Dr. Bombay
Rice & Curry

2.0
poor

by McStrongarm USER (8 Reviews)
April 23rd, 2013 | 2 replies | 527 views

Release Date: 01/01/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Bubblegum pop that's only a tad bit racist.

What happens if you take India, record labels and a swedish guy who's desperate for some attention. You get Dr. Bombay.

Once you pop Rice & Curry (that name) into your cd player. You know this is going to be something special. The whole thing starts of with, for us who are familiar with the singles: SOS and Calcutta (these songs share the same song melody in the chorus by the way), a pretty chocking intro. Made up of ambient sounds with a little Indian spice. "Hmm, this oughta be good" you think. Way off!!!

After the intro the eurodisco/bubblegum-pop brings it full on with the real album opener Dr. Boom-Bombay. The first thought that comes to mind is. Is this guy on speed? Well... Probably. He goes at the keyboard as a mad mother***er slapping those white thingies as they where flies in his eyes. This goes on without mercy for the whole album. There is not a single track who breaks the formula of: "spaced-and-speeded-out-keyboard-and-the-same-indian-scale-sound".

Another pretty great aspect of this record is the lyrics. Sung with an indian accent displaying Inidia as a third world country where people often get eaten by tigers and can't drive cars. The song Holabaloo (which I especially recommend) is about the touchy subject elephant racing and elephants dancing.

So are you feeling racist, dancy, or you're on speed. This is the album for you.