Emperor
In the Nightside Eclipse

by Joxer The Mighty USER (20 Reviews)
March 31st, 2013 | 37 replies

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: In the Nightside Eclipse is a chaotic, unrelenting, spellbinding symphonic massacre and also one of the best albums ever written.

Some things in life are really hard to describe and one of those things is the atmosphere that In the Nightside Eclipse possess. Sitting through this album in one run is like becoming a part of it and it gobbles you up and swallows you whole. Not many albums can create just this certain feeling of being a part of the fantasy. So as one sits back and enjoys this masterpiece, he is bound to get lost at least somewhere along the way. It might not be at the start, but thy will eventually slip and fall Into the Infinity of Thoughts and disappear In the Nightside Eclipse.

The symphonic parts of this album are simply anti-godly. Yes, that’s how amazingly good they are. They are almost solely the reason why In the Nightside Eclipse is such a memorable and strong album. The Keyboard is always looming in the background and it’s always very haunting and dreamy. With long and mighty accords with the sound of wailing choirs the keyboard creates a fourth wall that separates the listener from reality. The intro song is also a fantastic example of how the mood and presence of an album should be done. The intro is very evil and scary and it’s just simply one minute of complete darkness which renders the listener helpless. A lot of this rest upon the listener as well. You need to let yourself become mesmerized.

Sure, this album is beautiful, but it is on the other hand a beast and a demon from beyond. The entire album is a complete massacre and a mess of blast beats and fantastic riffs. A lot of the riffs are tremolo based and if listened to closely, they are all very catchy, eerie and some of the best in black metal. While the keyboard gives In the Nightside Eclipse atmosphere the riffs and the drumming is the substance and the meat on the bones. The guitar sound is actually on its own very ambient, but still works best together with the keyboard. Drums are important and so are a lot of blast beats and Emperor knew this. Certain songs have more reckless drumming than others such as Into the Infinity of Thoughts and The Burning Shadows of Silence while Beyond the Great Vast Forest and Towards the Pantheon takes it a bit slower, but In the Nightside Eclipse hasn’t even one dull moment. The vocals are hoarse and ravaging just as they should be.

Many of the song titles have been mentioned in this review and I think that we can all agree that they are some of the best titles in metal history. They are epic and packed with emotion and effect, but what really makes them amazing the way they pretty much creates the unknown. All the song titles are very strange and foreboding such as Beyond the Great Vast Forest. I want to know and I want to become a part of the tale that tells us just that story. The unknown is thoroughly explored here and it is a marvelous place.

Whispered Shogunate MacabreI Shall Move the Earth Blueprints MMXIII
Pig Destroyer Prowler in the YardRotting Christ Sanctus Diavolos
Eyeconoclast Drones of the AwakeningFeared Furor Incarnatus
4.4

March 31st 2013

Here you go! The full album for those who for some reason have not heard this yet.

This review turned out kinda cheesy, but I'm happy with it.

oltnabrick

Album is gr8 ye

Digging: Prurient - Bermuda Drain

VanSchuldiner
March 31st 2013

Pos'd ...nice rev,rly love this album alot

MoosechriS

Album is as they say "the tits" M/

@Vanbro
thanks man!
@Moo
Indeed! Nice avatar of Emperor by the way.

DropdeadWHA
March 31st 2013

Solid review. Album is a beast.

lostforwords
March 31st 2013

Review is good, pos'd, even though I'm not really sure you needed that last paragraph. The first paragraph however describes perfectly the uniqueness of In the Nightside Eclipse.
Album is a beast (2)

ViperAces
March 31st 2013

could never get into this album

March 31st 2013

I guess it's pointless to say that you should give it another try, but really...Album is a beast (3)

"The first paragraph however describes perfectly the uniqueness of In the Nightside Eclipse."

I'm glad to hear that.

Vakarian12
March 31st 2013

been meaning to check this out for ages

Digging: Eternum - The Devouring Descent

scissorlocked

do it it's good

have a physical copy with photos of castles taken from Ishahn, creepy stuff

@Scissor

Sounds cool. I like old castles.

Jacquibim
March 31st 2013

Storm of the Light's Bane is the only BM I've 5'd.

Well that and The Mantle but you could hardly count that as BM.

Digging: We Will Fail - Verstrung

conesmoke
March 31st 2013

i think this > storm of the lights bane. Into the infinity of thoughts is probably my favourite track off this, but the whole thing is utterly amazing. m/ cool review, pos

conesmoke
March 31st 2013

and you're right, those tremolo riffs are very catchy, just takes a while to remember them.

DrMaximus
March 31st 2013

This album is awesome, agreed

FiniteUniverse
March 31st 2013

This definitely is one of those rare, flawless albums. The atmosphere is absorbing to the point that it can immerse listeners in its fantasy universe, so your descriptions are very appropriate.
Very nice review btw!