Blue Oyster Cult
Heaven Forbid

by kual21 USER (16 Reviews)
April 4th, 2013 | 6 replies | 1,301 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It gives is a really great sample of what rock music should have been in 1998, it's a very credible piece of work technically and musically.

Heaven Forbid is the first album of Blue Öyster Cult after ten years of absence. Blue Öyster Cult always were pioneers in the rock industry, belonging to a small group of bands in the 70's that helped to build rock music, mainly the hard-rock and heavy metal styles. The American natives are one of my favorite bands of all time, my respect for the band is immense not only musically but professionally. One of the great features of the band is the fact that they had the ability to stay on top for so long, not commercially but in terms of music style.

After ten years of changes in the music industry with the arrival of alternative rock and grunge music, Blue Öyster Cult weren't, in fact, the top favorites to sell albums in 1998. When I listened the album I had to say I was so impressed, I know all the discography of the band and after so many changes and different music styles existing at that time, the group was able to make a solid and very credible rock album. Most of the band lineup was the same throughout the years and that helped to make the album much more nostalgic and so rock oriented.

It starts superbly with a great pack of songs that remind me of the first two or three albums of the band. In this album there is a great feeling with good riffs, solos and vocal performances. Lyrically the band tries to stay in the same style, in my opinion, keeping in their safe place not risking too much in this part. Blue Öyster Cult keeps the melody in each of the songs of the album, it's a trademark of the band joining heavy metal and melodic rock. Another great feature is the number of guest musicians in the album, they joined a big group of people, they really tried to make this album something special.

Don't get me wrong, this album is far from perfection, it lacks the spark they had with the Bouchard brothers; definitely it's not a remake of Blue Öyster Cult, Secret Treaties or Agents Of Fortune, it doesn't have the same quality. The magic that existed in songs such as "Astronomy", "The Reaper" or "Cities On Flame With Rock And Roll" just doesn't exist. The songs on this album are great but don't give the classic Blue Öyster Cult to the fans of the band. What it gives is a really great sample of what rock music should have been in 1998, it's a very credible piece of work technically and musically.

Black Star Riders All Hell Breaks LooseDeep Purple Now What?!
Rush FeedbackSaga The Chapters (Live)
City Boy The Day the Earth Caught FireRush Clockwork Angels
3.3

manosg
April 4th 2013

I remember buying this album back in 1998 as part of a packaged deal and I was really impressed because I wasn't expecting anything special from BOC at that time.

Unfortunately, I haven't listened to it recently so I can't rate it but it has to be somewhere between 3-3.5. Once again, good choice for a review, pos.

Digging: Donovan - Sunshine Superman

KjSwantko
April 4th 2013

FYI, don't have two reviews on the front page at the same time. Some people get pissed and may autoneg you.

kual21
April 4th 2013

I didn't know that... thanks for the information

CaptainHadouken

1960 Comments

Good stuff

Demolitionizer
November 8th 2013

My favorite Blue Oyster Cult record. Stand outs include: "See You In Black", "X-Ray Eyes", "Hammer Back" and the very cool "In Thee". I recommend it.

manosg
November 8th 2013

Interesting choice. It's the first time I see someone saying that Heaven Forbid is their favorite BOC album. Most times it's Secret Treaties or some older album of theirs.