Jose Cid
10,000 Anos Depois Entre Venus E Marte

by kual21 USER (16 Reviews)
April 2nd, 2013 | 9 replies | 7,529 views

Release Date: 1978 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's the only real progressive and conceptual album ever devised in Portugal. The album features seven tracks of the most pure and complex compositions ever done in the progressive rock scene.

On May 15th 1978 José Cid releases one of the most unique records ever done in the progressive world, entitled 10000 Anos Depois Entre Vénus e Marte. Most of José Cid's successes are not progressive tracks, quite the contrary, all of his hits are pop songs related to life, love and commitment. His early work with Quarteto 1111 and some of his early work as a solo artist is inspired in some of the greats such as Pink Floyd, The Moody Blues, King Crimson or Emerson, Lake & Palmer. In 1978 he was able to release the only real progressive and conceptual album ever devised in Portugal.

Although not being an underrated masterpiece internationally, it is clearly underrated here in Portugal. In spite of the several awards and recognition received internationally, this album doesn't seem to attract the attention of the Portuguese audience. Even the Portuguese rock and metal audiences aren't aware of its existence, clearly due to the lack of music culture we (Portuguese) have. Alongside Ramon Galarza (drums), Zé Nabo (bass, eletric guitar, 12-strings guitar and acoustic guitar) and Mike Sargeant (eletric guitar), Cid releases an essential album and a true masterpiece of rock music. Its concept is based on science fiction, the concept is that, 10000 years after the self destruction of mankind, one man and a woman return to Earth to repopulate it again. The tracks are emotional and full of contemplation about the mistakes of the past made by mankind. Most of the tracks were composed by José Cid alongside with Ramon Galarza and Mike Sargeant. The record is mainly dominated by the sweet sound of the Mellotron; the magical agressiveness and at the same time smoothness of the guitar; and the very well composed and integrated bass solidifying the quality of this album.

It's by far one of the most complete and exquisite space voyages a listener can have, and it's indeed an essential album for those who appreciate progressive rock mixed with the cosmic/space rock styles. The entire album is an highlight!! The album features seven tracks of the most pure and complex compositions ever done in the progressive rock scene. Although released in 1978, it's a breakthough in the music world, mainly due to its concept that is quite creative in its essence. The group performance is world class and it is at the level of any of the giants of the genre. Its production is one of the best ever made in Portugal. Not even nowadays something as progressive and conceptual has been done in Portugal, it's in my opinion an unique album in the Portuguese music industry. From 0 to 5 I give it a 5 without any doubt, it's one of the few albums in the music world that is perfect. In every field possible the group delivers an exemplary job: amazing performance, creative concept, great production, technically perfect and originality. It's heavy but also melodramatic when necessary, and also not to forget the fact that it was a very risky release in a country that not even today appreciates progressive rock or even rock music. The portuguese audience completely ignored this release, at the time, explaining perhaps why it's so underrated and it was the last progressive effort made by this great artist, José Cid.

All in all, it's almost 40 minutes of pure excellence with some of the most iconic compositions of the 70's. Independently of being a Portuguese album, 10000 Anos Depois Entre Vénus e Marte is a true masterpiece and should be acknowledged for its value. It has the excellence of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway of Genesis; the creativeness of the Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall of Pink Floyd; the intelligence of 2112 and A Farewell To Kings of Rush; the emotion of In The Court of the Crimson King of King Crimson; and the smoothness of Emerson, Lake & Palmer. It's a mandatory album for any fan of good music!!!

Black Star Riders All Hell Breaks LooseDeep Purple Now What?!
Rush FeedbackSaga The Chapters (Live)
City Boy The Day the Earth Caught FireRush Clockwork Angels
4.4
JohnnyBarrett (5)
For being one of the best progressive records ever done (top 100 best progressive rock albums by bil...

SgtPepper
April 3rd 2013

I gotta check this out, never heard of it but sounds great. POS'd.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

RadicalEd
October 12th 2013

Incredible Album.

itchybutthole
December 7th 2013

straight out of portugal biatch

Digging: Ricardo Villalobos - Vasco

ojorgesobral
December 31st 2013

o caos

Digging: Jandek - Blue Corpse

musicalmedicine
January 3rd 2014

Amazing album, the best Portuguese album ever made! Proud.

RadicalEd
February 21st 2014

Way overlooked.

manosg
February 25th 2014

This is definitely some great stuff but I can't get through the fact that the lyrics are in Portuguese so I won't rate it for now because I'm afraid I won't do it justice.

Digging: Anacrusis - Manic Impressions

MrSirLordGentleman
February 28th 2014

C'mon manosg, the lyrics aren't everything, I rated Harmonium and I don't know french, you are greek, aren't you? non-english speakers (as mother language) should understand that more than anyone

Digging: Weezer - Weezer

manosg
February 28th 2014

I don't mind that I don't understand the lyrics, I'm ok with that. However, I can't get into the combination of Portuguese lyrics with this kind of music. I'd have the same trouble if it was in Greek.