Fallujah
Nomadic

by SlMBOLlC USER (15 Reviews)
April 21st, 2013 | 294 replies

Release Date: 04/02/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A logical progression for Fallujah, one hinting to greater heights to follow

“Nomadic” is a land mark release for Fallujah. It shows them adding emotion and maturity to the technical side of their music; resulting in an EP that shows the future is bright for the young band. The modern technical death metal scene has not exactly been thriving lately; due to a host of all too similar bands that focused more on how many sweeps they could in three minutes than crafting well made songs. With “Nomadic”, Fallujah not only show their instrumental skills, but display solid song-writing skills and maturity uncommon within the genre.

The progression in this release flows extremely well, with the various alternations in musical style always feeling as if they belong exactly where they are. This helps to avoid the feeling that they are progressing for progressions sake (better known as “wankery”), a common criticism of many modern progressive bands. Opener “The Dead Sea” is the perfect song to display the mature progression; showcasing seamless transitions frenetic instrumentation and well calculated atmosphere. The following track “silent” is a nice, yet somewhat unnecessary interlude that would be more suited to a full-length rather than a three track EP. Closer Venom Upon the Blade exhibited many of the same traits as “The Dead Sea”, albeit at a mostly slower pace that’s main focus is to build up to the excellent crescendo.

Instrumentally is where Fallujah truly shine, with guitarist Scott Cairstairs providing solid riffs and smart leads in equal measure. Surprisingly audible bassist Rob Morey holds his own against the intensity propagated by Carstairs and acts as an excellent compliment. Drummer Andrew Baird gives a mostly excellent performance of endurance and speed, coupled with the grooves in the slower sections that results in a very solid and mostly varied performance.

However despite the numerous strengths shown by Fallujah throughout “Nomadic”, there remains room for improvement. Whilst the drummer is evidently very skilled, his triggered double bass can be somewhat overused and grating because of how often it is used. Vocalist Alex Hoffman, despite being a more than capable at his role, lacks definitive range and variation in his delivery. This can lead to his vocals sounding a little bit stale, however the fact that there are only two tracks containing his vocals prevents this from becoming too much of a problem. The aforementioned instrumental track “Silent”, whilst being a good track, feels out of place and unneeded on such a short release. Lastly, and possibly the biggest setback, is despite all the emotion and effort Fallujah put into Nomadic, the overpopulation of the scene means we’ve heard a lot of it before (although rarely as well executed).

Regardless of the somewhat minor setbacks, “Nomadic” remains an excellent technical/progressive death metal release that shows there may be a very bright future for Fallujah. The combination of technicality, well structured songs and emotional input shows the potential this band possesses. This is Fallujah finding their niche within the scene, standing well above the majority of their peers.

4.1/5

Morbid Saint Spectrum of DeathAversions Crown Servitude
Carach Angren Where The Corpses Sink ForeverCryptopsy Whisper Supremacy
Rings of Saturn DingirThe Beatles Rubber Soul

April 21st 2013

rating probably would've been higher if ther was another actual song instead of "silent"

watcha guys think?

tempest--
April 21st 2013

Pos'd, nice review man. Could use some punctuation here and there, but overly well written and an enjoyable read! :-]

I can't see this being as good as its rating, but I guess I'll know when I hear it.

Calc
April 21st 2013

There's a couple mistakes but this isn't awful. I liked this ep as well just not as much as you did I guess.

Digging: Milo - A Toothpaste Suburb

Vakarian12
April 21st 2013

ye sweet review sim. pos'd

yeh i think 4.3 is a bit rich but its still a real good ep

Don't see how what is effectively a 2-song EP warrants a 4.3 average lol

The two actual songs are brilliant though, definitely looking forward their next full length. Didn't read the review but pos anyway.

Digging: Off Minor - The Heat Death of the Universe

April 21st 2013

I actually read the review and it was good, so I shall not give a meaningless pos and rather a pos that has purpose because I read the review and deemed it good. Unlike some people who pos without any real meaning, because a pos means nothing if the person didn't even bother to read the review. Keep writing, Sim.

Insurrection
April 21st 2013

didnt read but good rev prob pos'd

Digging: Aspherium - The Fall of Therenia

April 21st 2013

lol, I skimmed through it, and Sim's normally pretty switched on, so consider it a pos in advance.

April 21st 2013

that's like telling an artist their painting's good without you ever looking at it. It's disrespectful.

April 21st 2013

You're right I'm sure Sim's totally offended now that I skimmed his review then said it was good. I'm sure he won't take it as a simple gesture because I like him as a user. He must be seething with rage over that disingenuous pos.

so mad

Calc

ugh I'll do it then.

"one hinting to greater heights to follow"

hinting at* greater things

"many sweeps they could in three minutes"

sweeps they could punch?/kill?/do?/eat?/ in three minutes

track “silent”

capitalize this.

April 21st 2013

On a scale of 1 to Michael Snoxall how upset are you with the world, Sim?

April 21st 2013

not really the point I was making at all, but whateva

April 21st 2013

On a scale of 1 to Michael Snoxall how upset are you with the world, Sim?

im not upset with the world at all, I just believe in giving somebody credit with actual merit, rather than just doing it because I like them. See, Calc read it and gave constructive feedback. You pos'd, just 'cause. Which isn't really respectful. I never said it would offend him, or make him angry, I just said it was a disrespectful gesture, even if it was well-intended.

Insurrection
April 21st 2013

a pos is a sign of respect. writing an asinine paragraph about a "purposeful pos" (what?) and not even giving critiques or
helpful feedback is not only disrespectful but a waste of space. space that could be used for others to pos and have
something hopefully more useful to say than yourself

anyway now i have read the review and its very good. purposeful pos

cheers calc

im definitely at least a t Andcas level tbh

April 21st 2013

"a pos is a sign of respect."

No, it's a sign of credit. You don't see that a band released an album and go "oh yeah guys great album, I didn't listen to it but I'm sure it's great", you listen to the album and then give them credit. You can't give something false kudos if you never even bothered to give it the time of day.

April 21st 2013

I've been reading the review during the whole kerfuffle and thus my pos is now purposeful. Keep
m/m/m/ing Sim!