Immoralist
Widow

good

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
April 27th, 2013 | 47 replies

Release Date: 04/23/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: “Widow” is a generic metalcore chug fest, but it can potentially hit the spot when you’re depressed or feel like punching holes in walls.

Immoralist is a metalcore band with a penchant for simple, heavy riffs, and of course breakdowns. In fact, the entirety of Widow feels like one large breakdown – expect the EP to feel incredibly slow paced. The album trudges along as though the band is carrying the heaviest weight in the world, which actually makes sense in the context of their emotional display. They’re really ***ing mad and they want you to feel it. Every riff carries immense weight like smashing a battle-axe into human flesh. The cymbals aren’t loud enough in the mix, but the album is all about those crushing riffs and the almost inhuman growls that accompany. I couldn’t help but laugh at the band’s overly dramatic display at first, but then the album clicked. Maybe it’s because I’ve been depressed lately and feeling crummy, but theoretical explanation aside, I totally dug the album.

To be fair (putting on my imaginary critic glasses), Immoralist is a dime a dozen, generic metalcore band without a creative bone in their body. Breakdowns are played out to the bone because of bands like Immoralist that refuse to go against the grain. Breakdowns aren’t essential to display anger, so why they have turned into an obligatory method of communication for some metalcore bands is beyond me. Regardless, Immoralist has jumped on the bandwagon eagerly, intentionally abusing the crap out of breakdowns, so whether you enjoy Widow will have a lot to do with how many you can stomach.

In the end, Widow is an album for those that like their metalcore breakdown laden, and brutal as ***. Normally I would rate such an EP a 2.5/5 easy, but Immoralists’ effective anger bumps this a .5 for me. If you’re looking for your next jam while road ragin’ or killing puppies, Widow just might fit the bill.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex
3.3

NocteDominum
April 27th 2013

No puppies were killed or maimed in the making of this review.

FrozenVain
April 27th 2013

Very entertaining review, Pizza. Will stay away from this since I get my daily does of anger from Immolation.

are you sure? ;)

Entertaining really? Thanks bro.

Insurrection
April 27th 2013

"“Widow” is a generic metalcore chug fest"

ill be staying far away from this. good review

Digging: Todd Terje - It's Album Time

MikeC26
April 27th 2013

I thought you were all about the junz ins?

Insurrection
April 27th 2013

nah only if they have a boy band vocalist

theacademy

if pizzamachine 3's it im probably gonna really like it lol

Digging: Charli XCX - Sucker

April 27th 2013

lol probs, here's the link:

20162 Comments

Good review mang might check out of curiosity I like the album art

Digging: Johann Sebastian Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D major, BWV 1050

Omaha
April 27th 2013

Yeah, that babe's pretty hawt

Digging: Thou - Heathen

lmao

April 27th 2013

What SNES game is that Atari?

Clayfighter 2 ;)

emulator time!

20162 Comments

niice i'm assuming you've played it then? andcas actually reminded me of it the other night used to love playing it with my younger brother back in the day. actually gonna make a SNES favorites list soon for funsies

April 27th 2013

I never played it until now. I chose Frosty, evil snowmen are hilarious. This game is crazy! SNES favorites list is a great idea, SNES was the shit when I was a kid.

20162 Comments

damn man another underground classic is joe and mac check it out

Clayfighter on the N64 was so bad

Digging: Friendzone - Collection 1

20162 Comments

yeah but the SNES ones were pretty damn sweet.

nice rev