Fall Out Boy
Save Rock and Roll

2.0
poor

by taxidermist USER (16 Reviews)
April 9th, 2013 | 30 replies

Release Date: 04/16/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's important to note that on Save Rock and Roll, Fall Out Boy are doing anything but that.

For the last three years, Fall Out Boy have been on indefinite hiatus, but in all honesty that isn’t very long. Most bands often tend to go on hiatus for longer periods of time. Regardless of the length of time a band chooses to go on hiatus for, fans around the world rejoiced when Fall Out Boy decided to pick up their instruments and start making music as a band again. If the band reuniting wasn’t enough to get fans riled up, the announcement of their new album, Save Rock and Roll was. With an album name like that, I’d say it’s easy for a fan of the band to get pretty excited. One can only envision and express a generous amount of excitement for the music that the band will produce on the album So, now that the Save Rock and Roll is finally here, what has Fall Out Boy been up to the last few years since Folie a Deux? Writing pop music, apparently.

It’s important to note that on Save Rock and Roll, Fall Out Boy are doing anything but that. Instead of returning to form and being the Fall Out Boy that people know and love, the band completely shifts their sound into a very accessible mainstream pop record. This change however, will not be very welcome from fans who have followed Fall Out Boy throughout the years. If you're an avid listener of music that is on the radio, then this album is for you. From opening track, “The Phoenix,“ to the closer, “Save Rock and Roll,” the album is a mess. Brimming with an array of electronics, the album is anything but rock and roll with its absence of catchy guitar hooks and sing-along choruses. A return to form might have been the best thing for Fall Out Boy to do on this album instead of suffering through an identity crisis and alienating their fanbase further. It is a shame that the band have decided to go this route with the music they make, because they have proven before that they can garner a lot of attention making catchy, mainstream pop-punk records.

Now, a change in sound will certainly divide their fanbase, and of course people will argue that the new Fall Out Boy are just evolving and trying to progress their sound. However, besides a few catchy tracks, it’s not even ‘good’ pop for the most part. It’s mostly standard radio pop that most people will listen to a couple of times and then forget about. Sure, it has its big features like Big Sean and Elton John, but none of the tracks mentioned are executed well. Big Sean’s verse in “The Mighty Fall” is so annoying and brainless that it manages to ruin the song with lines like “hell yeah I’m a dick girl, addicted to you.” I won’t even go into Courtney Love’s feature on the album. I think the beginning with her saying “it’s Courtney Bitch” is more than enough. Elton John and Patrick Stump singing in unison on “Save Rock and Roll” doesn’t come off very pleasant to the ears either. Its huge, anthemic ending tries to end the album on a good note, but ends up making it all fall flat on its ass. The only feature worth mentioning is Foxes’ on “Just One Yesterday.” Stump and Foxes harmonize really well and make the track shine just a little. For the most part, the lyrics aren’t that good at all. The album has only one redeeming quality throughout, and that is Stump's progression as a vocalist. On Save Rock and Roll Stump Sounds very relaxed and like he is having fun with the tracks, which is a good thing. He hits the right notes at the right times and makes some of the tracks worth listening to if just a little.

In the end, Save Rock and Roll is your average pop record at best. It’s enjoyable to a certain degree, but it’s also not the best thing to have gone through my ears. Fall Out Boy completely abandon any trace of themselves in order to target an even wider audience. Is it a bad thing? Financially, no. Most of this record will take over radio rock stations and pound your ears until you know every word, and I don’t mean that in a good way. The singles themselves have already been quite successful. However, with Fall Out Boy’s new, poppier sound, they alienate a lot of their supporters who have been with them through the years and sever ties with anything ‘rock’ that helped them craft their sound before. Save Rock and Roll comes off as more of a joke than a serious album and if anything, only helps butcher the meaning of ‘rock and roll’ instead of trying to ‘save’ it. It seems the only thing that needs saving is Fall Out Boy’s music.

Sneeze I'm Going To Kill MyselfSelf Defense Family I'm Going Through Some Shit b/w All Fruit Is Ripe
Citizen YouthTouche Amore/Title Fight Split
The Microphones The Glow Pt. 2Indian Taker/Shortcuts Split
  • brandontaylor (2)
    Barely a blip on the rock and roll radar....

Frasc5 (3)
    An Ambitious album that, despite falling prey to some traps of modern pop music, is noneth...

fromtheinside (4.5)
    Fall Out Boy shoot for the moon and wind up among... Big Sean, Elton John and... Courtney ...

Iain Galbraith (3.5)
    It's good to have them back......

• mpmontes17 (3)
    I believe Save Rock and Roll was meant to be ironic yet true, in the sense that Fall Out B...

Alex Carlson (3.5)
    This isn't a rock album. It's a pop album, and a damn good one at that....

April 9th 2013

Second 'negative' review. Criticism is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted at http://mediasnobs.com/music-review/fall-boy-save-rock-roll/

scissorlocked

that cover is so badass

Digging: Low Roar - Low Roar

theacademy
April 9th 2013

congrats on the review dude

Digging: Charli XCX - Sucker

Gracias.

April 9th 2013

the album title is obviously facetious

that doesn't make it less stupid but still

April 9th 2013

Will start looking for them. Thanks for the heads up, Andcas.

Tyrael

20976 Comments

anarchy, my dear was a lot worse

NeoSpaz

it's pretty bad.

Azn.
April 9th 2013

The album title is really pretentious

Def a bad title.

pepster50
April 9th 2013

By reading your review, it seems your only mad that they changed their genre to top 40 pop. Not that I'm saying I like the album by any means. I only listened once but it seemed pretty decent for what it is. I would have no doubt rather had an album that actually did save rock and roll. lol

dimsim3478
April 9th 2013

People seem to feel the need to endlessly repeat the statement "they named this album Save Rock and Roll when it's not a rock album and sucks as well!"

Digging: Chris Farren - Like a Gift from God or Whatever

pepster50
April 9th 2013

Maybe not, I was just saying I would prefer to actually hear real instruments.

April 9th 2013

I'm not a HUGE fan or anything, but I enjoyed some of their older stuff to a certain degree. I agree that my review did come off maybe a little too subjective? I'll take that as criticism and work on it. It's only my second 'negative' review, so I definitely need to improve.

April 9th 2013

@Andcas It was a 2.5, but while I was making edits earlier, I was listening to the album to see if I could add anything more to the review. It only increased my dislike, so I lowered it to a 2. You're not seeing things, don't worry ;-)

PostMesmeric
April 9th 2013

"I agree that my review did come off maybe a little too subjective?"

It's a review, man. Don't worry about being "too" subjective, as that's the core element of what makes a review. Objectivity is a myth; just write what you believe and back it up with your own selected examples. If someone says you're "wrong", they obviously don't understand what a review is.

As for the negativity, don't sweat it. Breaking outside that comfort zone of positive reviews isn't easy. Just keep practicing. Enjoyed your review either way. Keep up the awesome work.

dylanjones42
April 9th 2013

"It’s not grea,, but it’s also not the best thing to have gone through my ears."

I think this needs to be fixed.

Kris.
April 9th 2013

the cover reminds me of african child or something even tho one of them is a azn

Kris.
April 9th 2013

and why are they holding hands

this whole fucking cover is suspect

April 9th 2013

the point is that it's a kid smoking and dressed in punky clothes and then a monkish looking one holding hands