Armor For Sleep
What To Do When You Are Dead

by BGChargers123 USER (4 Reviews)
April 4th, 2013 | 71 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: By taking an intriguing concept and molding a solid rock album around it, Armor For Sleep avoids the perennial sophomore slump in a big way.

Ahhh, Armor For Sleeps 2005 sophomore offering, "what to do when you are dead." One of the few albums that Have helped me overcome some very dark times, while still allowing me to listen to it again and again without losing any of it's punch. Befor me I begin the review, let me just make it clear that this is NOT a happy/uplifting album. Singer/lyricist Ben Jorgensen, while producing some beautiful and thought provoking lines, does not offer much inspiration throughout this album, but instead focuses on the dark times that everybody must face in life which, in turn, makes for an eerily relateable album in so many ways. Armor For Sleep, a 4 piece from New Jersey, is:
Ben Jorgensen- vocals, rhythm guitar
P J DeCicco- lead guitar
Anthony Dilono- bass
Nash Breen- drums, percussion

"What To Do When You are Dead," is a concept album, centered around the idea of A certain protagonist dying and reflecting back on his life, with the entire album being written by Ben from the perspective of being dead. The creativity is at a high here, a great plus for any album that definitely serves as the backbone for this particular one. On to the songs:

Right off the bat, we are blasted with perhaps Armor For Sleeps most popular song to date, Car Underwater, and for good reason. Great/relateable lyrics regarding a failed relationship, catchy hooks, some simple but great riffs from PJ and steady drumming/bass from Nash and Anthony respectfully. Bens voice is great in this one, filled with angst and emotion yet controlled at the same time, a theme for him throughout most of the album, this song is Armor For Sleep. Without letting up, we are smacked with some of the best written lyrics on the entire cd, the truth about heaven. Once again , PJ and Ben handle the guitars extremely well and play right off each other, Anthony's bass is surprisingly audible and Nash as always keeps the tempo to perfection, another catchy song and one of the best on the album. Next up is Remember to feel real, a simple yet powerful song that truly sums up just how strong feelings for a significant other can be. Somewhat catchy as well, another strong song for the record.

On to Awkward last words, personally one of my favorites in the album in terms of lyrics and vocal range from Ben here. Nice intro from PJ on guitar followed strongly by Nashs crash pounding and Anthony's solid bass, this song shifts the story of the record into the regretting phase of the story , and while this song is very dark, it is eerily relateable and powerful. Now we have Stay on the ground, a pretty underrated song that nearly everyone can relate to when they are having a bad day, well delivered by Ben so much that you can sense the passion and urgency in his voice, instruments sound as usual, good track. The short but masterful A Quick little flight follows, and while I don't approve of the almost autotuning on the song, the lyrics are beautiful and really make one think about life. Transitions well into the next track The More you talk the less I hear, which is extremely underrated and my favorite on the album. Ben is at his best on the vocal end, singing with so much emotion that on the chorus he is practically screaming while managing to keep his voice in check, and once again I love the lyrics, great drumming here too, check this one out for sure.

Basement ghost singing, much like the previous track, is highly underrated, and while the lyrics are typical emo, Ben delivers it well, but the guitar work is at its best here, with pj and Ben keeping an eery tune up the whole song , a super track. Oh man, our of the frying pan and into the oven, Waling at night, alone fits once again with the previous two, bens lyrics at its finest, a perfectly relateable song for anyone struggling with that relationship . I have been right all along delivers solid lyrics with a nice bass fill here actually, and just a decent song to round out the album with a pretty catchy chorus. To end the album, The sad but ever so true the end of a fraud appears, concluding the story of the album with its protagonist finally accepting his fate and moving on with himself, eery tune once again but great musician skill to produce it and a solid way to close out the cd.

Overall, What to do when you are dead provides listeners with great lyrics, vocals packed with emotion, solid instrumental work and a strong concept behind the work, which all adds up into one great rock/emo album that all fans of the genre should give a listen to .

Key tracks : Car underwater, truth about heaven, awkward last words, the more you talk, wAlking at night alone

Calc
April 3rd 2013

One of the better executed concept album IMO. I think specifically this album deals with the 7 stages of grief which is pretty interesting.

This review however isn't horribly terrible but it is bad. Track by tracks are lame and a little editing would've helped.

Digging: Mr. Oizo - The Church

April 3rd 2013

Love this album. Dude your reviewing needs a bit of work. Capitalise song titles, and your paragraphs are out of wack. Keep writing, and you will only get better with practice.

sixdegrees
April 3rd 2013

oh hey it's that band with the singer who looks like justin long

Cygnatti

gd album

car underwater!

Digging: Chansey - Natural Cure

Calc
April 3rd 2013

He did some weird electro crap after this..made me sad.

April 3rd 2013

Remember To Feel Real is awesome.

Their one good album

Digging: The Birthday Massacre - Superstition

Brostep
April 3rd 2013

"Ahhh, Armor For Sleeps 2005 sophomore offering, "what to do when you are dead.""

Not a particularly good opening sentence.

I'M IN A CAR UNDERWATER WITH TIME TO KILL

Only ever heard that song, might check out the whole album

Digging: Bobby Barnett - Little Wounds

Ecnalzen
April 3rd 2013

This band... kinda on the not so good side. I really like Basement Ghost Singing, but almost purely because of the sweet
delay on the guitar in the verses.

I never really saw the point of listing the bands names and what they play in a review. If you are going to use their
names in the actual review itself, you are most likely going to say what they do anyway. Seems like a waste of space to
me.

YoYoMancuso
April 3rd 2013

my sister loves this band, decent review man i'll pos it

WashboardSuds
April 3rd 2013

used to dig this band, not much anymore. still a cool album

Digging: Sachiko M, Toshimaru Nakamura & Otomo... - Good Morning Good Night

April 3rd 2013

good album, fairly poor review.

April 3rd 2013

Few songs in, this is aight
If I heard this when it came out I'd probably like it a lot more

April 3rd 2013

no way andcas, smile for them had farrrr tooo much filler.

April 3rd 2013

the draggy "Hold The Door" for one. Think I 3'd that one, Williamsburg and Lullaby were jams.

April 4th 2013

good album, i think nothing compared to this one though. something about a concept album.

April 4th 2013

Awkward Last Words reminds me of Year 9.

20077 Comments

Haven't heard this in a loooong time

Digging: Circa Survive - Descensus

toxin.
April 4th 2013

i plan on keeping it that way