Marillion
Sounds That Can't Be Made

by kual21 USER (16 Reviews)
April 2nd, 2013 | 40 replies | 2,545 views

Review Summary: It's a "must-listen" album for the fans and true admirers of the band. For those who don't like the band's persona, I wouldn't recommend the entire album but at least three or four tracks.

Sounds That Can't Be Made is a release from late 2012 from the British Marillion. Ever since Steve "h" Hogarth's entrance in the band, Marillion presented a very different personality compared to what they presented with Fish. I read once in a magazine or in the Internet that if Coldplay had released an album like this, the album would already sold out all over the world. I agree with the sentence, Marillion are put aside when it comes to selling albums, but I also think it's their own fault. Their material is not commercial at all, mainly ever since Hogarth's entrance in the band. They are definitely more artistic, but the big problem is that all the songs have a very deep meaning and don't go straight to the point.

In this album, the British natives return with a typical Marillion' album: very artistic, deep, meaningful and very very lenghty. I like the band now but I enjoyed them much more in the Fish-era, they were much more progressive, direct and straightforward with their music than they are now. The album itself covers all type of favourite subjects for Marillion like war, love, reflection, thought and life. Sounds That Can't Be Made starts with the very real and emotional "Gaza", the track is a 17-minute epic track with different tempos and different degrees of intensity. There are three different songs with more than ten minutes of length time: "Gaza", "Montreal" and "The Sky Above The Rain". The title track is one of my favorites, "Sound That Can't Be Made" is one of the shortest tracks in the album and one of the most difficult to interpret, it may have different meanings and several interpretations. It's very well produced, like all the albums of the group, the band always kept a great sense of regard in that field. The band's performance is perfect for this album, great voice by Steve "h" Hogarth, great guitar moments by Steve Rothery and great instrumental union of the bass, drums and keyboards.

Although I have a few critics of the style of playing and composing of the band, I admire their talent. The band is one of the few that like to give the fans their money worth and like to play what they want and not what is commercially accepted. They compose what they love and never sold out to some type of radio audience. "Gaza", "Sounds That Can't Be Made", "Power" and "Montreal" are my favourite tracks. It's a "must-listen" album for the fans and true admirers of the band. For those who don't like the band's persona, I wouldn't recommend the entire album but at least three or four tracks.

Black Star Riders All Hell Breaks LooseDeep Purple Now What?!
Rush FeedbackSaga The Chapters (Live)
City Boy The Day the Earth Caught FireRush Clockwork Angels

ViperAces

sounds interesting

TheNotrap
April 2nd 2013

Album has really interesting moments.
I read the review later.

Digging: Savage Grace - Master Of Disguise

Pos'd

small correction in the summary - three 'or' four tracks

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

Mad.
April 2nd 2013

Finally a review for this. Try and make the summary different to the last sentence though.

Digging: Anubis - Hitchhiking to Byzantium

kual21
April 2nd 2013

Thanks for the warning. Corrections made

greets,
kual21 (aka AndMetalForAll)

Jethro42
April 2nd 2013

I think I'll take a chance on this album even if I'm more fond of the Fish era. After all, they have so many great songs throughout their discography. And I was sold with your Coldplay's reference (not really a fan, just got the image). Excellent review.

Scoot
April 3rd 2013

great band, so underrated

April 12th 2014

wish they'd never made these sounds, this is like being bludgeoned to death by a pillow, no inspiration at all

Digging: Nemrud - Journey of the Shaman

April 12th 2014

should i listen to marbles martin

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

April 12th 2014

Marbles is ok for a post fish album

April 12th 2014

its like their highest rated album on rym lol

April 12th 2014

higher than the fish ones ? thats crazy its not even as good as Brave and way off the first 4

MrSirLordGentleman
April 12th 2014

Please excuse me, I never meant to break your heart.
So sorry I never meant to break your heart

Digging: Weezer - Weezer

April 12th 2014

higher than script and fugazi yea lol

sounds like they lost their marbles! haha! hahahaha!!!!!!

April 12th 2014

kayleigh became the most popular girl baby name in UK that year bcos of that damn song

April 12th 2014

piss off lord this is h country

April 12th 2014

honestly have you heard this, they got no ideas left at all

MrSirLordGentleman
April 12th 2014

You really have high expectations for a XXI century release of an old band?

April 12th 2014

why not, some still pull it off after decades

ha i havent

and yea rush showed all these bitches whats up