Alkaline Trio
My Shame Is True

by Iain Galbraith USER (4 Reviews)
April 17th, 2013 | 20 replies

Release Date: 04/02/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Alkaline Trio rediscover their fire...

Since practically the start of their career Alkaline Trio have operated using the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy when approaching new albums, playing 3 chord punk with a sinister edge (lyrically at least). The problem is not so much that their style is broken so much as over the years and numerous albums it has become slightly stale. This Addiction and Agony & Irony were enjoyable enough but it felt like the band were on auto-pilot. Something needed to be done.

So we arrive at My Shame Is True, the trio's ninth studio album, supposedly dealing with Matt Skiba's recent breakup (that's the ex girlfriend on the cover). This LP turns out is not so much a reinvention but rather a rediscovery of what made them great on albums such as Goddamnit or From Here to Infirmary. For the first time in years Alkaline Trio sound invigorated and excited to be playing. Their sound remains much the same and lyrically nothing much has changed, Matt Skiba sticks to his themes of death, bitterness, loneliness and drugs/drink. However, on My Shame Is True he sounds much more open and vulnerable than on previous efforts which allows these well worn themes to sound fresh and new. Opener She Lied to the FBI is perhaps the best pop-punk song Skiba has ever written. Short and snappy with driving guitar and some wonderful drum work from Derek Grant. Elsewhere, The Temptation of St Anthony shows the lyrical return to form:
"My tender carrion.
The damage has been done,
From the depths of your heart,
To the tip of my tongue."
The song is filled with wonderfully dark imagery that extends to the title of the track and should serve as a reminder to fans why they fell in love with this band.

Despite the questionably quality of previous albums one thing has never changed regarding Alkaline Trio, Dan Adriano's songs will be highlights of the album and this LP is no different. This time around Dan gets four tracks to display his talents and unsurprisingly they are four of the best songs on the album. Album standout Only Love is a punk ballad filled with bitterness ("I hear that the telephone works both ways, think you can make a little effort some day?") that is one of Dan's best songs to date. Young Lovers is another standout with Dan attempting to convince his would-be lover to give herself up to him.

After 15 years in the music industry Alkaline Trio have managed to craft their catchiest LP in a long time (and make no mistake Skiba can write a catchy hook, check out I Wanna Be a Warhol) whilst also retaining their punk edge and black lyrical style. My Shame Is True is Alkaline Trio doing what they do best and having fun whilst doing it and there's no shame in that.

Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (3)
How young are you gonna be when you die? / I guess I never really thought about that / You're dying ...

Crawl

album is meh.

April 17th 2013

I like Agony and Irony better because at least they tried something new, plus it has I Found Away

Digging: Viper the Rapper - You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack

Storm In A Teacup

This could actually grow on me, but I already like it quite a bit. 3.4

Yzerwine
April 18th 2013

nice review, better album than I thought it would be

20857 Comments

It may not match up to their best, but Alkaline Trio's 8th studio LP 'My Shame Is True' is a step up from predecessor 'This Addiction'. Assisted by producer Bill Stevenson, the veteran punk-rock trio from Chicago deliver yet another tight & consistent set of tunes. As catchy as ever & a little more personal than usual, this album doesn't reinvent the wheel, but should satisfy both old & new fans. It's just a shame that Dan Andriano gets short-changed again with only 4 of the 12 tracks; his 3 songs from the 'Broken Wing' EP mysteriously excluded here. Recommended Tracks: One Last Dance, The Torture Doctor, I Wanna Be A Warhol & I'm Only Here To Disappoint.

May 24th 2013

" it could have been better had they included 2-3 songs from the simultaneously released 'Broken Wing' EP."

Agreed, if "Kiss You To Death" and "The Torture Doctor" had been removed and some songs from Broken Wing had been put in their place, this would be much better. But then, lack of Dan songs has always been the problem with Trio albums.

20857 Comments

I actually think 'The Torture Doctor' is one of the best songs here. But this is one of those albums where if you get 10 people in a room & ask them what their favourite song is, you may very well get 7 or 8 different answers. I've seen many songs (especially the closer and/or 'Midnight Blue') listed as both the best & worst song on the LP by separate reviewers.

May 24th 2013

Fair enough, The Torture Doctor just doesn't do much for me. I don't think Midnight Blue and the closer are especially brilliant either.

I Found Away is such a great track

Digging: Chris Brown - X

STAY RIGHT HERE I'LL BE BACK FOR YOU SOMEDAY, I FOUND AWAAAAAYYYY

IT BE BEST IF YOU JUST STAYED... ITS NOT SAFE... DON'T FOLLOW ME

FLY OFF THE HANDLE EVERY TIME WE SPEAK

May 24th 2013

I really, really don't understand the hate for Agony & Irony. Even with one of their weakest tracks (Live Young, Die Fast), I still think it's in the Top 3 of their records.

May 24th 2013

idk about top 3 but it's much better than This Addiction.

This Addiction was awfullll

May 24th 2013

Awful, really? I didn't love it, but it had some fantastic tracks. Fine especially.

May 24th 2013

it wasnt anarchy my dear awful but it sure was 'damn why did i preorder this shit' awful

May 24th 2013

Hmm, I don't regret buying it at all. But opinions and shit.

May 24th 2013

agred. i hate opinions. both mine + every1s.

20857 Comments

I agree that 'Agony & Irony' is hated on way too much... But I think 'Crimson' is their best, so what do I know!

May 24th 2013

Yeah they should die ikr