Lights & Motion
Reanimation

by Caleb C. USER (26 Reviews)
April 3rd, 2013 | 9 replies | 2,172 views

Release Date: 01/16/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Gorgeous but empty.

I think it was due to my surroundings that I was so willing to crown Lights & Motion the next big thing in post rock. Walking home from a late class with light snow flurries glistening from the streetlights certainly framed the music in a favorable light. It turns out 'Reanimation' fits that whole picturesque scenario almost too perfectly. With gentle cascading piano and lilting strings echoing through the empty night, I can’t imagine a snowflake having a better soundtrack for descent. There was nothing especially unique about the music, just consistent beauty that filled my mind with improbable dreams. It coaxed out a sense wonder that made me look at the Earth for more than just a footfall between unending stresses. This was it, the album that could put me in a mindset to forget problems and escape from the grey of daily life.

The next day was a dismal affair, no sun to speak of and just enough wind to make the cold uncomfortable. Deciding to spin 'Reanimation' again to reach that realm of blissful carelessness, I grew upset when no escape came. In fact, the album almost seemed to be ignorant, swelling with happiness in its climaxes when there was no reason for such glee. The clash was overwhelming, and the music became intolerable. It was obvious, then, that the music had no ability to create a picture of its own. It required a frame of reference--a visual aid that allowed the music to become a backdrop, elevating beyond its simplicity to a land of more. This is a problem that plagues most instrumental rock bands in post-'The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place' era--a problem that was masked by the exquisiteness of the music for my particular environment. Lights & Motion has created a vibrant beauty in 'Reanimation', the likes of which hasn't been seen in post-rock for many years, but haven’t grounded it in reality. It’s too bad, too, because when you see it in the right light, it’s damn near perfection.

Linkin Park The Hunting PartyMongol Horde Mongol Horde

album is awesome-o

Digging: Jizue - Shiori

April 3rd 2013

1988 Comments

i agree with your first assessment of this album. i don't agree with your second. it's very derivative, this album is, but it's the best of its kind. the pinnacle of post-Earth music. always cheers me up even when im miserable.

by the way you should add "the exquisite death of saxon shore" by saxon shore to the recommended albums list. that album has a lot in common with reanimation. kind of feels like its precursor. if you haven't heard it, check it out.

edit: btw by "post-Earth" i mean post-rock after the earth is not a cold dead place. i think this kind of music needs a new genre name since it has nothing to do with the ideologies of post-rock of old. post-Earth mofos

June 20th 2013

vinyl release

IslamicPenguins
August 16th 2013

A few months later on second listen I like this a hell of a lot more than I did before

1988 Comments

he has a new full length album coming out in october

will obtain

conquerstrife
September 23rd 2013

Dont know if I've ever agreed with an album review more than this one. Fits completely. There is something major that this album is missing that other post-rock albums have; not sure if it's empty but its something big. Still looking forward to the next release.

November 11th 2013

1988 Comments

new one is out deepelmdigital.com