For Today
Prevailer

by keverember USER (2 Reviews)
April 5th, 2013 | 133 replies | 7,078 views

Release Date: 04/02/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: For Today hits hard with their most direct project to date.

This is For Today. A For Today album will be a Christian album, and a very blunt and direct one at that. They are not a "It's Christian but you can take it however you want" type of band. Most secular fans will not enjoy the lyrics to any of their records. You have been warned.

Now for my review:

The EP starts off with a strong and heavy track, entitled, "From Zion". The first 45 seconds are For Today's "hype you up" highlight of their career. From then on, the song continues to build, as most of their songs do.

The EP then flows to "Crown of Thorns", which was the first single released off of the record. much like the first song, it builds. This is a theme in most of their songs. The track from start to finish is a strong song.

The next track is their second single off of the record, entitled, "Flesh and Blood". This track is the most dynamic of the 4 heavy tracks, featuring more of clean vocalist, Ryan Leitru.

The last heavy song is entitled "Open Heaven". This track follows the path of the others, musically and lyrically. Being a band that generally makes concept records, this is their most direct. Never straying from the point they are getting across. The lyrics of this record (or any For Today record) will not be popular with their atheist listeners.

The final track on the EP is an acoustic version of the fan favorite, "Fearless". This is a completely new experience for the listener and it went over very well for me. The song is vocally led by lead guitarist/clean vocalist Ryan Leitru and he does well. This EP utilized his vocals more than any of their previous projects, which was a great addition.

If there is one complaint, it is that they have a bit of a formula with the structure of the songs that ring familiar to "Immortal". I give the structures of the songs a 3 and the musical content a 4 split to a 3.5/5.

This project is For Today's most direct and hard-hitting endeavor to date. With each listen, this album proves to be one of my favorite metalcore releases in 2013.

2.9
good
rob g (0.5)
i wrote this for my man keverember...

SilverandBlack5
April 5th 2013

So incredible. I have always loved these guys, but when they said they were going to release a 5 song EP, I was a little skeptical. They are just the kind of band that puts hard work into their albums, not just throw out an EP 10 months after Immortal. I was so wrong though. Their breakdowns, the power, the pure adrenaline rush you get from listening to this thing, is truly just remarkable. Just sucks that it's only 5 songs.

April 5th 2013

I know! It's almost like there was more power in the short list of songs! I am very pleased with it!

RosaParks
April 5th 2013

For Today is a unique entity in the world of metalcore. They are a band with crushing breakdowns

negd

Jesus titty fucking Christ

April 5th 2013

People give it bad ratings just because they don't like the message or For Today. That destroys the purpose of a rating system when dishonest reviews sweep in just to lower the number in the corner.

April 5th 2013

No, we don't like it because it sucks.

Jacquibim

This fucking band lol

Digging: Howls of Ebb - Vigils of the 3rd Eye

RosaParks
April 5th 2013

waiting for kev to justify his point that disliking this music is not possible

April 5th 2013

It is 100% legitimate to dislike a band because of their music, I was stating a fact that this particular group seems to attract people that want to see their ratings be sub-par. I believe that you honestly don't like this band because you don't enjoy the music. That post is for future commenters who would dislike this review and the album without giving it a listen.

April 5th 2013

Well, for one, your review sounds like the ranting of a virgin fanboy Jesus Lover.

Secondly, you make it sound like generic metalcore.

HugCrewLoveRoll
April 5th 2013

Just from the cover I can tell that this is abyssmal.

TooLateToGoBack

lol a 5?

c'mon man

April 5th 2013

Yes, in my opinion, which is what a review is, this is a 5.

April 5th 2013

Hey guys! This band loves Jesus! Auto-5!

FrozenVain

oh lol silly Jebus

April 5th 2013

The message of the project is the life of Jesus, with a timely release around Easter time. In fact, the cover of the project is a picture of Jesus with a crown of thorns. *Note: If you don't enjoy bass drops, this album is not for you. I counted 23 in 4 songs.*

segue of the year

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

joshieboy12345
April 5th 2013

Didn't even know this was coming out. Will check it out.

Digging: For The Fallen Dreams - Heavy Hearts

April 5th 2013

seriously this review is comedy gold, some of you should actually read it

would you like some coffee from a christian coffee shop?

easy pos

April 5th 2013

People still like open note breakdowns? grow up

Digging: More Than Life - What's Left Of Me