Lemaitre
Relativity 3

by Wayne H. USER (14 Reviews)
April 5th, 2013 | 7 replies | 1,673 views

Release Date: 03/04/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Makin' our way through time and space...

Music has a curious way of evoking sentiment. In this effect, Norweigan self-proclaimed "discodude" duo Lemaitre have successfully done much more than simply composing an array of consonant sounds. Relativity 3 perfectly encapsulates an innocent mirth akin to capturing the spirit of summer in song. "Continuum" initiates the EP's upbeat electro-pop similar to MGMT's Oracular Spectacular did in 2008, but with an updated sound infused with French electro-house that resolves itself with the best of the current electronic scene without straying too headlong into outright rave territory.

Relativity 3 is predominantly euphoric to be sure, but features more than enough modulation to keep interest. As the video for "Fiction" hilariously illustrates, much of the sound lends a sort of senseless euphoria to the listener, like seeing that one awkward kid in high school finally break out of his shell to comical effect. He doesn't quite know what he's doing, but is so oblivious that judgment would wastefully detract from the joy of it all.

Still, Lemaitre certainly manage to stay distinguishable from their influences. A feel-good joyride of an album in every sense, Relativity 3 is a short and sweet foray that incorporates all of the infectious aspects of electronic music while filtering out the excessive bass and wobble in favor of indie-pop groove and a healthy portion of off-kilter disco tempo.

The EP closes on a sober but cheerful note. Cut to Black's nostalgic lyrics reflect fondly on the passage of time alongside smart piano notes and the most subdued pace on the entire album. The short 4-song collection is a perfect length for its purpose, and more than amply demands the 15 minutes it runs.