Perhaps
Volume One

by Cultclassical USER (51 Reviews)
April 27th, 2013 | 14 replies | 1,096 views

Review Summary: perhaps "perhaps" are on to something here?

Volume One is a massive, epic 30 minute song (hence the format of this review) which artfully blends post-rock, math-rock, and progressive/indie rock into a beautifully paced, raw stream of sound. Quite a unique endeavor for a band’s first release no doubt, but the razor sharp skill displayed here is comparable to a band three records in their career and starting to experiment. Not once through this song does the intensity let up for the inclusion of long, boring drone segments or slow-burning interludes leading to the inevitable bombastic crescendo we’ve heard so much of in the past. When the song lets up, its mathy-core never dissipates, utilizing punctuated bouts of silence to great effect in some places and the staccato guitar riffs math rock is known for just as well in others. There are a plethora of other instruments used in the many acts of this song as well. A dizzying swirl of saxophone, guitar, drums, and strings greet you at one point and before you know it, it feels like you’re listening to Plan B from A Lot Like Birds the next. This song is the definition of epic. Relentless in its delivery until the psychedelic slow portions draw you in even further up to the fantastic conclusion which sounds like a rock infected climactic ending to a Darren Aronofsky film. This song has something for all fans of progressive music and while it’s obviously best taken all at once, and with food, once you do for the first time you’ll realize that you’ve discovered the perfect soundtrack to your 20-30 minute drive to work.

Follow The White Rabbit EndorphiniaThrice The Alchemy Index Vol. II: Water
He Is Legend Heavy FruitWeird Al Yankovic Mandatory Fun
Kashiwa Daisuke/Koby Israelite SplitCasey Crescenzo Amour and Attrition
recommended by reviewer
A Lot Like Birds Plan B

April 26th 2013

This is my "accepting I'll never make contributor cuz I'm not popular enough" review. Hope it convinces you to listen.

It's free so there's no reason not to....no reason at all.

Digging: Jizue - Shiori

FiveLeavesLeft

Very nice, concise review. Perhaps I should check this out

huehuehuehue

lol

huehuehuehue.

April 26th 2013

nice review bro Pos'd, gonna shek

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

thanks capt!

just fyi this isn't m/ at all but you should still shek.

19734 Comments

Review rules. I've actually really been digging prog lately sounds cool, pos

Digging: Darkspace - Dark Space III I

atari.

you da man.

19734 Comments

Don't u forget it! Seriously though I've been telling everybody this but check out black widow. their self titled album has flutes and saxophones as well as organs and it fucking rules. And I'll check this out later tonight ;)

Epicenter

Yeah, this rules.

jamming now as promised.

dat sax

wacknizzle
April 27th 2013

Nice write up, sounds interesting. Gonna check this soon.

Digging: Ritual Mess - Vile Art

sideburndude

this seems pre swee

dood, it is.

Gard3n
July 21st 2013

People really need to hear this. The final section of the song is simply mindblowing.