Emery
The Weak's End

by Ian USER (106 Reviews)
April 10th, 2013 | 27 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A strong willed band creates a captivating debut with beautifully soaring vocals and song writing.

Emery touched me consensually at age fifteen by possessing high tempo ambient sections, exciting breakdowns, but most interestingly an exceptionally talented trio of up n' coming vocalists. Needless to say, my angsty ass was hooked right away. To be able to look at Emery from the beginning after nearly a decade is to be blown away in a humbling fashion by the high quality of song-writing.

The Weak's End is one of the best debuts for what is primarily a post-hardcore band. It is extremely consistent without the need for over-production and sets solid groundwork for the future. Each song features a youthful innocence that is quite rare to actually capture in the studio. Often they tone down their heavier influences and, as mentioned, display that stunning knack for solid song-writing structures, but there are plenty of spastic head banging segments throughout. The soaring clean vocal duets will beg for attention, however in moments a gleeful yet throttling scream could rattle through the speakers, easily catching first time listeners off guard.

Making atmospheric songs is one of Emery's best strengths, but it's easy to notice there isn't an abundance of keyboard/programming. They have so many niche's working for them, yet at the same time all of those influences manage to cohesively mesh. In turn, all the talent displayed throughout The Weak's End helps the band flourish above getting labeled into any one particular musical movement. Pretty impressive for a bunch of country boys who were willing to take risks to have a career in music. That strong will certainly ended up shining through on this debut. The weak end of this band obviously hadn't arrived yet in 2004 because this album is an emotionally unique up and down experience to be had that I know will definitely be worth investing a decade in.

Z-Ro CocainePapa Roach Old Friends from Young Years
Linkin Park Living ThingsKrizz Kaliko Kickin' and Screamin'
Madina Lake From Them, Through Us, To YouBrand New The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
Alex Trinkner CONTRIBUTOR (4.5)
Are You Listening?...

Understanding In a Crash (4)

ddnyy11188 (4)

April 10th 2013

This is dedicated to Dr. Luke Sarazine.

I really wanted to be concise with this one, but tried writing it as best as I could.

Didn't talk about the lyrics but that's for us in the e/ club to know about and is the surprise for those who will check this out in the future.

NeoSpaz

Nice one Storm, pos'd

April 10th 2013

Where's that pos again? lol thanks

NeoSpaz
April 10th 2013

oh shit, i'm spaced out right now, sorry man posing now

joshieboy12345
April 10th 2013

Pos'd. Haven't listened to this for so long.

Haha @ neo

Thx guys!

20063 Comments

nice to see a review from you man. pos'd hard. Walls is such a jam

Digging: Trophy Eyes - Mend, Move On

heyadam

Pos. Awesome album

Digging: Casey Crescenzo - Amour and Attrition

Ecnalzen
April 10th 2013

I don't think I have ever read a Stormy Teacup review. Nice.

Bloodless is my favorite from this.

20063 Comments

one thing i thought was interesting about the review is how you didn't mention any specific tracks. (not saying it's a bad thing i just don't think i've ever done that). It's cool how you were able to do that ...just describe the album as a whole rather than pointing out different songs. might have to try this actually ;)

omnipanzer

Nice blurb, bad album

your score is showing

April 10th 2013

Yeah Atari it didn't start that way, but I realize now the direction with writing I want to take and stay with. It was tough not talking about By All Accounts (Today Was A Mistake) tho. It almost made the cut.

Thanks ya'll I do appreciate it!

April 10th 2013

It's a review I'd like to think lol

joshieboy12345
April 10th 2013

A bit short, but still a good review.

April 10th 2013

I figure it caters to the more ADD readers lol

April 11th 2013

Band is one of my favourites

Digging: The Birthday Massacre - Superstition

April 11th 2013

I imagine they'll stay one of my top 15 bands for life.

April 11th 2013

Same here. But tbh, I thought their latest album was a bit disappointing. And it's a damn shame one of the vocalists is gone.

April 11th 2013

I feel the same way. It has good songs, but the album doesn't flow and there are some real snoozers. Every other Emery album flows like rivers.