Fat Guy Wears Mystic Wolf Shirt
Dys/Closure

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (197 Reviews)
April 5th, 2013 | 15 replies | 3,669 views

Release Date: 04/15/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Less is More

Hailing from the east coast of Australia, Fat Guy Wears Mystic Wolf Shirt from Sydney launch themselves grandly onto the chaotic punk grind scene. These guys wear their music on the sleeves, and despite a long and unforgettable band name their sophomore (only a year after the debut) release, Dys/Closure is sure to scream its way into the hearts of the listener. Citing bands such as the Dillinger Escape Plan and early Botch among the band’s influences these Sydney artists have something to say and remain true to the genre; you should definitely pay attention because it will all be gone in a matter of twenty-two minutes. That’s right, fifteen tracks finished in just over twenty minutes. Their music is fast, furious and backed by an aggressive display that never lets up. I know what you’re thinking. With tracks here and there with lengths around the forty second mark, how can those listening actually achieve any enjoyment out of a release like this? The answer is simple. These guys do it right, pouring blood, sweat and tears into their music. Dys/Closure, shows just how having a dis-jointed short record can work so well in the modern day punk grind genre. This release will make sure you remember this quirky band name.

Fat Guy Wears Mystic Wolf Shirt, promote a sense of urgency, but the song-writing itself feels far from rushed. Touching on genre tags such as power violence, drone, traditional punk and screamo this is a band that would just throw ideas together in the hopes of making a couple of dollars. With such a short run time, this is a record you can listen to, over and over again without becoming bored or flustered. The album stands alone, ensuring that the listener feels just how energetic this young talent is. Overall, this is a fine sophomore release, especially on the back of the band’s like-minded debut. With the unconventional instrumental work and energetic display those who are fans of the genre should definitely look out for Fat Guy Wears Mystic Wolf Shirt. Yes, it’s different and that’s what makes it so great. These guys are willing to experiment, utilizing short track times and intense passages – Thankfully, it works down to a “T”. Fat Guy Wears Mystic Wolf Shirt are an up and coming act to look out for.

In Flames Siren CharmsMastodon Once More ‘Round the Sun
Mayhem Esoteric WarfareArchitects Lost Forever // Lost Together
Kauan PirutMiserable Failure Hope

NocteDominum

Streaming here: http://artascatharsis.bandcamp.com/album/dys-closure/

Pestiferous

you had me at grind

will check, pos'd

well have an invisible pos anyway

NocteDominum
April 5th 2013

better check, on the same label as Serious Beak, Adrift For Days, and We Lost The Sea

FiveLeavesLeft
April 5th 2013

I'll admit, the artist's name caught my eye :P

blastOFFitsPARTYtime
April 5th 2013

^checking solely for that reason

joshieboy12345
April 5th 2013

One hell of a band name.

foxblood
April 5th 2013

a grind band with a name like that, must hear

Scoot

oh my god that name

kingsoby1

nice dig bro

Brostep
April 5th 2013

extra comma there, otherwise great job. May check this soon but I'm way behind on stuff I have to listen to.

SadAndHolyGlow
April 6th 2013

So true. This is what I love about their debut, too, which I just added to the Sputnik database. Great review.

Digging: Ritual Mess - Vile Art

joshieboy12345
April 7th 2013

Still greatest band name ever.

DallyLama
April 12th 2013

someones been listening to dillinger

Raz0rGrind23
August 1st 2013

Nice review. All I have to say to this is: Japanische Kampfhorspiele.

Thats is all.

MosesMalone
August 1st 2013

I liked this band when I first heard them (I could swear they were on some comp I had a year or two ago?) but then I realized they're just dillingrind and it's kinda boring.