Turnover
Turnover

by Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (109 Reviews)
April 13th, 2013 | 58 replies | 3,153 views

Review Summary: We’ll laugh ‘til dawn about the shit we did and sleep the day away tomorrow, dream of doing it again.

When I listen to a band like Turnover I am instantly taken back to a happier time in my life. Don’t get me wrong, growing older definitely has its moments, but it just can’t compare to the feeling of being young and foolish. Who can forget staying up way too late with their friends and making stupid, yet memorable decisions? It’s safe to say many of our best memories are hidden away in our youthful past and Turnover’s Self Titled EP manages to resurrect those moments with flair.

The EP’s standout tracks ‘Sleepless Nights’ and 'Time’ do a nice job of making the listener feel young again with their highly nostalgic lyrics. The vocalist is above average for the genre and he sounds better than ever on ‘Sleepless Nights’ as he lets out his most emotional vocal performance on the album over the song’s bouncy guitar-work and fast-paced drums. His vocals are sure to please fans of The Dangerous Summer or The Starting Line but are filled with more aggression. The rest of the songs are nearly as impressive and full of energy as the band never seem to slow things down throughout the EP. They hook the listener in with the upbeat opening track ‘Sasha’ and don’t let up on the momentum until the album’s final note.

Essentially, this EP is nothing more than 5 pop punk tunes that make for great springtime music. However, the relatable lyricism and tight musicianship is the reason this EP packs that extra little punch. Whether you’re still young and making the best out of your teenage years or you’re becoming an old fart like me, there’s a lot of enjoyment to be had in the album’s short but impressive 5 tracks. Those days might be gone but memories won’t fade. I still remember every second in my head like yesterday.

The Residents EskimoTrvth Approaching
Agalloch The Serpent and the SphereThe Byrds Mr. Tambourine Man
Somos Temple of PlentyFireworks Oh, Common Life

Magnolia

SadAndHolyGlow
April 12th 2013

Short and sweet, but to the point. Pos'd.

lol that was fast.

thanks man yeah a short review for a short EP : ) I like this much better than the new album and it needed a review.

link to sleepless nights..

April 12th 2013

This is much more of a fall and summer type album than a spring one, Atari, you silly goose.

19674 Comments

idk man that opening track screams springtime but i suppose the album would be great for the summer/fall as well ;)

April 12th 2013

Yeah, Time and Solitude are such summer/fall tracks. Sasha is more springy than the rest, it's less of a crooning style.

spring/summer/fall/winter whatever it is it's fucking good :3

April 12th 2013

No way this is winter music.

Also, I actually kinda hate Sleepless Nights.

of course you do lol

Why do you say that?

JackSparrow
April 12th 2013

Pos'd hard, this album is fantastic I can listen to it over and over. Haven't heard their newest

Cause you're cyg lol

Thanks jacksparrow

So :'[

This band makes me feel old.

April 12th 2013

sweet review dude, I love this style of reviewing, pos'd hard

and you're getting up there in numberz

19674 Comments

Thanks captain appreciate it as always :]

m/

Calc
April 12th 2013

"growing older definitely has its moments, but it just can’t compare to the feeling of being young and foolish"

i respectfully disagree

Digging: Jizue - Shiori

19674 Comments

Lol I just miss being young when I listen to this stuff.

April 12th 2013

"Lol cyg I'm just saying we often have different opinions then we agree on this band but u have to dislike my favorite song :P"

D: I don't like Sleepless Nights because the chorus/outro pisses me off, and in general, it's a worse version of the 3 preceding songs.

19674 Comments

I disagree it's the best song IMO but time and solitude and the opening track rule too so basically the whole EP lol