Song has a fucking incredible bass line. Rosenthal is an incredible drummer. And Roth is just orgasmic on this album.

demigod!
April 27th 2013

decent review. Always wanted to check out some older Scorpions stuff.

Digging: Failure - Magnified

April 27th 2013

"Heheh, you're a bit rusty, but you'll get back into it soon enough."

Yeah you can tell. Hopefully, I will return to my old form.
My English are tremendously deteriorated.

"Welcome back Rock.
Good work, have a pos."

Thanks pal. How are you holding ?

@demigod93
Then don't waste any more time demi.

Mad.
April 27th 2013

I must say, you have the most original user name I've ever seen.

Digging: Anubis - Hitchhiking to Byzantium

20270 Comments

Holy shit, welcome back dude.

Will read the review in the morning as I'm really tired now and about to go to sleep.

@Madcreator
Thanks...

@JamieTwort
Ok then Jamie. Goodnight pal. I'm also going to bed in half an hour or so...

Voivod

Καλωσήρθες φίλος :-)

Welcome back to the home land, my friend.

Will read the review later.

Digging: Lisa Gerrard - Twilight Kingdom

manosg
April 28th 2013

Excellent album with a weird cover I may add. Nice review too, pos.

Just a couple of things:

"By the time Scorpions had release..."
By the time Scorpions had released

"...was released two years latter..."
was released two years later

"...Speed Is Coming..."
Speedy's Coming

Digging: Anacrusis - Manic Impressions

DrHouseSchuldiner
April 28th 2013

Nice album altho not my fav from them ,pos'd.

Nice review, pos'd.

Agreed hard. Phenomenal guitarist.

The band displayed only sheer improvement with the following year’s In Trance.

Agree with this too. In Trance is pretty much level with Taken by Force as my favourite Scorpions album.

@manosg
Thanks dude I will make some of these corrections asap. I think "release" in the first sentence is
correct btw.

@DrHouseSchuldiner
Thanks Dr.

@JamieTwort
Then you'll be glad to know that my next review will be "Taken By Force".

20270 Comments

I think "release" in the first sentence is correct btw.

manosg's right it should be released as it's past tense.

Then you'll be glad to know that my next review will be "Taken By Force".

Sweet, looking forward to it.

Oops I forgot to pos.

pos'd now.

April 28th 2013

"manosg's right it shoud be released as it's past tense."

Done, thanks guys.

Antonius
May 28th 2013

Nice review patrida. Well said and pos'd for that. However, I don't think I would agree on your rating about this as I tend to like their latest albums more. Anyway I will re-dig Scorpions and give my ratings. I'll keep an eye on your other reviews as well

Digging: Blues Pills - Blues Pills