SOJA
Strength To Survive

by Rastapunk USER (28 Reviews)
April 23rd, 2013 | 7 replies | 1,497 views

Review Summary: SOJA's weakest album to date, but far from a miss!

Even asleep, mentality's awake. / Nobody realizes how much we can take. / Let's save the future of the world for our sake.

Born in 1997, Soldier Of Jah Army (SOJA) went on to become one of today's big reggae band. Caracterized by Jacob Hemphill's voice and great musicians, SOJA created a unique sound that brought them to Worlwide recognition with albums like Get Wiser and Born In Babylon. Strength To Survive is their eighth record, released in 2012.

As a whole, the band on this album definitely sounds more united than previous albums, which is the strength and also the weakness of this record. It works well on songs like "Mentality" but stays too much on a comfort zone on "Everything Changes". The band decided to go for a Pop-Reggae sound and wandered away from their Reggae origins which will disappoint long time fans. Radio friendly songs like the ballad "Don't Worry" are predictable and are pretty bland and makes this album pretty boring after a few songs.

It's on songs like "It's Not Too Late" that SOJA shines with a straight up roots reggae backed up by an omnipresent bass line. One thing's for sure, this albums has politically engaged lyrics, with a message of hope and love for today's World. Talking about relationships, morals and politics, Jacob Hemphis always has a nice way to put words in a sing-along friendly way. You'll only need a few listen to be able to sing most of the songs.

The general atmosphere is surprisingly very somber compared to the lyrics that are usually very upbringing. One good example would be "Don't Worry", a song of hope backed by a depressing reggae instrumental. Brass instruments that used to emphasize the rhythm during the chorus on previous records are almost completely gone, either replaced by electronic effects or simply absent.

SOJA didn't produce the best album of their career but this isn't a miss nonetheless. The band is changing it's sound, that's for sure, becoming a little more radio friendly. Although this might add more audience to the Reggae World, fans will probably be disappointed by this, as SOJA were known for their roots sound.

And I'll task, in the west in the years to come / Does the dollar really matter when our whole world is gone? / Worry about yourself, while the world stills turns / Waiting until we watch it burn

Groundation Hebron GateKiller Be Killed Killer Be Killed
Butcher Babies GoliathHigh Tone Ekphrön
Aswad AswadBob Marley and The Wailers Survival
recommended by reviewer
SOJA Born In Babylon
SOJA Get Wiser

April 23rd 2013

Wasn't feeling this one very much, comments appreciated .

April 23rd 2013

don't agree with the rating but good review

it does sound a bit more radio friendly but I honestly have no problem with that it's not like they were an inaccessible in the first place.
It also sounds different from other records and imo that's an achievement on its own they could have just went with the sound they had on born in babylon but they experimented more

maybe you should give it another spin this album is at least a 3

Treeman

THOUGH BABYLON RAGE I-AND-I WILL STRIVE UNTIL THE END OF MY DAYS

not the same album but I love this band, i think my rating for this is somewhere around a 3-3.5 though. definitely not as enjoyable as their other albums.

April 24th 2013

Actually I gave it a few more spins while writing this review.

It just doesn't do it for me, some songs are good (but no more) and others are either poor (because I hate the radio friendly sound) or just boring. I can't tell myself this is a good album but it's not a poor one too so average it is .

April 24th 2013

yeah man opinions, still it was cool that you wrote the review thanks bro

April 24th 2013

Yeah no problem, I might do some reggae reviews for a while, sputnik NEEDS some reggae love!