Sunn O)))
Flight of the Behemoth

by Jack Boaden USER (29 Reviews)
March 30th, 2013 | 18 replies | 1,977 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A journey into desolate soundscapes.

It’s incredibly difficult to describe the appeal of Sunn’s music - not a lot of people will be eager to hear a 50 minute record that’s built around only a handful of songs with riffs that can last up to two minutes at 10BPM. The band - built up of Greg Anderson and Stephen O’Malley - rarely, if ever, adhere to a traditional rock / metal song structure, often opting instead to ride out many riffs, improvising as they go.

If you’ve listened to other Sunn records before, it’s incredibly similar, but this time the band have upped the atmosphere and the riffs like never before. The guitars sound particularly ominous and huge, and that’s something Sunn do far better than many of their contemporaries. Don’t be fooled though - although riffs are present, it is still incredibly slow and downtuned. At a high volume, the clean (as far as the genre’s standards go, anyway) production of Flight Of The Behemoth results in the extremely minimalist guitars sound suffocating, threatening almost. And that’s where the band score more points. The atmosphere present here is leagues above their previous releases, and indeed many releases within the genre as a whole. The bleakness conveyed throughout these 50 minutes brings about thoughts of trudging through dark forests during winter-time whilst wearing black robes.

The album’s flaws are evident in the middle - the two tracks which feature collaboration with Merzbow are disappointing to say the least. O))) Bow 1 and 2 sees the Japanese musician layer swirling electronic sounds and incredibly disjointed and atonal piano lines which interrupt and wreck the incredibly desolate atmosphere the band has been working towards for the past twenty-something minutes. And it’s not like Merzbow’s contributions are short either - he manages to fill twenty minutes of Sunn’s tracks with this. After this, the album isn’t quite the same. The album finishes on a high note though as the Metallica cover of For Whom The Bell Tolls is an incredibly innovative and sinister spin on the original.

The only flaw to be found seems to be Merzbow's contributions which wreck any chance of "Flight of the Behemoth" being considered a classic among the genre. However, all contempt for the middle two tracks aside, the band have created yet another solid piece of doom influenced drone metal.

The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereBrutality Will Prevail Suspension of Consciousness
Ingested Revered By No One, Feared By AllFOCUSEDxMINDS The Fact Remains
Drug Church Paul WalkerSister Sin Dance Of The Wicked
3.3
thecosmicwizard (4)

March 30th 2013

Holy fucking crap drone is hard to review. Any criticism / feedback on writing a review or reviewing drone (plz) would be rad.

MichaelSnoxall
March 30th 2013

Not quite as fast as the title implies

I always thought a behemoth in flight would be a slow process, not a fast one.

But anyways, this is my fave Sunn O))) album

March 30th 2013

I misinterpreted it then, assumed flight meant fast, I'll change it when I get chance!

MichaelSnoxall
March 30th 2013

Yeah, but a behemoth is something massive and heavy, which I would affiliate with slow.

March 30th 2013

i love Sunn, but i haven't checked this one yet. might get on that.

Digging: Failure - Magnified

March 30th 2013

Do it, man! It's their debut LP I think, so it's pretty interesting to see how they've progressed

XGX
March 30th 2013

Sunn has always been fun to listen to while I'm drinking orange juice, tanning at the beach, looking at hot milfs in tight bikinis pass by.

March 30th 2013

no im pretty sure OO Void is their first, i've heard half of that one and it was alright.

got this dl'd, gonna listen soon. good review btw.

March 30th 2013

nice read except I don't agree with summary either but that doesn't mean that u don't get a pos

March 30th 2013

Cheers for the feedback c:

March 30th 2013

lol oh man the final track has the best title ever.

FWTBT (I Dream of Lars Ulrich Being Thrown Through the Bus Window instead of My Mystikal Master Kliff Burton)

March 30th 2013

Too true though. The cover's kinda cool. Sounds like the original but at like 7bpm

is it a cover? hmm thats interesting considering how its 17 minutes

on the first track now, holy ef this is heavy

Yeah, it's a cover of For Whom The Bell Tolls :P

Ire

rating is rong

sideburndude

Love me some Sunn

nice summ fix

SCREAM!
July 24th 2013

Just got around to listening to this one and those Bow tracks really do ruin the flow of the album. Probably my least favourite out of the Sunn I've heard so far

Digging: Old Witch - Come Mourning Come